Graphic Novels in General

Started by The#1Hardy-BoysFan, August 11, 2007, 01:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

In some ways I like the Graphic Novels more than the regular UB novels, #1 the boys get along better in the Graphic Novels then they do in the regular UBs and #2 There is more consistency in GNs then in the UBs.

The books I like:

#1 The Ocean of Osyria
The art wasn?t that good, but the story was.  But what I really liked about it was that Chet, Iola and Callie played big roles.  Another thing I liked about this book was that there was no ATAC, in fact this book was put out before UB #1 and is more like a Digest then a UB.  4 stars out of 5.

#5 Hyde & Shriek
It is cool that there is a real restaurant in this one, good story to. 3 and a half stars.

#7 The Opposite Numbers
This is my FAVORITE book so far, WARD the Noir sisters (they totally had me fooled by the way) it was great! ;D 5 stars.

Here are the bad books:

#4 Malled
No plot just a whole lot of running around. :-\  1 star at the most.

#5 Sea You, Sea Me
No plot again! 2 and a half stars.

What a want to see:

WARD and the Noirs in an other book.  I?d also like to see Vijay Patel introduced into this series and I?d like to see Fenton more of a character.  

My favorite art is Daniel Rendon?s, my second favorite is Paulo Henrique?s.

What do like and dislike about the series?  What are your favorite books?  What is your favorite art?    

Olivia

I've only read 3 or 4 at the moment.

#5 Hyde and Shriek surprised me because I didn't think I would like the plot, but it turned out to be a good, interesting story :)

#4 Malled I didn't like either... :-\

tomswift2002

I've read all the graphic novels.  I must say that Ocean of Osyria was nice in that it featured no ATAC, but the story felt to much like a rip off of Digest #84 Revenge of the Desert Phantom.  #1 Rating: B

#2 Identity Theft, one of my top favorite Graphics.  Nice story line, but the art was too close to Japanese Manga (On the back cover, you've got the one girl at the top, posing like Sailor Venus would pose in Sailor Moon, while the girl Joe's holding onto reminds me of Sailor Mercury in the way that she's drawn).  I mean, the Hardy's are suppose to be American, not Japanese, so why are the graphic novels being drawn in the manga style?  Rating: A

#3 Mad House I wasn't that crazy about because it dealt with a reality show.  But the story was better than the story in Bayport Buccanneers. Rating: C+

#4 Malled I don't remember much about, except that Collig looked to much like a state trooper than the chief of Bayport Police.  I always imagined Collig looking like the owner of the hound in Disney's The Fox and The Hound. Rating: D-

#5 Sea You Sea Me I found didn't really have anything to grab my attention.  Plus the back cover was less than inspiring.  I found the movie "A Perfect Storm" to have been lackluster when it came out back in 2000-2001.  Rating: D-

#6 Hyde & Shriek was better than #5, but still, ATAC is starting to get tiring at this point, with no break from the agency.  Rating: D+

#7 The Opposite Numbers, I pull this book out just as much as Identity Crisis to read.  I loved the introduction of WARD (who are conspiciously absent from the regular UB novels) and how they were set up to be the Hardy's enemies.  Also, finally a book without ATAC (sort of, since it was ATAC that sent them on the train). Rating: A

8. Board To Death, it was nice to see the end to the beginning of the case that the Hardy's started in #7, and then to have this case be the continuation of the story that started in The Opposite Numbers with the Hardy's riding the train across country to their new assignment, but other than that, the story I found was a repeat of the story from the Digests #113 Radical Moves, albeit moved from Bayport to the West Coast.  Rating: C+

#9 http://www.hardyboyscasefiles.com/forums/index.php?topic=367.0  Please see here for my review.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 12, 2007, 07:04:37 PM
#2 Identity Crisis, one of my top favorite Graphics.  Nice story
You mean Identity Theft?

