December 2013 Book Club: One False Step (Hardy Boys Mystery #189)

Started by Hardy Sleuth, December 08, 2013, 08:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Sleuth

As promised, here's the topic thread for the review/discussion of one of my favorites, One False Step, the 189th book of the Hardy Boys Mysteries. 8) A lot of cool action and edge of your seat stuff in the mystery. I'll be back with my review of the book soon. Feel free to comment below with your thoughts on this action-packed book. 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

The Hardy Boys really toe the line with this case! It's a pretty daring gang of thieves Frank and Joe face off against in this book. And while a circus act was the basis for the crimes, if I recall correctly, the book still seems pretty relevant in another way today- given the rise of the popularity of slacklining.
That element alone made it memorable for me- and it's also the next-to-last book in the original Hardy Boys series. And the series still delivered good and fun reads all the way through the whole series. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Lol, you're not kidding when you say they had to toe the line with this one, MacGyver! ;)

Review: I really wanted to read One False Step and had been searching for it. Then I finally got to read it and it's got some way cool stuff in it! 8) Great action! Edge of your seat and edge of a high-wire, too!!! The Hardys do great investigating the very curious, mysterious case of how thieves were breaking in and robbing high-rises/penthouses via the balconies in different states. Cool figuring it out with them. 8) First guessed how they were pulling it off then to identify those behind it took some big risks by Frank and Joe. 8)

The act that they went to see was very exciting. In a huge outdoor stadium, two helicopters hover and on a wire that is attached to each one, the performers not only walk on the wire, which would be difficult enough, but they also do tricks such as flips. Plus there are trapezes on the bottom for tricks also. 8) It's a daring and dangerous act. The pilots have to be really talented and accurate, too. 8)

At the beginning of the book we get to see Frank's girlfriend Callie and Joe's girlfriend Iola are there. 8) They weren't able to go to Philly with Frank and Joe to see the act but Tony and Chet, along with a new friend named Matt, who moved in next door to the Hardys with his mom, all went to check out Aerocirque. Matt was the one who first told them about the act.

Also Frank and Joe's parents' Fenton and Laura, and their Aunt Gertrude are all in the book. One part I especially like is when Frank and Joe want to talk with their dad and he said he always has time for them. I think that's cool. My dad's like that, too. :) So is my mom. :) My whole family is actually. :) I'm very thankful. 8)

Frank and Joe had to avoid getting killed, which wasn't easy, especially considering those out to get them were willing to murder to keep from being found out and had the means to do so. The Hardys were literally one step away from catastrophe more than once during the case. I like that even with the excitement of the acrobatic act, the Hardys were even more interested in solving the mystery. 8)

Not going to say who the culprits were, but some of that was sad/upsetting, considering everyone and the circumstances. :( If you've read it, you know what I mean.

I'd definitely say this mystery's thrilling and exciting. I can really see how this would make a great action flick! :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

QuoteAlso Frank and Joe's parents' Fenton and Laura, and their Aunt Gertrude are all in the book. One part I especially like is when Frank and Joe want to talk with their dad and he said he always has time for them. I think that's cool. My dad's like that, too.  So is my mom.  My whole family is actually.  I'm very thankful.
I LOVE this! :) 8) I'm thankful for that with my mother and father too- and of course, my Heavenly Father.  :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth