Play Ball (90s TV series episode)

Started by Bigfootman, February 18, 2011, 08:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Yeah, I'm not gonna get in the middle of this or anything- but I'm giving JHR points for creatively illustrating her point in her last post. Awesome! :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 18, 2011, 08:32:45 PM
If you saw half of a painting, would you tell people you knew what it looked like? And again, a review is a critical article or report. Just because you're using "your definition" doesn't make you right.

Wat ha a epis, o rea ha a bo, o pla ha a ga, i sti no eno t ma a fa asses o somet. Doi on ha wo gi yo a cle id o anyt.

Highlight below.

Watching half an episode, or reading half a book, or playing half a game, is still not enough to make a fair assesment of something. Doing only half won't give you a clear idea of anything.

What's going on? ::) ??? :-\

MacGyver

Apparently JHR and Dan are discussing what the definitions of "read", "watched" and "played" are.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 18, 2011, 11:44:03 PM
Apparently JHR and Dan are discussing what the definitions of "read", "watched" and "played" are.

Whatever, I guess. ::)

hardygirl847

I have to say this is pretty entertaining. :)

I can see both points.

Generally speaking, one should have at least read, watched, or played something most of the way through to be able to give a true review or critical assessment of it.

However, from playing the Wii HB game, I can say it's hard without finishing it. The mere fact that it's so hard to complete draws on the conclusion that it's really hard. Now, that's in my opinion...and considering I'm also not a great video game player. However, I still gave it a go before giving up and claiming defeat.

While 4 or 5 is not a lot...it's still a significant enough number to say that it's something of a pattern. Perhaps using "a lot" is not fair but saying "a few" or "some" would be more accurate.

Either way, I think the point trying to be made here....is ...Before saying something is completely awful, have a true basis for that conclusion. Finish the book or finish the episode. It's really only 20 minutes long.

You have more credibility and conviction in your review when you have background knowledge to back it up.

JHR, awesome ways of illustrating your point. I agree with Mac on that one. :) Very clever.

I hope there is some resolution to all of this...but til then, it's at least entertaining. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Olivia

I found this episode was more of a regular TV plot as opposed to a "Hardy Boys mystery" plot. Although, like everyone was saying, if there was more than the 20 minute limit, they could have done more. But I also consider this series a new take on the HBs without butchering their integrity.

Dinosaur Dan: Some are better than others. It depends what you're looking for, but some episodes are more funny, others have a bit more action. The ones you mentioned before I don't consider a reflection of the series. All That Glitters was a bit weird and annoying with the girl, Jazzman was strangely "deep", and Play Ball was a basic plot.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Olivia on February 21, 2011, 11:08:12 AM
I found this episode was more of a regular TV plot as opposed to a "Hardy Boys mystery" plot. Although, like everyone was saying, if there was more than the 20 minute limit, they could have done more. But I also consider this series a new take on the HBs without butchering their integrity.

Dinosaur Dan: Some are better than others. It depends what you're looking for, but some episodes are more funny, others have a bit more action. The ones you mentioned before I don't consider a reflection of the series. All That Glitters was a bit weird and annoying with the girl, Jazzman was strangely "deep", and Play Ball was a basic plot.

I argee! Those are a bit odd. ;)

Bigfootman

I am going to try to borrow the Hardy Boys dvd from the library again and re-review it. Sorry about reviewing it without finishing it, I wrote the review when I over tired, and the argument was late at night. Sorry about that.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

That's cool, man. Maybe you'll like it better on the second go-round. :D

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on March 16, 2011, 10:28:34 PM
That's cool, man. Maybe you'll like it better on the second go-round. :D

Sometimes that does work...and sometimes it reminds you why you didn't like it in the first place.

Off subject but I tried to watch a few shows I loved as a kid and WOW...I couldn't stand them. Now, please keep in mind that my DVR is FILLED with kid tv programs. So it has nothing to do with me being older and not liking kid shows. I actually LOVE kid shows. I am an avid fan of Ben 10 for crying out loud. BUT some of those older shows I just could not get back into.

Okay...back onto subject. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Haha- I've heard similar sentiments from others on some shows. I have rewatched a number of the shows I watched as a kid- and I still love watching them! (Of course, a lot of my TV viewing is 1980s reruns in any case- or older time periods- and some from the '90s) ;D :)
     But yeah- sometimes nostalgia clouds things, but I really love my older classics. Thankfully there are a few kids shows today that are pretty good- just saw Phineas and Ferb last night- the episode where they build a time machine- that one was great!
    And this is more a monetary thing than anything here, but I will say that there are some cartoons and kids shows that I'm content to just watch a random episode here or there on Youtube or a "Best Of" DVD or something- and others that I'm a big enough fan of to want to get the whole series on DVD. But yeah- I LOVE kid shows and cartoons. (There's a reason I also hang out online at www.80scartoons.net - haha- okay, quick promotional over now.) ;D

hardygirl847

I think my lack of an accurate memory also clouds things. lol I will have to check out that site. Sounds cool.

TV today is getting scary. The amount of bad words one can hear on a normal sitcom is baffling.

Phineas and Ferb is very cute. I don't watch it all the time but it's very good.