Goodbye UBs?

Started by Bigfootman, May 18, 2009, 04:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfootman

Look at this qoute:
"I believe this Undercover Brothers paperback is going to be one of the last ones, March 2010 is the kill date for the series."
? Paul Mular, refering to Private Killer
Seems like the UBs are on their last legs.

Prepare to say your heart felt goodbyes to the series March 2010, if the sereis really ends. (Prepares party, and grabs party hats)

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on May 18, 2009, 04:51:42 PM
Look at this qoute:
"I believe this Undercover Brothers paperback is going to be one of the last ones, March 2010 is the kill date for the series."
? Paul Mular, refering to Private Killer
Seems like the UBs are on their last legs.

Prepare to say your heart felt goodbyes to the series March 2010, if the sereis really ends. (Prepares party, and grabs party hats)

Ha ha, you're hilarious. ::) The series will eventually end, duh.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

tomswift2002

Well, Paul has also revealed that the final title in the series now will be #33 The Killer Connection that will finish the Killer trilogy. 

But there has also been another series announced to retail store ordering executives for April 2010, but it looks like this series will be closer to the old Clues Brothers series, since the books are being listed at $4.99 USD, compared to the $5.99 USD price for the 2010 UB books.  Plus the two titles that have slipped through so far are Trouble At The Arcade & Missing Mitt.  Plus with titles like that most people are thinking the books will be aimed at Grades 1 & 2.

Oh, and the series is tentatively titled to be The Hardy Boys: Secret Files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hardy_Boys_books#The_Hardy_Boys_Secret_Files_.28beginning_2010.29
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

JoeHardyRocks

Wow... Why do we need another Clues Brothers series?
"Thank you, Joe."

tomswift2002

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on May 18, 2009, 10:03:14 PM

I don't know.  Maybe S&S is trying to make money on a prequel series to the UB's, even though the prequel series to the original/Casefiles series was cancelled after 3 years and 17 books.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

SDLagent

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on May 18, 2009, 10:03:14 PM

We don't.

Olivia

How ironic - the Killer Mission killed the series. Okay, the trilogy didn?t per say, but you know what I mean.

Another younger HBs series? Blah. One of us should start a publishing company and buy the rights.

Will the GNs keep going?

And will some of us disappear from this board? :'( (I guess there's still discussion for the Casefiles).

Do you think the HB:UBs books will be worth something someday (because of its short run)?

Lots of questions to think about lol.

And I wonder about one member's reaction in particular. Ha. I think you all know "who" I mean.

tomswift2002

From what I've found out, along with others such as Paul Mular that I have been talking to, Papercutz is still going along with their plans to continue the graphic novel line.

So, for right now, until more is known for sure, it looks like the Undercover Brothers line is going to be getting the axe after #33 Killer Connection, but the Graphic Novels will go on.  As Jim Salicrup said in one of his blogs on the Papercutz website, they are working on stories right now that won't be out till 2010.

JoeHardyRocks

I'd like it if they kept the GNs.
"Thank you, Joe."

003Robin457

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 20, 2009, 06:25:44 PM
From what I've found out, along with others such as Paul Mular that I have been talking to, Papercutz is still going along with their plans to continue the graphic novel line.

So, for right now, until more is known for sure, it looks like the Undercover Brothers line is going to be getting the axe after #33 Killer Connection, but the Graphic Novels will go on.  As Jim Salicrup said in one of his blogs on the Papercutz website, they are working on stories right now that won't be out till 2010.
Yeah the Teen Titans comic based on the show lasted years after the show ended, so there is hope.

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 18, 2009, 09:52:34 PM
Well, Paul has also revealed that the final title in the series now will be #33 The Killer Connection that will finish the Killer trilogy. 

But there has also been another series announced to retail store ordering executives for April 2010, but it looks like this series will be closer to the old Clues Brothers series, since the books are being listed at $4.99 USD, compared to the $5.99 USD price for the 2010 UB books.  Plus the two titles that have slipped through so far are Trouble At The Arcade & Missing Mitt.  Plus with titles like that most people are thinking the books will be aimed at Grades 1 & 2.

