Hardy Boys Adventures #6 - The Battle of Bayport

Started by kosmicdust, October 26, 2013, 06:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

QuoteHow are they better then the UB's?

The criminals are not trying to kill people with hot dogs!

Yeah- that's one way The Hardy Boys Casefiles are WAY better than the UB books. lol ;D
For me, another main reason is just that the writing style is on a higher level (and yes, I realize the Casefiles are aimed at teenagers whereas the UB books are aimed at preteen children), but the writing is just better in any case. And the Casefiles generally steers clear of foul language (if they have any at all they might mention a character swearing under their breath in cases of extreme duress- and it happens very rarely. With the UB books, it was much more blatant- I didn't care for that at all.)
And of course, the plots in general are just much better and coherent in the Casefiles- there is much more of a continuity maintained there. And I think the Casefiles are generally more respectful to The Hardy Boys canon and spirit of the originals than the UB books are at all.
    I'm sure there are more reasons, but those are some of the main ones.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on March 06, 2014, 09:10:05 AM
Yeah- that's one way The Hardy Boys Casefiles are WAY better than the UB books. lol ;D
For me, another main reason is just that the writing style is on a higher level (and yes, I realize the Casefiles are aimed at teenagers whereas the UB books are aimed at preteen children), but the writing is just better in any case. And the Casefiles generally steers clear of foul language (if they have any at all they might mention a character swearing under their breath in cases of extreme duress- and it happens very rarely. With the UB books, it was much more blatant- I didn't care for that at all.)
And of course, the plots in general are just much better and coherent in the Casefiles- there is much more of a continuity maintained there. And I think the Casefiles are generally more respectful to The Hardy Boys canon and spirit of the originals than the UB books are at all.
    I'm sure there are more reasons, but those are some of the main ones.

Yeah, I've not read any swearing in the Adventures series so far. But the UB series was full of it. ::)

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on March 06, 2014, 09:10:05 AM

Also, so far, the authors are not recycling the same story, book after book after book, or using the same plot device:  Murder by a gang of one!
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

That's another good point. I can understand having some basic similar plots (i.e. the Hardy Boys investigate a string of bank robberies, The Hardy Boys tackle counterfeiters, The Hardy Boys stop industrial sabotage, etc.)- But at least find a way to tell it in a different way and make the stories unique from the others.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Also with the UB's, right around book 16, I was finding that the authors were recycling the guest characters, but giving them new names.  So if the story involved a reality show, then you knew that there was going to be a famous person trying to redeem their public image, some loud mouth who would get annoying, etc. etc.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Hmm- interesting. I haven't gotten nearly that far in my reading of the UB books- it took me forever to finally read the first one and that's all I've read so far. (Though I have read all the graphic novels and I do immensely enjoy those.) But the book series is very much hit and miss it seems- but apparently more miss than hit for the most part.

tomswift2002

I just picked up my copies of "The Battle of Bayport", both the paperback and hardcover versions.

MacGyver

Cool- Did you pre-order it perhaps? It's not scheduled to release until June 3rd. according to Amazon's listing.
It sounds like an interesting book- I'll be excited to get a copy soon too. :) 8)

tomswift2002

Yeah I pre-ordered a number of books about a month ago from Chapters, so these two were just released.

MacGyver

Okay- that's neat. I guess pre-ordering gets the books to you a few days early- that's a nice plus. :)

MacGyver

Wow! Really love seeing the whole painting for this cover. This is probably one of my favorites of the HBA covers so far. :) 8)