QUOTES

Started by Kerin, July 05, 2007, 10:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

From 1927 to 1983, the Hardy Boys books were written by ghost writers for a book packager called "The Stratemeyer Syndicate".  Even though the copyright pages for the books printed by Grosset & Dunlap, prior to 1979, bear the wording "Copyright 19## by Grosset & Dunlap", the copyrights were actually held by the Stratemeyer Syndicate, and the books were updated by them as well.  Copies of the stories that were printed by Grosset & Dunlap after 1980 in the blue spine with the boys portrait on the side would have the previous copyright info, but they would then add "Copyright assigned to the Stratemeyer Syndicate in 1980", and then in 1987, with the few books that were printed using the old format Grosset & Dunlap started to add "1987 Printing".
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

devoika86

the hardy Boys #3  pg.163:

"'A good question' Markel snapped at his accomplice. 'You told us on the two-way radio you'd locked 'em up with the truck!'
Peters whined. 'I did They must have broken out'
'Obviously.' Docker gave him a withering look."

the old books dont usually have many funny quotes but sometimes like this one they do :)

Olivia

Quote from: devoika86 on March 25, 2008, 05:25:10 PM
damn it, thats the copy i have! the mask and jo holding the coins! oh well ::) are Grosset & Dunlap the company that revised the book? i have another quote, to get us back on topic:

Hardy Boys # 167 TroubleTimes Two

pg. 58: "'What if he had a family connection?' Frank argued. Joe grinned 'Or maybe the gang is an equal opportunity employer'"

pg. 49: after Jo follows Mr. Gilliam around in the van full of his friends to put off seeing the romance flick that Callie wanted to see: "'Well I guess that's all settled.' Then he turned to Frank. 'So how are we doing on time? Can we still make that heart-flopper romance Callie wants to see?' Frank checked his watch. 'It started 5 minutes ago' he announced. A broad smile crept onto Joe's lips. 'So I guess we'll just have to see the boom-boom flick I suggested.' he said smugly. Frank shook his head. 'Actually, that started half an hour ago.' He grinned. 'But we could still make that foreign film Phil was talking about.' ....The rest of the kids exchanged amused glances over the way Jo's clever plan had blown up in his face."

pg. 56 "When Frank went down to breakfast the next morning, Jo was already there. 'Some brother you are,' he accused. 'First you side with Callie instead of me on the film question. Then you go along with Phil and make me look like an idiot.' 'That didn't take much work' Frank replied.

ppl, when u guys say the name of the HB books, can you also say the number and what series its from? makes it easier to keep track of where exactly its coming from.

Haha, I like those :D

devoika86

thanks ;D they are pretty nifty. ohh brother ive been reading to many of the old ones. now im using terminology outa the 1920s ::) :P

tomswift2002

Here's one from the original Melted Coins (pg. 43):

(Fenton) '"Maybe you can land some counterfeiters!"

"You bet we will," said Frank, and Joe nodded.  "nothing would suit us better."
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

NZone

Endangered Species- Jellicoe, "They're making agents younger all the time." Joe, "Actually, we gave up our paper routes for this"
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

FrankJoeATAC

"So I was following Tino Balducci, and when I tried to ask him some questions he said something snotty like, " Go back to the playground, Junior. I'm the detective around here".
"If you two haven't noticed, we haven't been getting alot of respect around here."

Joe to Frank and Nancy in Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon

FrankJoeATAC

The Bad Guy started walking toward us. I had to move fast.
Reaching up, I grabbed a silver tea tray off the shelf  and held it with both hands.

It's Teatime.

I swung the tray through the air as hard as I could- and slammed him in the side of the head. He went down like a ton of bricks.
You've been served.
-Frank in #11 Hurricane Joe

devoika86

haha those are great. i found a bunch i liked in "the clue in the broken blade". i'll have to sort them out and post them here

Kerin

These are all from casefile 34 'the final cut.'

(Listening to a speech)
"Sorry, Aunt Gertrude," said Frank, raking back his straight brown hair. "But Mr. Gilchrist does have a way of going on --"
"And on and on," added Joe. "What's more, there's a whole platoon up there ready to take his place.That guy Graham looks like he's got a nice, long, dull seech to lay on us." - pg 2-3

( about getting shot at)
"Looks like he is crazy after all." said Joe. "How do we handle this?"
"How about one of us distracts him while the other one jumps him?" suggested Frank.
"Great idea!" Joe snapped. "Let's see he's got an Uzi or something and we have zip.How do we distract him, with funny storues?"
"The building alongside this one is a story higer," Frank said. "You stay here.Give me exactly one minute and then slam that door open with alot of noise.I'll come at him from behind, off that taller roof."
Joe replied, "You have to run  down four  flights of steps  here, and then up five flights next door.Let's make it ninety seconds.You're not as young as you used to be."
"And you're not as funny as you think you are," responded Frank. --pg 99
If Christ had been a philosopher, they could have debated Him.Had He been a religionist, they could have ignored Him.But Christ was love.What do you do with that?

tomswift2002

Here's one from The Hardy Boys Handbook from the story Desperation In The Desert, so its a "rare" quote:

(pg. 78 Wanderer Edition)

'Joe sucked the distilled water through his taut, hurting lips and into his parched throat.

"How does it taste?" Frank asked.

"Wonderful!" Joe sighed.  "No---terrible, but wonderful, too."  He took another sip, then handed the hubcap to Frank, who was laughing.

"That's a great description!" he said as he bent to take a drink.  He held the water in his mouth a moment to taste it thoroughly.  "My apologies, Joe," he amended, "your description was perfect.  It's wet, and that's wonderful, but it'll never replace a cold mountain spring!"'

Just reading that passage I think the author was being influenced in how Frank and Joe banter by the way the Hardy's bantered in the 1977 TV series with Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy.

Olivia

Chief Collig speaking with witnesses to a crime:

?He had short, dark hair!? said Harrity doggedly.
?And I'm sure he had long red hair!" shouted Henry J. Brown, very indignantly.    
?Do you think I'm blind? Do you think I'd tell a lie about it??
?He had dark hair.?
?It was red.?
?It was dark.?
?It wasn't.?
?It was!?
?Stop it!? commanded Chief Collig. ?I don't think either of you know what kind of hair he had. Probably he was bald-headed.?

-Original #1, The Tower Treasure (p.55)

devoika86

i remember that scene in tower treasure! it was an awesome scene ;D

NZone

Hurd Applegate - "The thousand-dollar reward goes to Frank and Joe Hardy who solved the mystery of the Tower treasure.

"A thousand bucks!" exclaimed Detective Smuff.

"Dollars, Mr Smuff -- dollars!" Adelia Applegate corrected him, "No slang in Tower mansion."

"One thousand iron men," Smuff continued, "One thousand round, fat, juicy smackers. For two high school boys! And a real detective like me--"

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

JoeHardyRocks

Does anyone have any good ones from UB books? 'Cause I don't recognise any of those.  ???
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."