What's the last book or item you added to your Hardy Boys collection?

Started by MacGyver, March 20, 2013, 08:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on July 01, 2022, 12:03:07 AMIt seems like the 55 is still on the spine though, at least in the picture on the site. It seems like it would have been easier for Collins to just leave the front cover of this book alone.

Well the other G&D printed Collins Hardy's didn't have numbers on the front covers, so the editors might've been thinking that it would make the book look odd, also the first 48 Collins hardcovers didn't have numbers on the front either.

But G&D did change the numbers on the spine for the other Hardy's, and the back list. 

But with no text changes, I've got wonder what UK and Australian fans in 1980 were thinking when they read that the Hardy's first case was The Tower Treasure and their most recent was The Mysterious Caravan and the next was The Jungle Pyramid, as those were #'s 31, 41 & 47 in the Collins series, while Collins #1 was The Mystery of the Aztec Warrior.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on July 01, 2022, 08:21:43 AMWell the other G&D printed Collins Hardy's didn't have numbers on the front covers, so the editors might've been thinking that it would make the book look odd, also the first 48 Collins hardcovers didn't have numbers on the front either.

But G&D did change the numbers on the spine for the other Hardy's, and the back list. 

But with no text changes, I've got wonder what UK and Australian fans in 1980 were thinking when they read that the Hardy's first case was The Tower Treasure and their most recent was The Mysterious Caravan and the next was The Jungle Pyramid, as those were #'s 31, 41 & 47 in the Collins series, while Collins #1 was The Mystery of the Aztec Warrior.

As a Hardy Boys fan who grew up with the Collins/Armada order, I can tell you it was weird to later find out that the USA books had a totally different order.
    At the start of The Mystery of the Aztec Warrior, Frank even has a line that makes it sound like it could be their first case, saying that he and Joe are ready to tackle a mystery.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I got this in the mail recently.
http://andeverythingelsetoo.blogspot.com/2018/03/nancy-drew-hardy-boys-supermag-77.html?m=1

SuperMag is a neat little collectible magazine but I didn't realize quite how small it is until I got the issue. I will probably wind up reselling this as I am not that worried about keeping it. (If anyone on here would like it, send me a PM and I'll get it to you for a super cheap price of free. :-))
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I also recently snagged a great find at an antique mall- The Hardy Boys Adventure Pictures to Color #2 by Tony Tallarico!
These books are way cool because they depict scenes straight from the books! They are also really hard to find for a good price so I'm glad for the good deal I got on this. :)  8)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WHMAAOSwmE5iNPmD/s-l400.jpg

Pookells

I stopped reading the Hardy Boys after #84 Revenge of the Desert Phantom back in the 80's.

However, my wife and I became empty nesters last year, and we decided to collect Hardy Boys books as a new hobby. I've had the original 58 books and the digests up to #84 for several years now.

I've been collecting the remaining digests from eBay and Amazon. I'm getting #121 today and am currently reading #91 Shield of Fear.

MacGyver

Cool! Glad you can enjoy reading the rest of The Hardy Boys books as a fun hobby now.  :)  8)

Pookells

Quote from: MacGyver on August 15, 2022, 01:54:45 PMCool! Glad you can enjoy reading the rest of The Hardy Boys books as a fun hobby now.  :)  8)

Thanks! We're really enjoying reading these. And I've also written 3 of my own Hardy Boys books, as well as currently writing a fourth one.

MacGyver

Quote from: Pookells on August 15, 2022, 02:24:08 PMThanks! We're really enjoying reading these. And I've also written 3 of my own Hardy Boys books, as well as currently writing a fourth one.
Wow! Cool! Have you put any of these online for others to read? Fanfiction.net is a great place for that. The Hardy Boys Detective Agency forum also does a ton on fanfiction as well.

Pookells

Quote from: MacGyver on August 16, 2022, 11:43:19 AMWow! Cool! Have you put any of these online for others to read? Fanfiction.net is a great place for that. The Hardy Boys Detective Agency forum also does a ton on fanfiction as well.

No, but I was considering fan fiction.net. I wrote them using Microsoft word.  Is word an acceptable means to upload there or so they require another method like Google docs?

MacGyver

Quote from: Pookells on August 16, 2022, 12:37:33 PMNo, but I was considering fan fiction.net. I wrote them using Microsoft word.  Is word an acceptable means to upload there or so they require another method like Google docs?
As far as I recall, you just copy and paste into their form on their Web site.

Pookells

Quote from: MacGyver on August 16, 2022, 03:57:18 PMAs far as I recall, you just copy and paste into their form on their Web site.

Wow! Even simpler than I thought! Thank you for that information. I'll review my books - I do have some small plot errors I need to fix, but I'll try to get those uploaded sometime soon.

They're a hybrid of the digests and the casefiles and take place in the 1980s. A bit more violent than the digests but less violent than the digests.

MacGyver

Pookells

Quote from: Pookells on August 16, 2022, 05:32:57 PMWow! Even simpler than I thought! Thank you for that information. I'll review my books - I do have some small plot errors I need to fix, but I'll try to get those uploaded sometime soon.

They're a hybrid of the digests and the casefiles and take place in the 1980s. A bit more violent than the digests but less violent than the digests.

"Less violent than the casefiles" is how it should have read...🤦�♂️

tomswift2002

Quote from: Pookells on August 16, 2022, 05:32:57 PMThey're a hybrid of the digests and the casefiles and take place in the 1980s. A bit more violent than the digests but less violent than the digests.

The Mystery Stories had a run of those type of stories between #84 and #105.  It seems from 1987-1990 Mega-Books had more Casefiles-type stories commissioned, so they turned some, like Breakdown In Axeblade &Shield of Fear into Mystery Stories

Also in the early 80's you can see the Stratemeyer Syndicate experimenting with what would be Hardy Boys Casefiles elements.  If you think Dead On Target was the only time the Hardy's yellow convertible was blown up think again!  Their yellow convertible was blown up in #74 Tic-Tac-Terror in 1982 and then replaced with a newer yellow convertible, which was the convertible blown up in Dead On Target.

https://www.hardyboyscasefiles.com/forums/index.php?topic=3002.0
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 17, 2022, 04:12:17 AMThe Mystery Stories had a run of those type of stories between #84 and #105.  It seems from 1987-1990 Mega-Books had more Casefiles-type stories commissioned, so they turned some, like Breakdown In Axeblade &Shield of Fear into Mystery Stories

Also in the early 80's you can see the Stratemeyer Syndicate experimenting with what would be Hardy Boys Casefiles elements.  If you think Dead On Target was the only time the Hardy's yellow convertible was blown up think again!  Their yellow convertible was blown up in #74 Tic-Tac-Terror in 1982 and then replaced with a newer yellow convertible, which was the convertible blown up in Dead On Target.

https://www.hardyboyscasefiles.com/forums/index.php?topic=3002.0

Good point! I remember that in both books because in the Armada paperback version of Tic-Tac-Terror, the cover artwork depicts the explosion, like Dead On Target depicts that other explosion.