Centrion

1. Ocean of Osyria- I like hoe they had friends in it and that it occured in Bayport and foreign places. A

2. Identity Theft- Okay, occured around Bayport, Aunt Gertrude got her nickname in this book. Pretty good plot. B

3. Mad House- Only read it once, and not well enough for a review.

4. Malled- not bad, plot was okay, but probabally one of my least liked. B-

5. Sea you, Sea me- Not bad, I like that we had a book on the sea for once. Pretty good, not my favorite. A-

6. Hyde and Shriek- I like the plot and the fact it occured in a real place, and the illusions were pretty cool. Good plot. Okay ending. A

7. The Opposite Numbers- One of my favorites, WARD was introed, giving ATAC a personal enemy, as well as giving Frank and Joe and enemy. A+

8. Board to Death- Introduced in Opposite numbers, about a Skateboard competition. It was pretty good, similar to the Digest Radical Moves. B

9. To Die or not to Die- Frank almost gets romantically involved with the girl in this book, and unfortunately there's no mention whatsoever of Callie. Okay, the plot was a bit thin. C+
Don't worry, I have a plan.
-Frank
Right. Every time you say that, I usually do something stupid, like jump in a septic tank.
-Joe

Olivia

It looks like The Opposite Numbers is most liked. I also put it up there as one of the better ones.

tomswift2002

#10 It was good.  ATAC was mentioned a little bit, but this time the Hardy's more or less stumbled upon the case because an ATAC founder had been told to kill the boys or his daughter would be killed.  It was really nice how Scott Lobdell brought WARD back and how we actually meet the father of the Noir sisters.  I also liked the father to father talk between Fenton Hardy and Poppa Noir.  It could've done with less complaining from Frank and Joe about not having any neat gadgets from ATAC.  I mean, come one, in the Originals/Digests and even the Casefiles, the Hardy's rarely handled a gun, let alone top secret weaponry.  Overall, a very good book.  Rating: A-
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Centrion

Wow, even though I already couldn't wait to read A Hardy's Day Night, I want to read it even more now.
Don't worry, I have a plan.
-Frank
Right. Every time you say that, I usually do something stupid, like jump in a septic tank.
-Joe

Q

So what are your favorite three HB graphic novels? (I'm pretty sure I know what they are but I'm asking anyway ;D ;D)

SDLagent

Here's how I rank the graphic novels, from one-13:

01 A Hardy Day's Night (#10)
02 The Opposite Numbers (#7)
03 The Ocean of Osyria (#1)
04 The Deadliest Stunt (#13)
05 To Die or Not to Die? (#9)
06 Identity Theft (#2)
07 Dude Ranch O' Death! (#12)
08 Abracadeath! (#11)
09 Board to Death (#8)
10 Mad House (#3)
11 Hyde & Shriek (#6)
12 Sea You, Sea Me (#5)
13 Malled (#4)

Bigfootman

Malled Sounds like "Murder At the Mall"

The Graphic Novels are better then the books for sure.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Olivia

Keep in mind I've only read about half of them so far. But here's my top three, in chronological order:

#07 Opposite Numbers
#10 A Hardy Day's Night
#12 Dude Ranch O'Death!

SDLagent

It seems every one like the Noir books (#7 and #10), hopefully #15 ''Live Free or Die Hardy'' will live up to those books, as the third Noir book! I'm really looking forward to it!

Quote from: Bigfootman on July 22, 2008, 06:58:51 PM
Malled Sounds like "Murder At the Mall"

The Graphic Novels are better then the books for sure.

Well, ''Malled'' is the worst in the series,  ''Murder at the Mall'' is better. I find that both #4 ''Malled'' and #5 ''Sea You, Sea Me'' are the poorest in the series, since they don't seem to have any plot - just one danger after another!

Q

I have read all of them except #9 and #13, and I agree with HBWiki's favorite GN list.

Olivia

Yeah, I think Malled was one of the first ones I read and I thought it was horrible!