Author Topic: Anyone read the old Tom Swifts?  (Read 2548 times)

Offline P. Walker

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • I'm a Hardy Fan!
Anyone read the old Tom Swifts?
« on: April 08, 2012, 03:21:29 AM »
They're in the public domain. I've downloaded them to my Nook through Project Gutenburg but have yet to read them yet.

Offline MacGyver

• Troubleshooter
  • Secretary of Defense
  • The Hardy Boys catch the Gremlin of The Bangles...
Re: Anyone read the old Tom Swifts?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
It makes sense that they would be in the public domain by now- it's been over 100 years since they were first introduced... The Tom Swift, Sr. series is classic. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Offline tomswift2002

• Secretary of Defense
    • Trevor Thurlow Productions - Video Production and Transfers
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »
With the Tom Swift Sr series only volumes 1 to 25 have fallen into the public domain due to heir age.  #39 (one of the Better Little Books by Whitman) has fallen into he public domain due to a failure to renew; the same goes for Tom Swift Jr. series #17 and 18.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Offline Lungbarrow

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »
I got a Kobo eReader for my birthday and downloaded all of the public domain Tom Swift ones from the original run. I've read the first three books - Motor Bike, Motor Boat and Air Ship. The first one was pretty enjoyable and very like an old Hardy Boys story in tone and style. Motor Boat took a bit longer (most of the book!) to get going and was quite frustrating plot-wise in parts but still an enjoyable read for the most part. The third was more enjoyable and a straightforward rip-roaring adventure as Tom and his companions set off into the skies in the air ship that they built. What I was pleasantly surprised by was that the books all flowed into one another - a 'continuity' as people call it here now. Characters meet for the first time and have genuine relationships which change realistically from book to book - actual character development - wow! Plot elements from earlier books carry forward and change in importance as the series moves on.
I'd say these books are definitely worth a read for Hardy Boys fans - especially if you're strapped for cash and want something to distract yourself from picking up old Casefiles on eBay! It was reading these that reminded me to pick up the Hardy Boys books and start reading them again.
--
-PjH.
--

Offline MacGyver

• Troubleshooter
  • Secretary of Defense
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 09:19:32 PM »
Cool- I recently completed my first Tom Swift book- though it's one of the Tom Swift, Jr. books- Tom Swift and his Jetmarine- it was pretty good, though it took me a while to finish it. I like the Tom Swift books well enough, but it's definitely not the same as The Hardy Boys- though there are some similarities and Tom Swift books are enjoyable in their own rights.
     Reading that book inspired me to finally get around to reading the Hardy Boys and Tom Swift Ultra Thriller books- I'm finally reading Time Bomb right now and really enjoying that. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Offline Katie

• Lieutenant General
    • AO3
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 08:58:45 AM »
I read that book. It was confusing...was that the whole point of it? Then again, I don't know much about Tom Swift.
“If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ”
― Mary Engelbreit

Offline MacGyver

• Troubleshooter
  • Secretary of Defense
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 12:42:42 AM »
Which book? I assume you're referring to Time Bomb. As tomswift2002 has pointed out before, it serves as sort of an epilogue to the Operation: Phoenix trilogy, so it may be worth reading those books alongside with it. I've finally read both Time Bomb and The Alien Factor now- both great books! It's a shame the series didn't run any longer. But I'm glad that we at least have two official team-ups with Tom Swift and The Hardy Boys! :) 8)

Offline tomswift2002

• Secretary of Defense
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 03:36:17 PM »
Boy, since this thread was last posted in a few things in regard to Tom Swift have changed in regards to the copyright status of the TSSR series. 

In the US the first 25 books, plus #39 are in the public domain, with the rest still being under copyright.
In Canada, as of January 1, 2013 all the Tom Swift Sr. books, except #'s 36, 37 and 38 are now in the Public Domain.  This would also apply to other countries where the copyright law is Life, with 50 years after the death of the author.  In Canada we don't have a concept of "Work For Hire" like in the US.  So when you are looking at a book's copyright in Canada that was written under employment, if the author is a ghostwriter and, aside from the ghost name, the real author is unknown, then anonymous works are only copyrightable for 50 years from publicaton, while if the author is known, then it is life of the author plus 50 years after death.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Offline MacGyver

• Troubleshooter
  • Secretary of Defense
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »
Okay- that's interesting to hear about the different copyright laws between the USA and Canada. Thanks for the update about the status of the Tom Swift books.

Offline Katie

• Lieutenant General
    • AO3
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 04:52:15 PM »
Can you find them on Amazon as Kindle editions?  I just got my hands on Time Bomb, and I like it, but the book is about falling apart... :-\
“If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ”
― Mary Engelbreit

Offline tomswift2002

• Secretary of Defense
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 08:12:15 AM »
Unfortunately with the 1980's to early-2000's books S&S has been slow to reissue the books in digital.  So right now the Ultra Thrillers are still in paper.

And as for the older Tom Swifts from the SR. series, one problem with digital downloads is that, unless the digital publisher actually encodes the file with a location security feature, places like Project Gutenberg will not post them free due to needing to control where the books are "sold".  While the first 25  & #39 TSSR books are in the public domain all around the world, the other books are still under copyright to Simon & Schuster in the US (and 36, 37, 38 are still under copyright to them here in Canada till December 31, 2032, due to that being the fiftieth year after Harriet Stratemeyer Adams , who has been identified as the author of those three books,passed away in 1982), so publishers are not able to distribute the books in anyway inside the U.S. and any country where the copyright is still in effect.