Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermystery: Gold Medal Murder

Started by FrankJoeATAC, September 07, 2009, 02:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Can someone tell me why they even had to swear? I don't get it or see any reason for them to do so.

MacGyver

Me neither. I don't think any of us do. That's the point- there never is a need for swearing. The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew should avoid that vice and set a good example for kids (and everyone).
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 28, 2011, 05:06:21 PM
Me neither. I don't think any of us do. That's the point- there never is a need for swearing. The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew should avoid that vice and set a good example for kids (and everyone).

Do you think that S&S slipped up or are they trying to make them fit in more with today's times? :-\

MacGyver

From what I read somewhere, their official word is that they slipped up and newer printings will supposedly have the offending words expunged. And not everyone in today's times believe in swearing- so it would be nice to maintain The Hardy Boys as the paragon of that high moral standard that they've always had and that kids (and adults) should strive towards.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 28, 2011, 09:06:10 PM
From what I read somewhere, their official word is that they slipped up and newer printings will supposedly have the offending words expunged. And not everyone in today's times believe in swearing- so it would be nice to maintain The Hardy Boys as the paragon of that high moral standard that they've always had and that kids (and adults) should strive towards.

Yeah. :) Unfortunately that's not the case, anymore. :( Just wondering, when did they start having Frank, Joe and Nancy Drew swear in the books?

MacGyver

Apparently a few words have slipped in here and there in some of the Undercover Brothers books- I think at first it may have just been the bad guys saying bad words (which I'd still rather not read in a Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew book no matter who's saying them)- but then Frank, Joe and Nancy have all apparently used some foul language at different places. I just noticed in the first few pages of Forever Lost that Frank says a phrase I'd prefer they didn't use.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 28, 2011, 09:15:56 PM
Apparently a few words have slipped in here and there in some of the Undercover Brothers books- I think at first it may have just been the bad guys saying bad words (which I'd still rather not read in a Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew book no matter who's saying them)- but then Frank, Joe and Nancy have all apparently used some foul language at different places. I just noticed in the first few pages of Forever Lost that Frank says a phrase I'd prefer they didn't use.

What was it?

SDLagent

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 28, 2011, 09:12:56 PM
Yeah. :) Unfortunately that's not the case, anymore. :( Just wondering, when did they start having Frank, Joe and Nancy Drew swear in the books?

As Mac said it was a slip-up not a policy change. No one at S&S ever said "From this point on Frank and Joe will swear or anything like that." I'm sure swear words have slipped into Hardy Boys books for a long time but there usually edited out before publication. Overall, there's been more mistakes in the UB than in past series and the swearing is just one aspect of that.

MacGyver

QuoteWhat was it?
Well, some people might write this off as mild or not that bad, but essentially Frank was calling my God, but not really addressing Him. Thus, it's still taking The Lord's name in vain and I don't care for that.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 29, 2011, 08:43:26 PM
Well, some people might write this off as mild or not that bad, but essentially Frank was calling my God, but not really addressing Him. Thus, it's still taking The Lord's name in vain and I don't care for that.

Yeah. I don't care that either. :o There's other words that Frank could've used, and they would've been just as good. ::)   

Bigfootman

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 28, 2011, 09:12:56 PM
Apparently the Nancy Drew book "The Phantom Of Venice" had Nancy saying a swear word. I saw somebody complaining about on a website, don't remember which. I have yet to finish "The Phantom Of Venice", so I don't know if this is true or not.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on January 30, 2011, 03:09:41 PM
Apparently the Nancy Drew book "The Phantom Of Venice" had Nancy saying a swear word. I saw somebody complaining about on a website, don't remember which. I have yet to finish "The Phantom Of Venice", so I don't know if this is true or not.

I have The Phantom Of Venice Nancy Drew PC Game by Her Interactive, and I haven't played it in awhile, but I don't remember any swear words in it. 

tomswift2002

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 29, 2011, 09:43:46 PM
Yeah. I don't care that either. :o There's other words that Frank could've used, and they would've been just as good. ::)   

I found that scene and I don't think that Frank said it, but rather someone in the crowd did.  But still, I don't think it belongs in a children's book.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Okay- well, at least it wasn't Frank saying it then- but it still doesn't need to be there. (Of course, the first person narration sometimes makes it hard for me to tell who's saying what. Of course, that's just from glancing through them though.)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on August 19, 2010, 02:43:30 PM
Well, having the first letter and than dashes doesn't help much either. We all know what it says so it doesn't really help.

Or like when I was watching something on BBC America, and had the Closed Captioning turned on, and while they were beeping the swear words out of what was being said, they weren't on the CC! They had the swear words on there with the vowels of the swear words removed. ::) So all you had to do was fill in the vowels and you would know what was said.  :o Great job on that one, BBC America! >:( ::)