The Hardy Boys - S1E4 - Secrets and Lies

Started by SkyWarp, December 05, 2020, 12:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

Bridgeport is an interesting place. 

We learn that it has a library with what appears to be a very large archive. 

We get to see the outside of the police station and it would appear to be just a small old building downtown among other buildings. 

Before 1915 there wasn't much of anything in Bridgeport and then BOOM, the place really took off. 

We haven't really been given much information on where Bridgeport is located.  But we were given our first name of another location in Episode 4: the municipality of Dixon City.   Now this is most likely a simple homage to the name Franklin W Dixon, but there is a true place called Dixon City in Pennsylvania on the east side of the state.  And considering the context of how Dixon City was used, I can see this being also a legitimate location geographically to show that Bridgeport is somewhere on the east coast. 

SPOILER WARNING

We also learn that Chet and Callie are a thing or together, but you get the strong impression that Callie is gaining feelings for Frank.  Meanwhile, Frank's girlfriend "Emma" makes a second appearance and breaks up with Frank because of the geographical long distance between them. 

Callie's backstory is filled out a lot more too.  We learn that Callie's dad owns a store in Bridgeport and doesn't really want his daughter to leave the town when she graduates from High School.  She is also a big nerd it would seem as she tells Frank and that she routinely breaks into the Library at night to study.  She does seem to have some journalistic/detective tendencies.  And this does make the character feel right at place with the Casefiles books. 

Meanwhile, we learn that Aunt Trudy is an artist.  Aunt Trudy Hardy is currently giving off a vibe to me that there is more to her than meets the eye maybe sort of like how grandma Gloria Estabrook has a lot more about her than we know so far.  But I don't think the two are very friendly to each other.

We are led to believe that there was a secret group that controlled a lot of what happens in Bridgeport in past years and that it may still be in existence today. 

Joe and Biff are spending a lot of time together and starting to get along pretty well. 

Still a great story in my mind. 

MacGyver

I am glad to hear the library is prominent!  :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Upon watching the fourth episode, I have a few observations. First, it was great hearing Hold Me Now By The Thompson Twins in the episode- very fitting for Frank and Emma's break up scene. I also noticed a poster of some sort (I think for a movie) that said "This season- summer 1984". Thus, the show is likely set somewhere near 1984- either shortly before or shortly after most likely.
   I appreciate the mention of Dixon City too- nice homage to Franklin W. Dixon. I also appreciate seeing the huge public library! For a town talked about like it's a small town, that's an impressively huge library. I loved seeing Frank using microfilm, something I've used myself at times. This in itself is a huge throwback to the original series. It seems there were countless times The Hardy Boys were said to be investigating via looking at information on microfilm. Of course, they weren't breaking into the library to do it, usually. There seems to be quite a bit of breaking and entering and lying on the show.
   I don't have much else to say on this other than to say that this show continues to suck me in more! :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SkyWarp

Updated the encyclopedia with the people, places, and things from episode 4. 

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Lots of breaking and entering along with lying on this ep. What else is new...?