Graphic Novels Done?

Started by SkyWarp, May 03, 2011, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

I am starting to get worried about the future of the Hardy Boys graphic novels.  The Fall product catalog is out for Papercutz and there is abolutely nothing about any new Hardy Boys Graphic novels. 

So other than the Nancy Drew Graphic Novel that includes the Hardy Boys, there is nothing on the horizon in seeing our teen detectives in hand-drawn format from Papercutz. 

SDLagent

Hopefully not! But it doesn't like good. It would be pretty surprising considering they just relaunched the series.

MacGyver

Either Papercutz is getting really busy with promoting Smurfs comics for the movie and acquiring new properties like the comics based on The Garfield Show and still have big things coming for The Hardy Boys- or your concerns may well be valid. I thought the gap between the 2nd. issue of The Hardy Boys: The New Casefiles and the third issue of Nancy Drew: The New Casefiles was pretty suspicious myself. Technically, it will be 3 Nancy Drew comics out in the new series, but still only 2 for The Hardy Boys. Who knows? I guess we'll find out more after August's release.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SkyWarp

Official Papercutz reply from Michael Petr?nek....

QuoteRight now we have not announced the next volumes of THE HARDY BOYS The New Case Files or NANCY DREW The New Case Files but we do plan on having more volumes of these series, we just haven't announced when yet. We still love NANCY DREW and THE HARDY BOYS and are not abandoning the series.

Good to know that the series is not cancelled.  No word on when the next one will be announced though.

MacGyver

Thanks for checking into that, Skywarp. Yes, that is reassuring to know. I guess it will just be a waiting game then.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Good to know. But I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

hardygirl847

I don't see how they are generating enough money to keep it going.  They have ZERO copies at the nearby bookstores I go to here in IL. It's really sad. I pre-ordered Together with the Hardys because I knew it wouldn't be on the shelves. I got an AMAZING deal on it...but still...people who would pick it up by chance won't have the opportunity to because it's not around as much.

Either way, I am hoping for more. Get the boys back together and go from there. They CANNOT have such a huge issue like that and then drop the series.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed all will work out. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Yeah, wouldn't that be crazy if the series ended before the boys "got back together"?

There's always a few in the bookshops here but I think it's more common to have your problem.

MacGyver

I'm still psyched that my local Barnes & Noble has started carrying The Hardy Boys: The New Casefiles graphic novel series again- as well as the Nancy Drew: The New Casefiles graphic novels. And they're back at Books-A-Million. For the last few titles of the graphic novel, I was having to order them from Amazon.com and I'd just as soon get them in person at the store if I can rather than have to wait for them to come in the mail...

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on June 14, 2011, 06:33:01 PM
Yeah, wouldn't that be crazy if the series ended before the boys "got back together"?

There's always a few in the bookshops here but I think it's more common to have your problem.

That would be horribly crazy! First of all, I didn't feel like they were totally breaking up in the Break Up one but I'm sure it's going to get worse before it gets better in the Together With the Hardys story. So they need to wrap that up before deciding on a new direction or canceling.

Putting them out there more would make more sense....right?!

Quote from: MacGyver on June 14, 2011, 07:43:55 PM
I'm still psyched that my local Barnes & Noble has started carrying The Hardy Boys: The New Casefiles graphic novel series again- as well as the Nancy Drew: The New Casefiles graphic novels. And they're back at Books-A-Million. For the last few titles of the graphic novel, I was having to order them from Amazon.com and I'd just as soon get them in person at the store if I can rather than have to wait for them to come in the mail...

Truthfully I don't spend a lot of  time at B & N because they do have a bit more HBs than other stores, I don't get good deals there. Once in awhile I will go there just to pick up something new I haven't seen at the other usual spots...but then I'm paying more too. I dunno...I still think it's a shame that more people can't be "new" readers to the series because of the lack of newer books. I think the one store I go to a lot has stopped adding Ubs in there too.

I don't think I have a nearby BAM...so no luck on that one. I'm glad they're returning to places near you.

I just hope more good news is released in relation to the series.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SkyWarp

The Winter 2012 Papercutz Catalog is now out and there is no mention of any new Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew graphic novels. 

Although the last word from Papercutz is that these are not cancelled, I am beginning to think that they may be end up simply dissappearing.  Papercutz is extremely busy with a lot of other titles now and I just can't see them jumping back into these books after such a long hiatus.  I fear there would have to be a huge change or shake up on these titles now to get them to come back. 

MacGyver

I was kind of starting to get the sense that it was heading toward this....
I guess we can't officially technically say that either the Nancy Drew or The Hardy Boys titles are cancelled, but it sure looks like they might be. The long hiatus between the last few issues of either title already had me wondering, not to mention ending one series and starting another. Well, I guess we'll just have to see what happens- I'm sure Papercutz would probably issue a statement eventually if either series was cancelled. And if that is the case, then at least we got to have some sort of wrap-up to this storyline with this latest Nancy Drew graphic novel along with the milestone of having Nancy Drew meet The Hardy Boys in a comic book format.

SkyWarp

I got official word from Papercutz again on this issue. 

Quote...there will not be any new graphic novels in the series until Fall 2012 at the earliest. -- Michael Petranek

MacGyver

Wow- so at least a year's wait for any new graphic novels then...(I assume that's for both The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew)
Well, at least they're not cancelled though- thanks for getting the official word.

SDLagent

Now it's looking like the "New Case Files" were a last ditch-attempt to make the series work.