Hulu Developing Hardy Boys series

Started by Bigfootman, September 26, 2019, 09:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

It will be on YTV here in Canada.  YTV aired the 1995 series back in the summer of 2006 as a promotion for the DVD's and as a summer replacement series.  And YTV and Nelvana are both owned by Corus Entertainment, both now and in 2006.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SkyWarp

Quote from: Raven on November 07, 2019, 06:28:00 PM
At least it's not on CW.  8)

Well, I don't have "hulu".   So the question now arises, do I get the packaged deal with Disney+ to get Hulu? 

Hardy Boys UB Fan

SkyWarp

So I see there are some cast lists showing up on imdb for the first 13 episodes.  And it starts to make one think that the typical "chums" are not going to be so typical (assuming IMDB is accurate).

Episode 1:
Rohan Campbell...   Frank Hardy
Sean Patrick Dolan...   Ern Cullmore
Ric Garcia...   Stefan
Stephen R. Hart...   Tall Man
Jennifer Hsiung...   Jesse Hooper
Jordan Kronis...   Cory
Keana Lyn...   Callie Shaw
Tyler Murree...   Aucoin
Cristian Perri...   Phil Cohen
Janet Porter...   Laura Hardy
Bea Santos...   Trudy Hardy
Adam Swain...   Chet Morton
Linda Thorson...   Gloria Esterbrook

So it looks like we get a female Asian Jesse Hooper.  Is this a relative of Biff or a replacement for Biff?
And Chet looks to be black and skinny. 

Odd that no Joe is on the list.  So with any IMDB listings, maybe take these with a grain of salt.

MacGyver

It's possible Joe hasn't been cast yet but it seems like surely that would be one of the first roles secured.
Also, I notice that Aunt Gertrude is referred to as Trudy Hardy. I suppose this means this series is possibly drawing on the Undercover Brothers series for inspiration? (Does Aunt Gertrude also appear as Aunt Trudy in the Adventures books?)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Aunt Gertrude is called Trudy in the Adventures.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Raven

No Fenton Hardy? I thought his character's already been assigned.

MacGyver

Has there been confirmation that Fenton Hardy is indeed in this series? (I would hope so but you never know.)

SkyWarp

Quote from: MacGyver on February 12, 2020, 08:27:12 AM
Has there been confirmation that Fenton Hardy is indeed in this series? (I would hope so but you never know.)

From the original announcement, I can't imagine how they can get away without having Fenton at least a little bit in the story, but I guess they can just explain it away as already having happened.

QuoteAfter the tragic death of their mother, Frank Hardy, 16, and his brother Joe, 12, are moved from the big city to their mother's hometown of Bridgeport for the summer. Their father, Fenton, is convinced his wife Laura's death was no accident and leaves the boys with their aunt as he chases down a lead. Frank and Joe set out to solve the mystery themselves only to find the secret runs deeper than they could have ever imagined. The task of fitting into their new environment is made even harder when the boys begin to believe their mother's killer is in Bridgeport and suddenly everyone in town is a suspect!

tomswift2002

In the 95 series the boys were 22 & 20, so Fenton didn't need to be in it.

MacGyver

Yeah- even though he did finally show up toward the end of the series. I think this show will likely have Fenton on there but maybe it will just be a recurring role, which could be why he's not listed as part of the cast.

tomswift2002

Yeah, with the boys bring 16 & 12 in this series, and Aunt Trudy apparently taking care of them, it sounds like Fenton won't be a regular. 

SkyWarp

The actor that is playing Fenton Hardy in the upcoming Hulu tv series gives an interview for his various work, including the upcoming Hardy Boys show.  The Hardy Boys part starts at the 17:45 mark
https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1249230617

A few highlights:

The brothers will be separated by age.
It will be 13 episodes, but one mystery.
Hulu wanted a show in a Riverdale or Stranger Things style.
Chet is in the show.
Fenton might get kidnapped.
Maybe released this summer (but this was recorded before Covid)

MacGyver

Interesting. Thanks for the update. Hopefully it will be good. (And I would vote for more like Stranger Things and less like Riverdale.)