The Hardy Boys - S1E3 - Of Freedom and Pleasure

Started by SkyWarp, December 04, 2020, 11:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

Another good episode.

This episode does delve into "magic", "luck", and Tarot carding readings at a local carnival.   But not much different than some of the actual books did (at least by the end of this episode, we shall wait and see how the things play out).

If you put the previous items in with running away from a scary old guy in carnival fun/ghost houses, you may want to be sensitive to younger children for this episode. 

We do get more background information for Callie and Chet.  Chet lives on a farm which has a silo.  Interestingly enough, Chet is scare of heights. 

Meanwhile, Callie's mom left when she was a little girl.  We don't know why as of this point. 

I haven't really mentioned the "hardy home" yet, but we have gotten some glimpses of the outside.  It is blue and from the outside, it looks like it fits the part pretty well.  The inside, maybe not so much how I would have imagined it, but it works well enough for me. 

In this episode, Joe and Frank's separate investigations finally come together just at the end to keep us wanting more.   

MacGyver

Thanks for the reviews of the episodes. Even though I'm not particularly happy with the departures from the books in terms of characterizations of characters and location, etc. I am extremely relieved to hear it is not rife with sexual innuendo, etc. and foul language. It sounds like it is in keeping with the morality traditionally seen in the books and I am glad for that. Despite the changes from the books, this sounds like it might actually be a good Hardy Boys show. Hopefully, it will get a DVD release and I can check it out at some point.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Oh, yeah- and I LOVE that the show seems to be set in the '80s! :-) (I love the '80s!) I like that The Hardy Boys don't have the benefit of the Internet and cell phones. It makes it more interesting as they have to go to the library and read books to do research. These kinds of skills are often lost for kids today and it's neat to see the show encouraging that. :)  8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

After watching the third episode, I don't have much to add except for a few things. I am generally leery of supernatural depictions in the media so I am curious to see how things go with the talisman and all. The scene with the Tarot cards reading added some intrigue to the episode. I couldn't help but think of the "Voodoo Doll" 2-parter episode of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries where Frank and Joe have a Tarot card reading as well and draw the Death card. Come to think of it, that episode seemed to indicate the reality of the supernatural as well. Frank and Joe are generally shown to be skeptical of such things as luck, fortune telling, etc. It's interesting to have something challenge their beliefs.
    I do have a grievance here as I was disappointed to hear Callie use God's name in vain. It was at least upon arrival at a shocking scene, so I'll choose to believe she was saying a brief prayer.
   I hope there are no other language concerns on the show. It's been fun to watch so far; I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

SkyWarp

I've added the characters and places for the third episode.   I was confused by who "Billy (Hit w/Soda)" was according to the credits.  But after watching the intro on the fourth episode, they use the name billy in the closed captioning for the Stage Performer at the Carnival.  Not sure what the "Hit with Soda" part has anything to do with the this episode.   

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Okay, why do we have to to have Supernatural elements in this show? This isn't Nancy Drew!

MacGyver

This show doesn't go nearly as strong on the supernatural as Nancy Drew does.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on October 16, 2021, 12:01:39 AM
This show doesn't go nearly as strong on the supernatural as Nancy Drew does.

Yeah, noticing that as well.