Jan. 8-14, 2012 TV show club- 90s Hardy Boys- "Jazzman"

Started by MacGyver, January 09, 2012, 01:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Leave your thoughts and comments and reviews for the "Jazzman" episode of the 1995 series The Hardy Boys here.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

This is probably my favorite episode of the series.  Plus, you can tell that the bus terminal that was used was the Toronto bus terminal that's around or on Young Street (it's been years since I was at that terminal, but I remember when I first saw the episode on DVD, It sent shivers down my spine, since I had stood in a spot that had been shown on a Hardy Boys episode).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

That's pretty cool! 8) It's always neat to see real landmarks and places used for TV shows and movies, etc. (Although many times they are greatly altered for their on screen appearances.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 09, 2012, 10:20:42 AM
That's pretty cool! 8) It's always neat to see real landmarks and places used for TV shows and movies, etc. (Although many times they are greatly altered for their on screen appearances.)

Why is that? ???

MacGyver

Sometimes they need a real life location to double as something or somewhere else- mainly to fit budgetary constraints or perhaps for comedic purposes.

Olivia

Yeah - my dad and I recognize a lot of the locations in and around Toronto ourselves, since we don't live too far away (and he lived there at one time).

MacGyver

As to the episode itself, I have to say it's a storyline that I've seen done before on other series. (Not that it's a bad storyline necessarily, especially if the writers can bring something different to it and have The Hardy Boys take it on in a different way, separate from other versions.) But essentially you have the storyline of a race to prove a childhood hero's innocence in some sort of crime. The deadline is sometimes a court trial or maybe even a death row sentence.
     I liked this version fairly well from what I recall- I will have to go back and rewatch it again to have some fresh thoughts on it.
For the record, a few other versions of this plot that I've seen include Quantum Leap- "Last Dance Before An Execution" (In which Sam Leaps into a guy about to be electrocuted on the electric chair, but gets a last minute stay of execution and has 48 hours to prove the innocence of the guy he Leaped into and his friend. Definitely one of the most electrifying Leap-ins ever! ;D)
Also, The Flash- "Beat the Clock" - This one was kinda fitting for The Fastest Man Alive to be racing the clock to try to save the life of a jazz saxophonist who will be going to the electric chair by midnight if his innocence can't be proven. This one particularly reminds me of The Hardy Boys (or rather, vice versa) since they both involve jazz musicians.