Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers #39: Movie Mayhem

Started by SkyWarp, June 11, 2011, 12:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

The cover art for Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers #39 Movie Mayhem: Book Three In The Deathstalker Trilogy is now up at Amazon.com.

JoeHardyRocks

LOL The guy who is "Joe" loks exactly like this guy I know... Eh, this cover isn't my favorite, but I think it's a SLIGHT improvement from the last few...
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on June 11, 2011, 10:06:52 PM
LOL The guy who is "Joe" loks exactly like this guy I know... Eh, this cover isn't my favorite, but I think it's a SLIGHT improvement from the last few...

Tell me about it! ;)

MacGyver

I like the lights in the background- it gives it the glitzy-glamorous look a movie should have. Still- it doesn't seem like many of The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers titles (at least not since the redesign to include actors to portray Frank and Joe) really have a very action oriented cover. Outside of the title and The Hardy Boys' reputation, I don't think I would've been grabbed as a kid to want to read this book because it looked like it would be exciting. It seems like this is one thing most all of the previous Hardy Boys books have always been pretty good about doing with their covers.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on June 13, 2011, 07:25:47 AM
I like the lights in the background- it gives it the glitzy-glamorous look a movie should have. Still- it doesn't seem like many of The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers titles (at least not since the redesign to include actors to portray Frank and Joe) really have a very action oriented cover. Outside of the title and The Hardy Boys' reputation, I don't think I would've been grabbed as a kid to want to read this book because it looked like it would be exciting. It seems like this is one thing most all of the previous Hardy Boys books have always been pretty good about doing with their covers.

Even the cover for The Shattered Helmet (or even the 1927/1933 covers of The Tower Treasure) is more exciting than these present covers.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Yeah- The Shattered Helmet went for more of a conceptual theme in its cover. (Grossett & Dunlap's version anyway.) I think the British covers made it look a bit more exciting (http://www.hardyboys.co.uk/gallery/45.php). In any case, the story was great either way.
And that always helps make up for covers that are slightly less than action-packed and intriguing...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on June 13, 2011, 07:25:47 AM

Agreed. They need drawings back on the covers.
Quote from: MacGyver on June 14, 2011, 06:57:30 PM
Yeah- The Shattered Helmet went for more of a conceptual theme in its cover. (Grossett & Dunlap's version anyway.) I think the British covers made it look a bit more exciting (http://www.hardyboys.co.uk/gallery/45.php). In any case, the story was great either way.
And that always helps make up for covers that are slightly less than action-packed and intriguing...

Yeah, the British covers always looked more exciting. Which is change-up of the steriotype that American entertainment is more action-oriented than British. Maybe it was because the books weren't as well known in the UK and couldn't relay on that reputation you talked about in your other post.

MacGyver

Good point- and I guess The Hardy Boys would also be competing with the likes of The Famous Five and The Secret Seven series, both from Enid Blyton, whose reputation is very well established, due to their immense popularity with the British.
I like the American covers pretty well too, of course- but I also grew up with a lot of the British covers primarily and I've always enjoyed those. :)