Buried In Time (30th Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, July 16, 2021, 10:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Published: August 1990
Publisher: Archway Paperbacks (1990-1998?)
Author:  Peter Lerangis & Larry Mike Garmon
Other Hardy's by Authors: Lerangis-Casefiles #9, 13, 18, 37, A Crime for Christmas, Shockwaves
Garmon-Casefiles #27, 36, 39, 43, 46, 126

Plot:  #7 - Buried in Time
#6 #8

NANCY DREW heads west to help archeologist Tod Langford investigate a series of thefts and threats interrupting his work. A young Native American woman, Red Sky Winsea, claims that he has disturbed the dead, desecrating a sacred Indian burial site. But the morning after Nancy's arrival, she learns that Tod has unearthed more than a poltergeist. For the burial ground has become a killing ground -- and Langford had dug his own grave.

MEANWHILE...

FRANK AND JOE HARDY are checking out a nearby air force base. A vital shipment has been hijacked, and the materials could be used to build an atom bomb! The trail leads to the indian burial site. But Joe is distracted by the beautiful Sky and seems to have lost sight of the danger. If the missing shipment falls into the wrong hands, true evil may rise up from the grave, with catastrophic results.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Buried in Time is a favourite for me mainly because I have owned this one since childhood. I feel like I probably read it multiple times as well. One thing I really liked in this one was The Network's involvement, as well as the revelation that Nancy Drew seems to be aware of this group. She knows enough to not let on to George about The Hardy Boys' "group".
   It seems a shame that The Network never showed up in The Nancy Drew Files. (As far as I know) It could have made for a neat cross promotion to have a story start in The Hardy Boys Casefiles and conclude in the Nancy Drew Files. (That could have been done with anything of course but using The Network as a unifying element would have been interesting.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

This was one of the last SuperMystery '88's that I ever read, so so I had forgotten that it was a Network case for Frank & Joe.  I remember the Network was in "Best of Enemies", but I totally forgot about it here.  Also it's interesting how Nancy knows about the Network, yet it's never revealed how she knows of it, since in the 50 Files and 5 previous SM'88 books, the Network is never mentioned.  And Nancy attended Bayport High before Frank and Joe met the Gray Man.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

I assumed Frank and Joe might have told her though that seems really unlikely. Perhaps the reader is meant to assume Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys had a previous case together wherein Nancy met the Gray Man. This sounds like a great potential fanfiction story.
   What's weird is that in a later book in the series, I'm pretty sure the Gray Man actually interacts with Nancy and George and identifies himself as a secret agent to both of them.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

NZone

In the first SuperMystery, Nancy and the Hardys already know each other. Is that ever explained?
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

tomswift2002

Quote from: NZone on July 18, 2021, 10:53:28 AM
In the first SuperMystery, Nancy and the Hardys already know each other. Is that ever explained?
"Double Crossing" explains that during Nancy's senior year of high school, she was an exchange student at Bayport High and had met Frank and Joe then.  It's also how she knows about Callie Shaw and Iola Morton, even though neither appear in the SuperMystery'88 books, aside from a mention or the keys from the Hardy's car playing a role in "Shockwaves".

tomswift2002

Now this is interesting, but the Hardy's, while working for the Network in this book, don't seem to be working for the Gray Man, instead their contact's code name is "Lifeline".  We've met other Network operatives in the past, such as in 'Hostages of Hate' but I don't recall ever hearing of this operative.