Be a Detective Series

Started by Hardy Sleuth, April 03, 2012, 12:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I've been reading the fourth book in the Be-A-Detective series (Secret Cargo) and so far Frank and Joe have come to River Heights to stay with Nancy and her family and Nancy Drew has gone with The Hardy Boys to Bayport to stay with them. Also, Hannah Gruen, Bess Marvin, George Fayne and Carson Drew all make appearances in this one.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I finished this book and I have a few other quick notes. Chief Collig is mentioned in the book (Joe calls him in one of the scenarios), but it's also a very brief mention. Also, Frank is seen defusing a bomb in one of the scenarios- something he is seen doing a number of times in the Casefiles. Interesting.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I'm now reading #5 in the series- The Alaskan Mystery. This one pretty much entirely takes place in Alaska with only Frank, Joe and Nancy there. (i.e. No appearances of supporting characters- at least thus far.) It is nice to see Frank make mention of a Bayport landmark- Barmet Bay! (Though the book has a typo and actually says, "Barnet Bay"- but I'm pretty sure they meant Barmet Bay.) And I also keep noticing a number of interactions between Frank and Nancy that add to the whole Frank and Nancy romance that some of the fans seem to like so much. :D
One other neat observation- there is a scene of dialogue where Frank and Joe have an exchange that's almost verbatim from an episode of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries! :) 8) I doubt it's really intentional, but it is neat to notice. In the scene, Joe wants to do something dangerous in order to continue their investigation (climb the outside of a lighthouse tower to a window in order to get past a locked door) and Frank, although reluctant, finally gives in, when Nancy sides with Joe on the plan. Frank warns Joe to be careful, who replies, "When have I ever not been careful?" Frank answers, "Lots of times."
      It helps that I've been watching the '70s TV show lately, so some scenes are very fresh on my mind, but in "The Mystery of the Silent Scream" episode, I noticed that Frank and Joe have a similar scene where Frank warns Joe to be careful and Joe has about the same reply- "Have I ever not been careful?" And Frank answers, "Yes!"
Most likely it's just a coincidence, but it's still nice to see consistency with the books and the TV show on accurate portrayals for Frank and Joe in regards to their character and personality. :) 8)

tomswift2002

You have to remember that the Be-A-Detective books were released at a time when the 70's series would've still been on in repeats, and some parts of the world (like Australia and New Zealand) were just getting the show (or in Australia/New Zealand, just Season 1 & 2, with Season 3 apparently not airing there till 2001), and when you think of the series, the strong episodes were the crossover episodes, and the early 1980's crossover books really seem to have been made based on the popularity of the show, and how well received the crossover episodes had been received.  And with the BAD books, as well as the Campfire book and the Super Sleuths! books, the ideas for those books were probably started around 78-79, right around the time the novelizations of the Dracula and other episodes were coming out.   
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Yeah, it makes sense that the '70s TV show would still have its share of influence on the books. Interesting to see how things come full circle- with watching the books form the basis for a TV show- and watch the TV show add its own mix of ideas- and then watch the TV show shape some of the books in some ways.

tomswift2002

Even in the Casefiles you can see that the show had some effect, as both series have Joe's girlfriend getting killed.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Yep- after watching Season 3, I could see a lot of influence on the Casefiles. Even the opening theme song that features as the title screen a Hardy Boys book cover reminds me of the design of the Casefiles books. And certainly the whole thing of working for the Justice Department felt a lot like the Network and the Gray Man and all.

MacGyver

Just a quick update here- I've finished the 5th. book in the series and I'm on to the sixth one- The Missing Money Mystery. Fenton Hardy is both mentioned early in the book and makes an appearance as well. It's interesting that Frank and Joe are going to Santa Clara to help their father with a case regarding computer chips in the Silicon Valley area- and they wind up stopping off in Los Angeles on the way. Nancy Drew is apparently accompanying them either just for the trip or to help with the case as well. This scenario also reminds me some of the '70s show, with the team-up the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew had in the Dracula case also being because Nancy had been recruited to help Fenton Hardy with a case.

MacGyver

I finished reading the 6th. and final book in the series. I don't have any major notes on this one beyond what I've already posted. Though I did notice that when Nancy is looking at a photo of a possible suspect (who works in the movie industry, as it turns out), Joe comes up behind her and comments that he looks like a rock star.  ;) Seems like Joe should know- or at least the guy who played him on TV in the '70s would know- nice possible slight Shaun Cassidy reference. :) 8)

MacGyver

I found an interesting video review of these books recently posted on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-dVwovdg8

All the books are displayed and while Books 1-5 are the American release, the 6th. book is actually the Armada release in the UK. :)

Bigfootman

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.com/2019/01/review-danger-on-ice-be-detective.html
You can see my review of "Danger on Ice" here, where I gave it a 5 out of 10. (an average score, not a bad one) I will be reviewing two other books in the series at some point.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

Cool! Nice review. I did particularly like the particularly dark scenario in the book- pretty daring.

MacGyver

I found a listing online from Follett Books publishing for the planned 8th. title in the series, Ticket to Intrigue.
It lists Paul Frame as the illustrator with the price at $2.95
Here are the ISBN numbers:
0-671-55735-1 (ISBN-10)
978-0-671-55735-5 (ISBN-13)

It's listed as being published by Simon & Schuster Books For You with publishing date of September 1985.
And it is listed as number 8 in the Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys: Be A Detective Mystery Stories series.
Here's the description:
"A self-directing adventure in which Nancy Drew searches for a friend who vanished between China and Australia and the Hardy Boys are on the trail of stolen rock videos".