The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers: #40

Started by MacGyver, July 27, 2011, 09:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

QuoteBut, in Canada you also have to remember that besides adding a "U" to some words, we also use the French spelling.  For example, in Ottawa, Scotiabank Place used to be called the Corel Centre, with the "e" and "r" in center reversed.
Huh- didn't realize that was a French thing. Seems I grew up using "centre" as the right spelling as well... but spectre and specter are two different words in American English at least...interesting
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 03, 2011, 08:40:19 PM
S&S really dropped the ball on Burned and did nothing to recover it.

I really don't think so. I loved that book! ;D 8)

MacGyver

Okay- two vastly different opinions on this book. Good to know there are some fans of The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers in general and that someone enjoys it- I'm sure it's not really ALL bad- but it obviously doesn't live up to every fan's expectations or likings. But somehow it keeps chugging along so I assume someone besides me is still buying them- lol. ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on August 04, 2011, 01:00:05 AM
Okay- two vastly different opinions on this book. Good to know there are some fans of The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers in general and that someone enjoys it- I'm sure it's not really ALL bad- but it obviously doesn't live up to every fan's expectations or likings. But somehow it keeps chugging along so I assume someone besides me is still buying them- lol. ;D

Nice to know I'm not alone, then. ;) 8)

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on August 04, 2011, 09:48:20 AM
Nice to know I'm not alone, then. ;) 8)

Not necessarily.  It could be that he just buys them to collect the books, not read them.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

QuoteNot necessarily.  It could be that he just buys them to collect the books, not read them.
Well, actually at this point- yeah, it's been more just buying the books to collect them rather than read them. lol- I've been meaning to read some of the UB series at some point and it keeps getting put off. Of course, I've been so put off to the series from what I've heard about it that I generally haven't wanted to read them either...Though I have all the books in the Supermystery '88 series, I have yet to finish reading all of them. I've kinda been wanting to finish reading all of those and the 2 Ultrathrillers books before I get around to the Undercover Brothers. Unfortunately, though I still love to read as much as I can, I've found that as one gets older it seems like there are more and more distractions and things in life that can keep you from reading and leisure time in general...
But one of these days I'm gonna make Extreme Danger the book of the month for our reading club and make myself read it. ;D

Olivia

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on July 31, 2011, 03:24:11 PM
The Nancy Drew GD cyberbullying one was good,

Definitely. I wasn't sure I'd be interested in the plot at first, but it was very well done.

SDLagent

Quote from: Katie on August 03, 2011, 10:56:49 AM
I started using British spellings when I started watching Doctor Who in 2005. I spelled favorite the British way and I got it wrong on my spelling test, can you believe that? My mom said that wasn't the right way to spell it. ::)

When my mum was in school she got the word "mum" wrong in a spelling test. Strangely, most Canadians call their mother "mum" but the Canadian spelling is actually "mom" like in the US.

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 03, 2011, 05:42:02 PM
I remember that when I was going to school here in Canada if you used American spellings on spelling tests, the teacher would still give you the mark, since you spelt the word correctly, since they realized that in Canada students would be reading a number of American books, so they would see the word (ie. color) in a book, but not see it spelt as colour.

Another bit of interesting trivia related to Canadian English is the fact that for years Canadian newspapers were written in American English. This saved a lot of time for newspaper editors using articles from American papers.

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 03, 2011, 05:42:02 PM
But, in Canada you also have to remember that besides adding a "U" to some words, we also use the French spelling.  For example, in Ottawa, Scotiabank Place used to be called the Corel Centre, with the "e" and "r" in center reversed.

Words ending in "re" aren't the only ones we barrow from French but, yeah, those are probably the most commonly used ones.

It's not a big deal but it still bugs me that most websites only have have the option of UK English and US English. Most websites have Canadian French but no Canadian English.

MacGyver

Words ending in "re" aren't the only ones we barrow from French but, yeah, those are probably the most commonly used ones.

It's not a big deal but it still bugs me that most websites only have have the option of UK English and US English. Most websites have Canadian French but no Canadian English.

Did you also borrow "barrow" from the French? ;D ;)

In regards to websites, I guess you'd have to specifically go to a .ca site for Canadian English...

QuoteAnother bit of interesting trivia related to Canadian English is the fact that for years Canadian newspapers were written in American English. This saved a lot of time for newspaper editors using articles from American papers
Oh wow- yeah, that would definitely be a pain to spotcheck each article for that... most newspapers pull stories from the Associated Press and they could be from correspondents all over the world- but they're generally marked as a story special to the paper from the AP- so readers in Canada seeing an AP story could know it's coming from an American-based news agency...(even though the story may literally be coming from all over the world)

QuoteWhen my mum was in school she got the word "mum" wrong in a spelling test. Strangely, most Canadians call their mother "mum" but the Canadian spelling is actually "mom" like in the US
I've seen this a lot in British shows and books and such- "Mum" is usually the name of choice for mothers in the Enid Blyton books I like to read... I assume it's pronounced just as it's spelt there- like short for "mummy"- Or as in "mum's the word". I think most Americans would say "Mom", but it just depends on each person- some prefer "Mommy" or "Mother" or "Ma" - or it may just be "Ma'am" like on Webster ;D

Olivia

Quote from: SDLagent on August 08, 2011, 05:04:53 PM
When my mum was in school she got the word "mum" wrong in a spelling test. Strangely, most Canadians call their mother "mum" but the Canadian spelling is actually "mom" like in the US.

Interestingly enough, the rest would probably be in Ontario (in saying "mom").

I spoke to someone who lived in Alberta, as well as Ontario, and she said that a lot of things are significantly different on each coast - particularly lifestyle pace. Ontario is obviously the "go, go, go" side.

Quote from: MacGyver on August 08, 2011, 06:10:45 PM
Oh wow- yeah, that would definitely be a pain to spotcheck each article for that...

My boss wanted to expand our paper into the States recently. I brought up the fact that I would have to make two different versions of articles when I edit (original articles we write) and that we'd have to research American laws and stuff (which I was willing to do). He realized the time factor and all the other projects we have on the go, however, so he stuck a fork in it.

SDLagent

Quote from: Olivia on August 09, 2011, 04:37:49 PM
Interestingly enough, the rest would probably be in Ontario (in saying "mom").

So you're saying most Ontarians say "mom"?

MacGyver

Well, I guess that was still just a working title for this book as I don't see it listed on Simon & Schuster's web site anymore. I guess they're still working on revising it...

SDLagent

Was the book actually pulled from the site or was the name just removed?

MacGyver

I can't find a listing for the book itself...

SDLagent

Hmmm. Could this finally be the end of the Undercover Brothers?

And the end of the Hardy Boys?