Hardy Boys Adventures #11 - Showdown at Widow Creek

Started by kosmicdust, April 14, 2015, 11:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Nice! Thanks for the cover art. Right off the bat, it kinda reminded me of the Rough Riding cover (#68 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles), though it's not totally similar of course. It's just the bucking horse that made me think of it mainly.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

kosmicdust

Story blurb:

QuoteThe Wild West hits the East Coast when Rutherford?s Annual Rodeo and Wild West Show arrives in Bayport. Frank and Joe are enjoying the show?s historic reenactments, rodeo events, and even an exhibition of the Rutherford family?s prize-winning horse, Hondo.

When the brothers catch several ranch hands trying to steal Hondo, they manage to stop it. Though very grateful for their intervention, the Rutherford family is now shorthanded for the cattle drive back to their dude ranch! So Chief Olaf ?volunteers? the Hardys to help out.

The brothers? long-dormant horse-riding skills slowly come back to them as they make their way down the quiet rural roads toward the ranch. But as they?re finally getting the hang of it, a group of dirt bike?riding cattle rustlers surround the herd?and take Hondo!

Will the Hardy Boys lasso the horse thieves?or will this be their final showdown?

MacGyver

Interesting- thanks for posting. Two things I noticed- first, why is there a Chief Olaf here? What happened to Chief Collig?
Also, it's interesting to see The Hardy Boys depicted as actually not automatically totally skilled at something. (In the previous books, they've had tons of horseback riding experience, so it's funny to see this book series mentioning it like an old skill they are having to brush up on again.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Chief Collig and Con Riley have not appeared in the series.  Instead we have had bumbling Olaf, first as a Detective in Book 1, then promoted to Chief in Book 2 after the Chief in Book 1 retired (and it wasn't Collig).  Think of Olaf as the Detective Oscar Smuff of this series.

But, is the series already running out of gas?  "Historic Re-enactments"?  I seem to recall that it was only in "Battle Of Bayport" that the Hardy Boys were involved with a historical re-enactment.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Wow! It's always great seeing that cover art enlarged like that. Thanks as always, kosmicdust. :) 8)

QuoteChief Collig and Con Riley have not appeared in the series.  Instead we have had bumbling Olaf, first as a Detective in Book 1, then promoted to Chief in Book 2 after the Chief in Book 1 retired (and it wasn't Collig).  Think of Olaf as the Detective Oscar Smuff of this series.

But, is the series already running out of gas?  "Historic Re-enactments"?  I seem to recall that it was only in "Battle Of Bayport" that the Hardy Boys were involved with a historical re-enactment.
Thanks for the info on that, tomswift2002.
While I like seeing a throwback to good ol' Det. Oscar Smuff, I think I'd rather have just seen Smuff himself show up again rather than a new version. It's a shame that Chief Collig and Con Riley haven't appeared yet- I always enjoyed those characters appearing throughout the original series (and the later paperback Digests) and the Casefiles and graphic novels (well, only Collig appeared here that I recall) and so forth. Did both characters appear in the UB series?
    Oh, well. I guess we have Olaf to deal with now for some reason.
     I have kind of wondered about the series myself too, but it seems to still be chugging along. Still, it's sad to see how much both The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew sections have shrunk at the local bookstores. I got a copy of the most recently released book in the Adventures series, #9 in the series, and it was the only copy on the shelf. I definitely get the impression they are not selling as well anymore (at least not with the physical copies. Maybe they're doing better with eBooks though....)

tomswift2002

Well I just recently found out that non-grocery items are not selling as well in brick-and-mortar stores, but they are selling better online, whereas, at least here in Canada, for groceries people still prefer buying those at the store.

But here in Eastern Ontario the one Coles bookstore (which is part of the Chapters-Indigo chain) has stopped carrying Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew altogether.  I haven't seen even the Grosset & Dunlap books on the shelves in about 18 months (although I do see a few titles at Walmart, but they are only the paperback copies of the first 5 books in the Adventure series and the last 2 or 3 books in the Secret Files).  So I always pre-order my copies and just have them shipped to the store.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

kosmicdust

This looks like nothing more than a reheated version of Rough Riding. Oh well. At least the links in the first post are now working, so get pre-ordering folks!

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on June 10, 2015, 04:49:28 PMDid both characters appear in the UB series?

Yep, both Chief Collig and Con Riley show up in the UB series. 8) And they can show up any time in the Adventures. Olaf is boring, not funny like Smuff, although they're both bumbling.
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Thanks for the confirmation on that, Hardy Sleuth.

Hardy Sleuth

Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)