The boys in pop culture

Started by SDLagent, December 07, 2009, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: MacGyver on January 19, 2012, 06:42:03 PM
Nancy Drew vs. The Hardy Boys - while I could point out factors easily giving The Hardy Boys an edge in popularity, etc.- I actually like both The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew just fine. (Though being a male, I do read The Hardy Boys more so than Nancy Drew- but yeah, I've read some Nancy Drew too and I like those as well.)
I'm mainly just glad to see that both The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books still have popularity with kids today.

I disagree- I like them both the same! (Okay, maybe I like the Hardy Boys a little bit better) And I posted a poll on Facebook that said "Do you know who Nancy Drew is?" And only like 2 people said yes, another 100 said no! :o Lol I got branded as a nerd for a minute there... My best friend knows who Nancy Drew is through the games, but she knows the Hardy Boys through the books. :)
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Okay, now that saddens me that so many people don't know who Nancy Drew is- and if they do, it's only because of the video games and not the book series that inspired them. Good to see someone knows The Hardy Boys through the actual books though.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

JoeHardyRocks

Ooh, so last night I was watching Alcatraz and two people were talking about needing a new partner, and the conversation went something like this:

Person 1: "How about Smith?"
Person 2: "Ew, to slow."
Person 1: "Davis?"
Person 2: "Too fast."
Person 1: "What about Johnson?"
Person 2: "No way, too blonde. We'd look like the Hardy Boys."

;D
"Thank you, Joe."

MacGyver

Now the only question is whether they meant Frank and Joe or Matt and Jeff. ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

It seems the October 2011 issue of Country Living featured an article on collecting Nancy Drew books and determining their value. I don't know if it mentioned The Hardy Boys or not, but someone might be interested in it.

MacGyver

Hollowed out Hardy Boys book safes (Cool, but I don't know if I could bring myself to sacrifice one of The Hardy Boys books for such art. ;) :) 8))

JoeHardyRocks

I made one of those for my friend as a going away present. :D It was so hard!
"Thank you, Joe."

MacGyver

That's cool- I think for a more macabre version, a hollowed out shrunken head or skull would work well- I can picture The Addams Family or The Munsters using one. (sorry- really have no idea where that came from- just being random.) ;D

Bigfootman

The Stickin' Around episode "Dill, Man of Letters" has a long parody of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew in it (It does contain some gross humour)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSAPda7p0o (Parody starts at 4:50)

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on January 29, 2012, 12:54:56 PM
The Stickin' Around episode "Dill, Man of Letters" has a long parody of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew in it (It does contain some gross humour)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSAPda7p0o (Parody starts at 4:50)

That was different. ::)

MacGyver

Haha- wow. I'm surprised at the kind of humor they got away with in this show- it seems like something that would probably run on Nickelodeon- in fact, kinda reminded me some of Rugrats-type humor, though probably a bit more mature than stuff they did on that show (not that I've ever seen much of it beyond some clips here and there though.)

MacGyver

I may have posted this before, but apparently The Hardy Boys action figures (i.e. dolls- lol) from the 1970s The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries may well have been inspiration for the 1980s dolls based on the classic '80s cartoon Jem And The Holograms :) 8)
(Check the link for some cool image scans of Toy Fair's catalogue with The Hardy Boys action figures- which, by the way, the official product description does describe them as such.)

MacGyver

A segment from a Recess episode- "The Barnaby Boys" - while it could be referencing Buddy Ebsen's famous milk-drinking private investigator Barnaby Jones- I feel fairly certain the detective book series T.J. and Vince are so fond of reading is an homage to/parody of The Hardy Boys. :) ;D 8)

MacGyver

I've posted some pictures here before that I've found on Flickr- and I've recently been playing around with a similar site- Pinterest. I'll suffice it to say that I found numerous interesting items doing a search for both Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys on there. I've found that there are way more results for Nancy Drew than The Hardy Boys though- and since the site seems to be largely of interest to women more so than men (this is just the impression I get- I have seen some men posting on there too though)- I'm not too surprised.
Anyway- thought you all might like to give it a looksee sometime.

Bigfootman

The first episode of Being Ian, " The Kelley Boys and the Mysterious Lighthouse Mystery" was a Hardy Boys parody. There was also an Arthur episode that mentioned the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, I think the episode was called "Binky Rules".

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?