The Hardy Boys - S1E5 - The Drop

Started by SkyWarp, December 05, 2020, 01:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

The chums all come together for "The Drop", the fifth episode of the Hardy Boys TV show.

We see that Joe is a very highly skilled smelter/forger in addition to his lock picking skills.  Perhaps he gets the forger skills from his Aunt Trudy's artist skills?   

Aunt Trudy and Grandma Gloria Estabrook appear to try to make their dislike between them go away.  I am not sure either is doing it for full good reasons, but time will tell.  We find out that neither Laura Hardy or Fenton Hardy ever really liked Laura's mom Gloria. 

Wilt's Deli (where Frank has a part time job) appears to be like the Mr. Pizza of the Casefiles.  They tend to meet at the deli a lot. 

Speaking of other comparison's, there is a character by the name of JB Cox.  He seems to be a little bit like a male version of Charity from the Casefiles.  Only time will tell if this holds up.  There are a lot of secrets that haven't been completely unfolded in this series yet. 

In this episode, we get to see parts of Chet's farm, including empty animal pens. 

Samuel Peterson makes a third appearance.  The more I think about it.  The fact that Samuel Peterson is even in this series makes me think that there has to be someone on the production team or writing team that knows a little more about the Hardy Boys than the average reader. 

At this point, I like this show pretty well.  My only two small issues:

1) What happened to the Ezra story line?
2) Chet and Phil are just mixed up.  Those two characters need switched in my mind. 

P.S.  I am still not sure about Aunt Trudy and there is just a really strange dynamic between her and Jesse Hooper.  Hopefully I am reading more into it than is there. 

MacGyver

Samuel Peterson is a Casefiles-specific character so clearly the show is taking some inspiration from those books. That's pretty cool. 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I don't appreciate Aunt Trudy swearing by God's Name or at all or hearing Joe use an expletive, along with the villain. Unfortunately, it seems like there may be some language issues I'll have to look out for with this show.  :(
Of course, the language is in keeping with what The Hardy Boys have been allowed to say in the Undercover Brothers and Adventures books, which I'm upset with too.
   Of course, Frank and Joe also tell a ton of lies throughout the series, though I know it's often to cover for their detective work. Of course, they're not the only ones. Still, it's not right or a good example.
   I noticed one of the villains using a payphone in a telephone booth by Westdale United Church. I'll assume that's a neighbouring town to Bridgeport, perhaps?
   I like how Frank and Joe read from their dad's books to sharpen their detective skills. It makes it feel like this show is meant to be a prequel series to the Digests/Casefiles, where Frank and Joe are still learning how to solve mysteries.
    Also, Joe mentions pinball, which definitely makes it feel lime it's in the '80s. However, I also notice Frank and Joe using phrases that seem more modern and that I don't think we're used in the '80s. I also found it interesting that Frank called Officer Hooper by her first name.
      I was also glad for more 1980s music. We had a 1982 dance hit from a British synth-pop group called Yazoo with their song Situation. The other song used, Don't Poison the Well by Jordie Lane and Clare Reynolds, is likely an original written for the show.
     And I really loved seeing the chums working together and forge a bond as friends and a team! :) 8)
It was also great to see The Queen again, along with Chet's farm.
   I am have really been enjoying this series quite a lot, even despite its flaws. I am really glad this show is a LOT better than I thought it might be at first.

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SkyWarp

While adding items to the encyclopedia for this episode, I came across the real world location of where one of the scenes was filmed.  The Westdale United Church can be seen on Google Maps here (you may need to move around the building/street to orient it just right):  https://goo.gl/maps/WCPKx8uKFxEpKusT6

Other than a phone booth missing from the parking lot and an old car being strategically placed, the scene from the episode and the google maps street view are pretty much identical. 

SkyWarp

It would appear they used this area around Westdale Church for other scenes as well.  Notice the phone booth and such in the background?