The Worst Casefiles

Started by Bigfootman, December 03, 2008, 06:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

QuoteI might be the only one but I liked Cave Trap.
You're not the only one. I like Cave Trap too- but then, I like all of them. :D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

MacGyver

and Understanding. What's so funny about it? :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Just recently I was reading that when Simon & Schuster UK reprinted Cave Trap and the other Casefiles for inclusion in the Undercover Brothers series, it was because they were finding that in the Commonwealth countries the sales and demand of the UB's were lower than the Casefiles (Simon & Schuster UK had been reprinting the Casefiles, and even bringing out "New" Casefiles to the UK and Commonwealth market till around 2002; "New" meaning Casefiles that had been printed in the US, but not in the UK), unlike in the US where, apparently, the UB's are in "hot demand".  So, even Cave Trap was one of the worst books the Casefiles series, apparently S&S UK thought that it fit the style of the UB's.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Yeah, that was a strange chapter in Hardy Boys history. I wonder what fans in the UK thought when some books in the new "Undercover Brothers" series were in third person and some were in first person and some had the Hardys working for ATAC and some didn't even mention ATAC and Frank and Joe's personalities were totally different in some books.

tomswift2002

Well, it must not have worked too well, since the last 2 Casefile-reprints were cancelled, and S&S UK stopped printing the series altogether, just relying on imports of the US books.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

hardygirl847

Probably because it was so darn confusing!

And high five, Mac! I like them all too!
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Bigfootman

Quote from: SDLagent on January 19, 2011, 12:12:55 AM
There's been a few Hardys I haven't finished. Cave Trap was one of them.
Most of the Hardy Boys books I haven't finished were not left unfinished because I didn't like them, but because of other reasons. 
List of Hardy Boys books I have yet to finish:
The Haunted Fort- Got bored of reading it by the second or third chapter.
The Arctic Patrol Mystery- Stopped reading after it began to read like a travel guide.
The Pentagon Spy- I don't know why, but every time I try to finish the book, I'm unable to. I plan to finish it, one day.
The Demon's Den- The book was due back at the library, didn't have much of a choice.
The Lazarus Plot- Same reason as The Pentagon Spy.
Terror On Track- Book is missing the first page of Chapter 1 (at least I think that's the only missing page) , and I want to read the entire book. 
The Number File- The book was falling apart, but now that I have a new copy that won't fall apart every time I turn a page, I'll be able to read the book.
Haunted- Stopped reading because the book was awful.
Galaxy X- Stopped reading because the book was due back at the library.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

I remember that when I was younger there were some Hardy Boys and Hardy Boys Casefiles that I stopped reading since (this was in the 90's when I was elementary school) some of the books I found were either dealing with stuff that, as a 9 or 10 year old kid, I wasn't interested in, or I found that the book just too slow for a kid at my age then.  Books such as The Mystery of The Flying Express (1941)  and Revenge of the Desert Phantom.  With Flying Express, even about a year after I first put it down and finished reading it, I found that, as a kid, even though I was interested in trains and that, the author either didn't seem to think that the train was important, or the author was having a very slow day when he wrote the book.  And with Revenge Of The Desert Phantom, I first tried reading it when I was 10 or 11, and I remember that while it was fast-paced then...the story just didn't appeal to my age level; but when I read it a few years later when I was 13 or 14 I really enjoyed it and consider it one of my favorite Digests to this day.

But the 2 Hardy Boys books that I have not been able to finish, because they are so awful and boring are Undercover Brothers #18 Pushed and the Super Mystery'07 #4 Gold Medal Murder.   With Pushed, the bookmark's still at the beginning of Chapter 6, where I left it...3 or 4 years ago (I started reading the book shortly after it first came out and I soon put it down for other books) and Gold Medal Murder has the book mark right around the same place.

MacGyver

Of course, I would still recommend all of The Hardy Boys books- but I think you would particularly enjoy finishing these-
QuoteThe Pentagon Spy- I don't know why, but every time I try to finish the book, I'm unable to. I plan to finish it, one day.
The Demon's Den- The book was due back at the library, didn't have much of a choice.
The Lazarus Plot- Same reason as The Pentagon Spy.
Terror On Track- Book is missing the first page of Chapter 1 (at least I think that's the only missing page) , and I want to read the entire book. 
The Number File- The book was falling apart, but now that I have a new copy that won't fall apart every time I turn a page, I'll be able to read the book.
All very much worth the read. And I can't really speak for those Undercover Brothers books since I haven't read them yet myself.
But the Originals are all worth it, at least to me. I guess it depends on your particular tastes, but I think The Haunted Fort is pretty good. And once you get past the informational part about the North Pole, The Arctic Patrol Mystery does pick up in the action.

MacGyver

You all might find this funny. I happened to stop in a used book store the other day- and I was checking out their somewhat scant selection of Hardy Boys books. (I did find some of the Original Text books for a good price though- so it was definitely worth it for that.)
But I only saw two of the Casefiles- one was a fairly beat-up ex-library copy of The Dead Season and the other one looked almost brand new. And wouldn't you know it? It was none other than good ol' Cave Trap ;D
I don't normally bother with picking up Casefiles anymore since I have the whole series at this point, but I picked up this book to have the normal printing version. (The other copy I have is a Dollar General reprint version. It's not really much different from any of the normal printings except that it has a red "Dollar General" symbol in the top right hand corner. It's kind of a neat collectible, but nothing to get that excited about.)

tomswift2002

The Casefiles don't usually turn up in used book stores, from what I've seen.  Or if they do, you tend to get a lot of the same number like 1 or 45.

SDLagent

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on January 30, 2011, 01:07:15 PM
Most of the Hardy Boys books I haven't finished were not left unfinished because I didn't like them, but because of other reasons.

You may not have not liked them but can't have liked them that much, either. If you really liked them you wouldn't have lost interest in them.

Quote from: tomswift2002 on January 31, 2011, 06:29:40 PM
The Casefiles don't usually turn up in used book stores, from what I've seen.  Or if they do, you tend to get a lot of the same number like 1 or 45.

Yeah, I almost never see them.