Oh, and the series is tentatively titled to be The Hardy Boys: Secret Files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hardy_Boys_books#The_Hardy_Boys_Secret_Files_.28beginning_2010.29
A young HB by its self? Thats odd. Theres got to be a normal level seris.
PS. What about Nancy Drew GD?

003Robin457

Oh yeah.
The Hardy Boys: Case Secret Files. :-\

SDLagent

Quote from: Rainbows & Lollipops on May 20, 2009, 01:26:17 PM
How ironic - the Killer Mission killed the series. Okay, the trilogy didn?t per say, but you know what I mean.

Yeah, sort of like how the Casefiles ended with Dead in the Water.

Quote from: 003Robin457 on May 20, 2009, 10:12:32 PM
Yeah the Teen Titans comic based on the show lasted years after the show ended, so there is hope.
A young HB by its self? Thats odd. Theres got to be a normal level seris.
PS. What about Nancy Drew GD?

From what I know, the Nancy Drew: Girl Detective franchise will not at all be effected by the death of it's brother. Although the current ND/HB crossover will probably end - we should know soon.

SDLagent

As said above, it looks like the Graphic Novels will likely continue, and is this is true my question is, will the end of the UB series from S&S give Scott Lobdell more freedom with his series?

A few months ago Lobdell said this in reply to a question I posted on the Papercutz blog:

QuoteUnfortunately there are things that I can?t do anything in the Graphic Novel series that would contradict what is being done in the novel series. (Like, if I wanted to send Aunt Trudy off to war? Or reveal that Fenton is actually a clone from an alternate reality? Those would be big no nos!)

While the Hardy Boys are definitely NOT super heroes, look at people like Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne who have had to protect their loved ones from the scarier side of their adventures. That is, I don?t think Fenton, Joe or Frank actually enjoy keeping the rest of the family in the dark, but I can see why they would.

But who knows, maybe there will come a time when I?m given the go ahead to tell that story in the future.

Is this the time? Lets hope so! Maybe for the first time in the 82 year history of The Hardy Boys, a Hardy writer will finally be able to do what they want. Who knows what could happen?

003Robin457

Yeah Teen Titans (see last post) got way mor freedom after the show's death.

Quote from: SDLagent on May 21, 2009, 03:02:52 AM
From what I know, the Nancy Drew: Girl Detective franchise will not at all be effected by the death of it's brother. Although the current ND/HB crossover will probably end - we should know soon.
What if Secret Files is some sort of reboot and we see a Nancy Drew: Girl Detective and Hardy Boys: Secret Files Super Mystery.

Olivia

Here?s a thought: Do a little research. Talk to fans. Compromise. Even having a more "grown-up" series would mean older readers would like it & younger readers would still be able to read it. Expand your audience.

Or keep the ATAC premise, but just improve the depiction of characters (bump them up to 3-dimensional) and tie together more complex plots with decent writing (it doesn't have to be simplistic like we're watching a sitcom). However, sometimes improvement can come too late.

Unfortunately, a new person will read a UB & their bad impression will turn them off for good (because even if the books improve, how would they know that?).

It's important to listen to feedback: we are your customers. Hello, look at the success of the GNs. Why can't we contact you?

So the problem is the sales. Where does this stem from?

1. The series not being up to par?
2. The old stereotype where guys don't read as much as girls (thus, ND still selling well because of "girls"/getting it as gifts & because the writing is good)?
3. Possible overall drop in book sales?

Even if they come out with a new amazing series, not everyone is going to jump on the bandwagon after everything. If it really is a very young HBs series, that?s the death of it (to me). And it looks like it from Wikipedia?s titles: Trouble at the Arcade and Missing Mitt. The GNs count, but they?re not the paperback books.

The bright side to me is that I can concentrate on all the other HBs series, I guess.