Break-Up, Hardy Boys New Casefile #2

Started by SkyWarp, August 05, 2010, 12:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

Break-Up , the second graphic novel in the new Hardy Boys New Casefiles graphic novel series from Papercutz, is now up on Amazon for pre-order.  A large version of the cover may be found at the Macmillan web site.

Q

Do you think that the Hardy Boys might be splitting up?

Bigfootman

http://us.macmillan.com/CMS400/uploadedFiles/MacmillanSite/Non-Menu_Items/bookseller_services/Winter11PZ_cropped_reduced.pdf
Here's the cover and a plot summery. The cover reminds me of "Brother Against Brother".

Plot summery:
Joe and Frank Experience irreconcilable differences!
The world-famous Hardy Boys have been solving mysteries for like
forever, but the unthinkable has finally happened ? Frank and Joe have
decided to no longer work together. Like Lennon and McCartney, Martin
and Lewis, Sonny and Cher, all things must pass. Will they continue as
agents of A.T.A.C. (American Teens Against Crime) separately?

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Q

There's not much else that the book could have been about.

MacGyver

Oh no- they finally decided to make The Hardy Men movie and here's the comic book adaptation of the movie! ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I do like the cover though! And Gerry Conway is a comics name I've heard bandied about before- he's pretty good. Should be interesting to see what he does with The Hardy Boys.
The cover looks like Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter getting ready to fight. 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Sounds like it could be really interesting and different story. Or, if poorly done, a really bad story. We'll wait and see.

The cover is kind of lame. Not bad, but it could have been a lot better.

tomswift2002

Well, hopefully this will be the last comic with ATAC in it.

But did you see the sales figures for the Graphic Novels:  300,000 copies (about 60,000 copies per year) for The Hardy Boys GN's since 2005, and 350,000 (about 70,000/year) for Nancy Drew?  Not exactly the same level as the advertised 2 million for the Grosset & Dunlap, but still very impressive for books that are rarely in the bookstores.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 18, 2010, 01:31:04 PM
Well, hopefully this will be the last comic with ATAC in it.

But did you see the sales figures for the Graphic Novels:  300,000 copies (about 60,000 copies per year) for The Hardy Boys GN's since 2005, and 350,000 (about 70,000/year) for Nancy Drew?  Not exactly the same level as the advertised 2 million for the Grosset & Dunlap, but still very impressive for books that are rarely in the bookstores.

Both the thought of no more ATAC and the sales figures make me happy.

tomswift2002

Well I'm not to sure where the sales figures place the Hardy Boys amongst the comics/graphic novels by the smaller Comic Book publishers (by smaller, I mean the ones that are not related to Marvel or DC), but from what Papercutz is saying, the HB and ND GN's may be their "bread and butter" series, and possible some of the better selling comic series.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

NancyDrew

Quote from: MacGyver on August 16, 2010, 01:56:01 PM
Oh no- they finally decided to make The Hardy Men movie and here's the comic book adaptation of the movie! ;D

LOL Dang it. And I was hoping we'd avoid that! Lol

Well I guess we'll see how this goes. Personally, I doubt it last past the bookends but I guess there's only one way to find out. I think it's one of those stories that can be either really awesome or really awful.

hardygirl847

The Hardy boys are fighting??! Oh no!!! lol It was bound to happen. Is it for real or a scheme of some sorts? When does this one come out? MARCH 15, 2011?! ARE YOU KIDDING?! UGH...mean.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

So now we know that the "break up" lasts at least through the second issue of The Hardy Boys graphic novel series and into the third issue of the Nancy Drew graphic novels. Will it be an ongoing thing for a while? Who knows? Frank and Joe have had some differences at times and this theme has been touched on to some degree in the past- but it's never been a really prolonged thing, I think- so that should be interested.
Previous similar situations would include- Season 3 of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries- from what I understand, some of the episodes dealt with this a bit. One in particular

MacGyver

I was going to say that one episode in particular would be "Game Plan"- though I think there were some spars (not necessarily fisticuffs though) between Frank and Joe in other episodes. This is seen to a much milder degree in the '90s show as well.
You also have this sort of scenario in Brother Against Brother and Dead of Night (#11 and #80 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles), but those scenarios were a bit different since we had amnesia and "crazy juice" involved in both, respectively.

hardygirl847

Frank and Joe are a tad different in Season 3. I have to rewatch the 90s series to comment on that one. It's a rainy/snowy day...maybe I will go do that. :)

But anyways, Frank and Joe were less of a team in the last series. I felt like they went off on their own more. They were mainly together but worked solo more often. At least that's how it felt to me. Not sure why that was. Maybe it was trying to show them growing up?

As for the GN plotline, I am super excited. Of course I don't want them to hate each other or be permanently separated, BUT it's different. It's taking the stories, their relationship, etc to a whole new level. It's not safe to say yet if it will be done correctly and fans will embrace it. However, I am really looking forward to finding out.

Btw, does anyone know how the books are going to line up?

Book 1- Crawling with Zombies
Book 2 Break up
Book 3- With ND or a whole different title?

Also, in a fight between Frank and Joe...who are you going to root for?
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)