Favorite Hardy Boys covers

Started by SDLagent, March 12, 2010, 04:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 22, 2010, 05:11:29 PM
Last time that I looked at Wanted in a bookstore I noticed that S&S had removed the blue cover and all that was left was the "blurry" picture.

You'd think it would be the other way around. That tagline, "Two teen boys committing crimes all over Bayport...", is really what got me interested in the book, which, in turn, lead me to the rest of the UB series. The blurry picture would not have.

hardygirl847

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

I've always loved the pulpy covers of the 30s and 40s, and The House on the Cliff cover by A.O. Scott, which I own, is, I think, the best Hardy Boys cover ever. I also own the cover of The Flickering Torch Mystery by Paul Laune. It's a shame these old dust jackets are so hard to come by...

hardygirl847

Those are really cool! I notice them on Amazon once in awhile but I have a feeling that you might not get that one when it comes in the mail. That would really tick me off!!

But yeah the classics and various versions of such make them stand out and are more meaningful.

I'm not as impressed with the covers of today.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on March 31, 2010, 03:06:18 AM
I'm not as impressed with the covers of today.

Same here. The ones from the 30s and 40s are my favorite, but there's some pretty good covers from the 60s, too...

I picked this up at a used bookstore, last week, along with four other books. This cover's the best of the bunch,

I like this one (from from 1947), too.

MacGyver

I like how The Mystery of the Flying Express cover there kinda has you wondering whether Frank and Joe are running toward this guy in the bushes with Joe about to trip over that package or if Frank and Joe have just come to pick up the package and the guy in the bushes is spying on them and the Hardys have just noticed this and now undoubtedly are about to run toward the guy (but hopefully they will first successfully move past the package without tripping. :))
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Plus, there isn't many Hardy Boys covers from this point of view or with close-ups of bad guys.

hardygirl847

I really like the Phantom Freighter one you posted! Nice!! :)

SDLagent

MacGyver

I think this one was kind of a no-brainer cover. I mean, if you're gonna call the book "A Figure in Hiding", I guess you might as well have a figure in hiding on the cover. ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I like his facial expression. Click the image for full size.

SkyWarp

Quote from: SDLagent on April 02, 2010, 01:15:52 AM
I like his facial expression. Click the image for full size.

Is that a person's face in the window looking out?

hardygirl847

Am I the only one that finds him creepy??? And who's window is he spying on???

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on March 31, 2010, 10:58:44 PM
Plus, there isn't many Hardy Boys covers from this point of view or with close-ups of bad guys.

Well one of my favorite covers from the pov of the criminal is Thick As Thieves.  That hand pointing the gun at Frank with Joe in the background is what got me to check out from the school library and read the book originally back in 1995.

https://www.hardyboyscasefiles.com/series/casefiles.php?book_no=029
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

hardygirl847

Thick as Thieves is one of my FAVES! That's probably why it ended up on the poll. :)