June 2013 Book Club: High Stakes (Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys SuperMystery'88)

Started by tomswift2002, July 02, 2013, 07:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Post your reviews here for "High Stakes" from the Nancy Drew And Hardy Boys SuperMystery'88 series.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I just read High Stakes recently, about a month or so ahead of our scheduled time to review it, so it worked out pretty well. As always, I love how Nancy Drew's and Frank and Joe Hardy's cases are interwoven together. (Granted, this doesn't happen in every book, but it did work out pretty well for this one.) The plot was interesting and definitely had me guessing on the villian- though I did pick up on a few things along the way. I've noticed too that this is another case where The Hardys had been hired to provide protection for Goldenrod and they just happened to meet Nancy and her friends there who were just there on vacation. (Of course, even "on vacation", Nancy quickly finds a mystery to solve. As do The Hardy Boys.) But it seems that there more often I see in these books that either both Frank and Joe and Nancy have been hired for either the same thing or different things- or The Hardys have been hired for a case and Nancy's on vacation- but it seems rare to see Nancy hired on a case and Frank and Joe just there for vacation at the same time. Maybe it's happened at some point- I just don't remember such a book right now.
         Anyway, I think there was a good level of action and a bit of international intrigue going on in this book and I enjoyed it. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I just posted this since I saw that Dinosaur Dan had not yet posted the June thread.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Yeah, that's cool- nice to finally get this book covered anyway.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"