The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers: #40

Started by MacGyver, July 27, 2011, 09:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 01, 2011, 12:35:05 PM
Yeah, put that way about how it is outdated makes it sound just like Burned where the Hardy's were working on a case about illegally burnt CD's.
Death Network sounds like it could've fit right in the Hardy Boys Casefiles series.

I liked that book. 8) I think Death Network would be a great title. I hope they use that. ;D

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on August 01, 2011, 12:58:34 PM
I liked that book. 8) I think Death Network would be a great title. I hope they use that. ;D

You liked Burned?  That was one book where the author could've had the boys solving a really big mystery, like they used to in the Original continuity or the Casefiles with a big gang in different parts of the country or the world, but instead the author just had the boys find out that it was...one of their teachers.  That was worst than pathetic.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

QuoteDeath Network sounds like it could've fit right in the Hardy Boys Casefiles series.
Thanks, man. To me that just sounds a lot more menacing and interesting of a title, but I guess maybe they don't want it to sound too hardcore since technically there are two different audiences for The Hardy Boys Casefiles and The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers
QuoteYou liked Burned?  That was one book where the author could've had the boys solving a really big mystery, like they used to in the Original continuity or the Casefiles with a big gang in different parts of the country or the world, but instead the author just had the boys find out that it was...one of their teachers.  That was worst than pathetic.
Dude! Hello?- Spoiler alert? You totally ruined the book for me, man. ;D
(j/k)
On a more serious note though- Frank and Joe tackled a similar case in Bad Rap, #73 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles. It seems like the only main difference between the books (besides Frank and Joe receiving a rap song dedicated to them :D) is the technology and speed of availability. Of course, I'm not totally familiar with all that happens in Burned- just what I've heard. But if it's a similar issue like someone ripping off Randy Rand and profiting from bootleg copies of his music, then I think that would be a worthy case. If it's delving into the issue of whether individual consumers should burning copies of music for friends and so forth (which, no, I don't think they really should)- I think that's where fans had the concern of Frank and Joe being like the RIAA's stoolies and I can understand that.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on August 02, 2011, 12:58:32 PM! Hello?- Spoiler alert? You totally ruined the book for me, man. ;D
(j/k)

But you don't know which teacher! OOOOOOOO!

MacGyver

Well then- you got me there. :D
Let me guess- it's their computer teacher. ;)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 02, 2011, 09:35:34 AM
You liked Burned?  That was one book where the author could've had the boys solving a really big mystery, like they used to in the Original continuity or the Casefiles with a big gang in different parts of the country or the world, but instead the author just had the boys find out that it was...one of their teachers. That was worst than pathetic.

Yeah, I did! One of my favourites, actually. ;D

Quote from: MacGyver on August 02, 2011, 05:49:02 PM
Well then- you got me there. :D
Let me guess- it's their computer teacher. ;)

You got it! :D 8)

MacGyver

QuoteYeah, I did! One of my favourites, actually
Ah- my favourite way of spelling favorite. :) ;D

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on August 02, 2011, 07:22:34 PM
Ah- my favourite way of spelling favorite. :) ;D

Really? 8) Do you spell things the American or British way?

SDLagent

MacGyver

Rather! All three at times- I'm accustomed to British/Canadian spellings but I've also had to learn American spellings of course.
Though I've never been there, I just like England and many things about it. Of course, I like all countries- they all have something unique to contribute, I feel- and I like to think they are all beautiful in their own ways. :)
(I'm also a big fan of Enid Blyton and I've been kind of on a Blyton kick lately, so that's probably why I just wanted to mention that Britishism.) ;D

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on August 03, 2011, 07:36:24 AM
Rather! All three at times- I'm accustomed to British/Canadian spellings but I've also had to learn American spellings of course.
Though I've never been there, I just like England and many things about it. Of course, I like all countries- they all have something unique to contribute, I feel- and I like to think they are all beautiful in their own ways. :)
(I'm also a big fan of Enid Blyton and I've been kind of on a Blyton kick lately, so that's probably why I just wanted to mention that Britishism.) ;D

I started using British spellings when I started watching Doctor Who in 2005. I spelled favorite the British way and I got it wrong on my spelling test, can you believe that? My mom said that wasn't the right way to spell it. ::)

MacGyver

Well, favourite isn't the right way to spell favorite in America. But favourite is the right way to spell favourite in Great Britain and Canada.  ;):)

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on August 03, 2011, 12:57:24 PM
Well, favourite isn't the right way to spell favorite in America. But favourite is the right way to spell favourite in Great Britain and Canada.  ;):)
Quote from: Katie on August 03, 2011, 10:56:49 AM
I started using British spellings when I started watching Doctor Who in 2005. I spelled favorite the British way and I got it wrong on my spelling test, can you believe that? My mom said that wasn't the right way to spell it. ::)

I remember that when I was going to school here in Canada if you used American spellings on spelling tests, the teacher would still give you the mark, since you spelt the word correctly, since they realized that in Canada students would be reading a number of American books, so they would see the word (ie. color) in a book, but not see it spelt as colour

But, in Canada you also have to remember that besides adding a "U" to some words, we also use the French spelling.  For example, in Ottawa, Scotiabank Place used to be called the Corel Centre, with the "e" and "r" in center reversed.

Quote from: MacGyver
On a more serious note though- Frank and Joe tackled a similar case in Bad Rap, #73 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles. It seems like the only main difference between the books (besides Frank and Joe receiving a rap song dedicated to them ) is the technology and speed of availability. Of course, I'm not totally familiar with all that happens in Burned- just what I've heard. But if it's a similar issue like someone ripping off Randy Rand and profiting from bootleg copies of his music, then I think that would be a worthy case. If it's delving into the issue of whether individual consumers should burning copies of music for friends and so forth (which, no, I don't think they really should)- I think that's where fans had the concern of Frank and Joe being like the RIAA's stoolies and I can understand that.

It's the same as the The Mystery of the Flying Courier in terms of technology, but in both cases the writers made the whole illegal LP/CD thing be a "big" crime ring where it was operating all across, say, New England or the whole lower 48, whereas in Burned the author had the boys defeating an extremely tiny crime ring that was within their school and Bayport.  That's kind of like the FBI are going to bust you for making a back-up copy of a favorite CD, and they send 50 agents to arrest you.

The author of Burned missed a very "big" oppurtunity.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 03, 2011, 05:42:02 PM
It's the same as the The Mystery of the Flying Courier in terms of technology, but in both cases the writers made the whole illegal LP/CD thing be a "big" crime ring where it was operating all across, say, New England or the whole lower 48, whereas in Burned the author had the boys defeating an extremely tiny crime ring that was within their school and Bayport.  That's kind of like the FBI are going to bust you for making a back-up copy of a favorite CD, and they send 50 agents to arrest you.

The author of Burned missed a very "big" oppurtunity.

Should I start running? ;) I do that all the time! :)

tomswift2002

S&S really dropped the ball on Burned and did nothing to recover it.