Hardy Boys BREAK UP

Started by hardygirl847, March 09, 2011, 11:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

I finally got a call the other day that Break-Up is in at my local bookshop. I was beginning to think I hadn't ordered it!

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on April 01, 2011, 01:35:15 PM
I would suggest going to Barnes & Noble for that or Books-A-Million. Neither store seems to mind too much if their customers do just that. (Mainly because they're hoping they'll buy some coffee and snacks instead. ;D )

I know! ;) ;D

SDLagent

SDLagent

Read Break-Up today. I don't know what you guys think of it (I haven't read the posts in this thread, yet) but I was disappointed. I found it hard to believe that Frank and Joe would just suddenly be at each other's throats. I know they had a few disagreements in the last title but it still felt abrupt to me. In that one their disagreements seemed easier to believe but, in my opinion, were overdone in this title. But maybe that's why it was specifically mentioned that an unusual amount of time - about a month - had passed between Break-Up and Frank and Joe's last ATAC mission. They were cooped-up together for a month with nothing to do (by Hardy standards, anyway) so perhaps cabin fever contributed to their already strained relationship.

And this graphic novel didn't live-up to it's name. At the end of the story Frank and Joe, despite their differences, were still working together which was disappointing. I know I just complained about the boys' fighting but it's not the fighting or the would-be "break-up" I'm against, it's how rushed and unnatural it seems. Sort of anticlimactic considering this was supposed to be "the end of the Hardy boys."

There were some highlights, though - like the use of Chet and even newer chums like Brian and Belinda. I thought it was sort of weird that Frank seemed scared of Brian, though, considering he's put the big guy in his place a few times in this series.  I also liked when Frank said something along the lines that he and Joe had to work together because they're the Hardy boys. It was a cool quote and it showed that no matter how petty Frank (and Joe) seemed,  he realizes how important their partnership is.

So, Break-Up wasn't as good as Crawling with Zombies but it wasn't bad and this series certainly shows promise. I just hope we get more subtle scripts and more interesting plots than sabotage on a reality TV series - a premise that has been unbelievably overused in the world of the Undercover Brothers.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on May 07, 2011, 11:45:57 PM
Do you?

Whatever . . . ::)

Quote from: SDLagent on May 10, 2011, 12:01:12 AM
Read Break-Up today. I don't know what you guys think of it (I haven't read the posts in this thread, yet) but I was disappointed. I found it hard to believe that Frank and Joe would just suddenly be at each other's throats. I know they had a few disagreements in the last title but it still felt abrupt to me. In that one their disagreements seemed easier to believe but, in my opinion, were overdone in this title. But maybe that's why it was specifically mentioned that an unusual amount of time - about a month - had passed between Break-Up and Frank and Joe's last ATAC mission. They were cooped-up together for a month with nothing to do (by Hardy standards, anyway) so perhaps cabin fever contributed to their already strained relationship.

And this graphic novel didn't live-up to it's name. At the end of the story Frank and Joe, despite their differences, were still working together which was disappointing. I know I just complained about the boys' fighting but it's not the fighting or the would-be "break-up" I'm against, it's how rushed and unnatural it seems. Sort of anticlimactic considering this was supposed to be "the end of the Hardy boys."

There were some highlights, though - like the use of Chet and even newer chums like Brian and Belinda. I thought it was sort of weird that Frank seemed scared of Brian, though, considering he's put the big guy in his place a few times in this series.  I also liked when Frank said something along the lines that he and Joe had to work together because they're the Hardy boys. It was a cool quote and it showed that no matter how petty Frank (and Joe) seemed,  he realizes how important their partnership is.

So, Break-Up wasn't as good as Crawling with Zombies but it wasn't bad and this series certainly shows promise. I just hope we get more subtle scripts and more interesting plots than sabotage on a reality TV series - a premise that has been unbelievably overused in the world of the Undercover Brothers.

I don't think so. ::) Not every book has that in it. The Lost Trilogy didn't. That felt really close to the Casefiles to me. ;D

SDLagent

You're talking about the reality TV plot, right? Yeah, not every has that in it but a heck of a lot do! I think there's been at least eight in the Undercover Brothers novel series and at least two in the graphic novel series.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on May 10, 2011, 04:30:04 PM
You're talking about the reality TV plot, right? Yeah, not every has that in it but a heck of a lot do! I think there's been at least eight in the Undercover Brothers novel series and at least two in the graphic novel series.

Yeah. ;D Can they just not think of something else or what's the deal? ::)

MacGyver

What did the Hardy Boys do for mysteries before they had reality TV shows? ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on May 10, 2011, 06:35:30 PM

They worked for the Network. Or on their own. ;D

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on May 10, 2011, 06:35:30 PM

They investigated murders or *gasp* bank robberies.

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: SDLagent on May 11, 2011, 04:05:35 PM
They investigated murders or *gasp* bank robberies.

Shocking!  :o ;)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on May 13, 2011, 02:09:37 PM
Shocking!  :o ;)

I think SDLagent was just kidding. ::) You know how he is. ;) :)

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: Katie on May 13, 2011, 02:19:59 PM
I think SDLagent was just kidding. ::) You know how he is. ;) :)

I was kidding, too.  :)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...