What kind of medical training do Frank and Joe have?

Started by Hardy Boys UB Fan, January 25, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 27, 2011, 10:46:52 AM

Yeah. They can anything they want to, can't they?  ;D
What was The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook about? ??? Is it like The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook?

MacGyver

The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook is a collection of 8 short stories that illustrate how one can use survival techniques to preserve one's life in emergency situations. Frank and Joe first go through a survival training course in the first story and give the reader the contents needed to make a survival kit to carry in one's car or have at the ready at home.
The other stories have Frank and Joe in various emergency situations- Joe helps Frank defeat hypothermia, Frank helps lead a search party to find Joe when he gets lost in the wilderness, Frank and Joe get stuck in the desert and have to survive for a few days with only what they have in their car, Frank and Joe and friends brave a flood and survive while trapped in a flooded house, Frank and Joe and their pilot survive in the jungle for a while when their plane crashes, and in the last story Frank and Joe help three guys who have run out of food in the woods learn how to live off the land, eating herbs and fruits and vegetables and catching fish and small animals for food until they can get rescued.
It's a really neat book with illustrations throughout it, similar to the Wanderer book illustrations. I really enjoy it- I remember first getting it as a kid and going about making a survival kit for the family. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 27, 2011, 03:12:12 PM
The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook is a collection of 8 short stories that illustrate how one can use survival techniques to preserve one's life in emergency situations. Frank and Joe first go through a survival training course in the first story and give the reader the contents needed to make a survival kit to carry in one's car or have at the ready at home.
The other stories have Frank and Joe in various emergency situations- Joe helps Frank defeat hypothermia, Frank helps lead a search party to find Joe when he gets lost in the wilderness, Frank and Joe get stuck in the desert and have to survive for a few days with only what they have in their car, Frank and Joe and friends brave a flood and survive while trapped in a flooded house, Frank and Joe and their pilot survive in the jungle for a while when their plane crashes, and in the last story Frank and Joe help three guys who have run out of food in the woods learn how to live off the land, eating herbs and fruits and vegetables and catching fish and small animals for food until they can get rescued.
It's a really neat book with illustrations throughout it, similar to the Wanderer book illustrations. I really enjoy it- I remember first getting it as a kid and going about making a survival kit for the family. :)

Let me guess, it's out of print?

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 27, 2011, 03:30:57 PM
Let me guess, it's out of print?

I don't think it is. I have a copy and I think you can find it on eBay or Amazon.  ;)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on January 27, 2011, 05:38:31 PM
I don't think it is. I have a copy and I think you can find it on eBay or Amazon.  ;)

I mean, can you find a new copy in the store? Have you read Hardy Boys UB Feeding Frenzy?

Warning: Spoiler to follow!

Did you think them having to make a incision in the girl's throat to get her to breathe was a bit graphic for a UB?

JoeHardyRocks

Probably not. They didn't describe it with blood or anything. I thought it was pretty tame, LOL like a G rating....
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on January 27, 2011, 05:57:07 PM
Probably not. They didn't describe it with blood or anything. I thought it was pretty tame, LOL like a G rating....

I thought they were against doing that sort of thing and waiting for the EMTs to come. ???   What do you think made them decide to go through with it? I think it was time.  :-\

tomswift2002

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 27, 2011, 05:56:15 PM
I mean, can you find a new copy in the store? Have you read Hardy Boys UB Feeding Frenzy?

Warning: Spoiler to follow!

Did you think them having to make a incision in the girl's throat to get her to breathe was a bit graphic for a UB?

The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook was released in 1980 and it was only in print till around 1984, although it is extremely hard to find, with the hardcover dustjacket version being one of the scarciest Hardy Boys books ever, since the hardcover was marketed mainly for libraries, and the softcover didn't sell that well either.  Collins released a hardcover version in 1980, as well as a softcover version the same year through their Armada imprint, over in the UK that was typeset from scratch so that you had the British spellings (ie. tire = tyre).

As for making an incision for a trachea, it's been years since I took any First Aid, but considering that one of the first rules of First Aid is to make sure the airway is clear, if you can't get a clear airway, then you might have no option but to get something into the person's airway to allow them to breath.  Performing a trachea might be taught in Advance First Aid classes, but I don't know for sure..
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 27, 2011, 05:56:15 PMWarning: Spoiler to follow!

I liked it. I think it was one of the most exciting scenes in the whole series.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on January 27, 2011, 06:30:19 PM
I liked it. I think it was one of the most exciting scenes in the whole series.

So did I! That was a really intense part in the book, wasn't it?

tomswift2002

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 27, 2011, 06:42:20 PM
So did I! That was a really intense part in the book, wasn't it?

No.  The cover was about the most intense part.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

I'm not a UB fan at all but I can admit that was a pretty intense part.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on January 27, 2011, 06:48:29 PM
I'm not a UB fan at all but I can admit that was a pretty intense part.

Any other intense parts in the casefiles or the UB's that you can think of?

SDLagent

Not in the UB. The only other parts that stand-out in that series are from Wanted.

But in the Casefiles there's quite a few. Obviously, Iola's death in Dead on Target, her "return" in The Lazarus Plot, Joe losing his memory and attacking Frank in Brother Against Brother, the death of Fenton in Endangered Species, and Frank allowing Joe to beat-up a criminal in No Mercy. These are some of the most memorable moments in the series but I also remember some pretty intense scenes in Witness to Murder.

MacGyver

The entire book Dead of Night was pretty intense.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"