What's the last book or item you added to your Hardy Boys collection?

Started by MacGyver, March 20, 2013, 08:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfootman

Quote from: Judah-Ben-Hur on May 11, 2013, 03:46:46 PM
UB#4 (I don't know what I was thinking ,but at the register it was too late).
I've read UB #4 "Thrill Ride", and while it's not as bad as the book that comes after it ("Rocky Road"), it's still not very good. While there are one or two good cliffhangers, the plot was mediocre, and the villain was awful. White text contains spoilers: The bad guy was a 12 year old, and Frank and Joe needed a gadget to defeat him. Why did the UBs have such lame villains?

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Judah-Ben-Hur

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.~ Joshua 1:9

MacGyver

Yeah- it's reviews like this that keep me from reading the Undercover Brothers series......So far, I have only read the first one in the series- and even that was just like last year when the series was pretty much dead- even though I'd been buying the whole series as it was first released- and I posted my review of Extreme Danger elsewhere on these forums- overall it wasn't so bad as a whole- but there were things I didn't like about it from the very first page of the book! One of these days I might get around to reading the rest out of completion's sake.....but so far I've been working on finishing reading the Supermysteries series first (the '88 one, that is.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I just got The Hardy Boys Handbook: Seven Stories of Survival in the mail. I've had the British printing for years; now, I finally have the American printing as well.  :) 8)(This is the paperback version though- the hardcover one is out there from what I understand, but it's pretty scarce to come by it.) The American printing doesn't seem to be really different from the British one though, apart from any Anglizications in the British book and different covers of course.
I did notice the size of the American version book is quite bigger than the Digests though- it's more like the size of the two books that were released based on The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries. (The Haunted House/Flight to Nowhere and The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

VLoneWolf

tomswift2002

Quote from: VLoneWolf on June 23, 2013, 01:17:24 PM
I got the Hardy Boys The Sting of The Scorpion.

Which edition?  The first four printings all contained a plug for "Night Of The Werewolf", along with the first printing mis-titling the Detective Handbook as the Detective Magazine.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

QuoteWhich edition?  The first four printings all contained a plug for "Night Of The Werewolf", along with the first printing mis-titling the Detective Handbook as the Detective Magazine.
Interesting- I hadn't noticed that part about the mistaken title used for The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook- I'll have to check my copy for that. Thankfully, I was able to get an early printing of The Sting of the Scorpion some years ago and it does indeed have Night of the Werewolf mentioned as the next case. :)

VLoneWolf

It has a flash light cover on it and it does say anything in the last chapter about Night of The Werewolf.  but it is listed in the book list of the Hardy Boys books

MacGyver

Hmm- okay. If it's one of the flashlight cover printings, it's a newer printing of the book- I believe that run of printings began somewhere in the late '80s. (I want to say 1987 for some reason, but I'm not sure on that.)

tomswift2002

Quote from: VLoneWolf on June 24, 2013, 05:19:07 PM
It has a flash light cover on it and it does say anything in the last chapter about Night of The Werewolf.  but it is listed in the book list of the Hardy Boys books

Sounds like you've got a post-2005 printing, since 2005 was when G&D released "Night Of The Werewolf", but they didn't re-insert the plug. (In the Flaslight editions the year of printing is listed on the copyright page.). But the Flashlight editions were first released in 1987.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

QuoteBut the Flashlight editions were first released in 1987.
Aha! I thought that was right. :) 8)

VLoneWolf

Hardy Sleuth

Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

tomswift2002

Quote from: VLoneWolf on June 25, 2013, 01:42:02 PM
I found it on Wal-Mart's website so it can't be to old.

Then it was probably printed within the last six to twenty-four months.

VLoneWolf