Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermystery: Gold Medal Murder

Started by FrankJoeATAC, September 07, 2009, 02:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokerette

I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

FrankJoeATAC

Hey I've been gone forever!! It's good to be back  :)

I read this crossover, and thought it was okay.... the story wasn't great, and I really didn't like the cursing either. I know that they weren't really bad words, but I was still pretty surprised to see them, especially when Nancy said them. I think when there's cursing in books, it just makes the characters seem...I don't know, immature or something. It's just Nancy and Frank and Joe are supposed to be role models and stuff....

Jokerette

I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

JoeHardyRocks

"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Jokerette

okie-dokie let's try again.

woot once more! JHR is back!

JoeHardyRocks

"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Olivia

Quote from: FrankJoeATAC on September 11, 2010, 10:48:33 PM
Hey I've been gone forever!! It's good to be back  :)

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on September 30, 2010, 08:14:31 PM
LOL just thought I'd say I'm back too :D

It's good to see you two on here again! I was back briefly a little while ago, but now I'm trying to come on more often :)

Quote from: FrankJoeATAC on September 11, 2010, 10:48:33 PM
I read this crossover, and thought it was okay.... the story wasn't great, and I really didn't like the cursing either. I know that they weren't really bad words, but I was still pretty surprised to see them, especially when Nancy said them. I think when there's cursing in books, it just makes the characters seem...I don't know, immature or something. It's just Nancy and Frank and Joe are supposed to be role models and stuff....

I agree. It really was surprising and weird. I wonder if they're trying to make them seem older since some of us were complaining that they were written really immature before. It's just out of place, though. It doesn't really work :-\

I didn't particularly like this book at first, but I thought it got pretty good in the second half. I liked the action, and when I figured out who it was, I was a little too excited. It's been a long time since I've read any ND/HBs.

SDLagent

Quote from: Olivia on October 03, 2010, 08:03:40 PM
I agree. It really was surprising and weird. I wonder if they're trying to make them seem older since some of us were complaining that they were written really immature before. It's just out of place, though. It doesn't really work :-\

If S&S is trying to make them act more mature...well, most of the immature people I know, swear a lot.

Jokerette

MacGyver

Another note on the swearing issue- I noticed this review for "Gold Medal Murder" on Amazon.com where the reviewer mentions that Simon & Schuster claimed it was an editorial slip and that the swear words would be removed in future printings. (At least for this book- I don't know if that applies for other books where curse words have slipped in.) Now that's interesting- I hadn't heard this. Perhaps S&S realized that they've definitely tarnished The Hardys' and Nancy's images, so they're trying to correct it. I don't know how much truth there is to this story (if any). Anyone else hear anything on this?
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on October 07, 2010, 09:10:25 PM
Another note on the swearing issue- I noticed this review for "Gold Medal Murder" on Amazon.com where the reviewer mentions that Simon & Schuster claimed it was an editorial slip and that the swear words would be removed in future printings. (At least for this book- I don't know if that applies for other books where curse words have slipped in.) Now that's interesting- I hadn't heard this. Perhaps S&S realized that they've definitely tarnished The Hardys' and Nancy's images, so they're trying to correct it. I don't know how much truth there is to this story (if any). Anyone else hear anything on this?

No, it's news to me. This makes a bit more sense, now.

Olivia

Quote from: SDLagent on October 03, 2010, 10:29:52 PM
If S&S is trying to make them act more mature...well, most of the immature people I know, swear a lot.

I guess I'm thinking media content with language like that is normally for an older audience. A lot of older teens and adults swear in media, so I was kind of speculating that they might have been trying to have them seem like older teens instead of kids.

I definitely see your point about the cursing not really being a "mature" factor, though.

From MacGyver's post I see that it's probably an error. But who would write that in the book in the first place? That's a little off.

MacGyver

Either they had a writer who blatantly ignored set guidelines or just assumed it was normal usage language and it slipped in- and then Simon & Schuster caught it and are having to apologize for it. That's my guess.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Olivia

Makes sense. It just feels strange that it really is just random people writing these books. I'm well aware about ghostwriters, but I feel like they put a little more care into it back in the day. Or it was just a different society, I don't know. I'm going into this too much.

hardygirl847

Originally from reading the reviews on this one I didn't even buy it. It just so happens that I received it as a birthday present. So now I do own it. I am definitely interested in reading what words you are all talking about. I am sure I will surprising too.

A ghostwriter that is used to writing those things might be more prone to accidentally insert into into something he or she's writing...even the HBs. A lot of us are sooo desensitized to it, it becomes something we don't even think about.

I'm glad that someone is making an effort to correct this issue since the Hardys' image shouldn't be ruined by one story. ND's either, for that matter.

PRESERVE our classic characters, PLEASE :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)