The Hardy Boys on The Mickey Mouse Club

Started by MacGyver, December 15, 2010, 12:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I also found Volume 4 of The Mickey Mouse Club VHS releases from the early '90s at a thrift store a few months back. It was a nice find, but it still just has the same introduction to The Mystery of Ghost Farm that's on The Best of the Mickey Mouse Club DVD. Now if I can just find Volume 10 of the VHS releases, I'd have the first chapter of the serial as well. Better yet, if Disney would actually release the entire serial to DVD, then I could enjoy it in its entirety.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Judah-Ben-Hur

I'm doing a review on the first serial (which to be honest, has been rather difficult getting through----and I'm one to watch silent films), I've got both the original text, revised text and the DVD set, is there anything else I need to double check on? I'm not aware of any books on the Disney adaptation, and have personally only seen it mentioned in passing in MMC books.
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.~ Joshua 1:9

MacGyver

Well, keep in mind that the first serial ran in 1956 and therefore it is definitely based on the original text version of The Tower Treasure since the revisions didn't start until 1959. Still, it doesn't hurt to have the revised text on hand just for comparison's sake. If you want to do any further research on The Mickey Mouse Club and The Hardy Boys serials from that show, I would recommend this site. It has a page listing a number of books that were released about the show and those might be work checking out at the library for further research. (Though I don't think any of them are specifically just about The Hardy Boys portion of the show- though they may well have chapters on it or something.) Also, there was a comic book adaptation of The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure released, some of the pages of which you can see at this portion of that site.
    Other than that, I know that one of The Hardy Boys PC video games is based on The Tower Treasure (presumably the revised text version), although it's modified to fit the Undercover Brothers universe and that would be The Hidden Theft. (Unfortunately, to be based on that book, Frank and Joe are not modeled after Tim Considine and Tommy Kirk, like they are in the second game- The Perfect Crime. It would have been nice if the video game based on the original book in the series had used the likenesses of the ones who had done the first adaptation of the book on the Disney serial.)
          Thanks for doing a review on the serial! We definitely appreciate everyone's insights on all aspects of The Hardy Boys. As an equivalent of the Book Club we've done for the last few years, I started up a TV Show/Media Club to review all the various appearances of The Hardy Boys (and Nancy Drew, since they crossover with her in places). It'd be great if you could post your review in the thread for The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure here. Thanks! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. I really enjoyed watching the serial myself when I finally got to see it when I got the DVD a few years ago. It's been a while since I've watched it, but I think it's fun. When I get some time, maybe I'll watch it again.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Judah-Ben-Hur

Thanks for the source! Work has only "Happy 50th Mickey Mouse!" which has some publicity photos of the boys and Applegate, and the A to Z Disney encyclopedia. I'll try an interlibrary loan, but it may be a a while before it comes in. The review is for a site I help run, so I can happily post a link to it when it's published, my current agreement keeps me from posting it here, since It's an exclusive.
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.~ Joshua 1:9

MacGyver

Oh wow- very cool. Well, definitely post the link when you can then. :) 8)
And for the sources, no problem! Ha! (As ALF would say.) ;D

MacGyver

I just found this on Flickr, but I don't know that it actually is what I'm thinking it is.

According to the site, this is an "original vintage illustration for Walt Disney Magazine, 1950s. Gouache on Board. Artist: Herb Ryman".
It says it is an illustration of The Hardy Boys and perhaps this is true- I can't confirm this for sure. Even if it isn't, it's still a cool, vintage artwork piece. :) 8)

MacGyver

I also found this picture that shows some a bit of the gameboard for The Hardy Boys Treasure Game, a board game that was released in the late '50s in conjunction with The Hardy Boys serials running on The Mickey Mouse Club- the early versions of the game cover used the likenesses of Tim Considine and Tommy Kirk, but after the show had ended, eventually the game cover was changed so that The Hardy Boys were represented as generic characters, rather than in their previous portrayers' likenesses.

MacGyver

MacGyver

There's the vinyl 6 inch 78 RPM record from The Mickey Mouse Club with the Gold Doubloons and Pieces of Eight song from the first Hardy Boys serial- The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure. :) 8)

Judah-Ben-Hur

I didn't realize that had it's own release! I knew it had been released as part of
'Songs from The Mickey Mouse Club', but no where else had I ever heard of it by itself! Also that board game's redesigned faces is a lark, they now look extremely funny like the boys had been sniffing paint.

MacGyver

Yeah, I've noticed a similar phenomenon on the cover for The Hardy Boys board game based on the cartoon series. ;D

MacGyver

Here's a look at the gameboard for The Hardy Boys Treasure Game- originally released in conjunction with the Hardy Boys serials on The Mickey Mouse Club- it looks like this is the later rerelease version that changed the looks of Frank and Joe on the game box so that they didn't resemble Tim Considine and Tommy Kirk anymore.

MacGyver

From what I could tell through squinting at the instructions and gameboard there, this game seems to be based on The Tower Treasure, which makes sense since The Mystery of Applegate Treasure was also based on this book.

MacGyver

Here's a picture of the version of The Hardy Boys Treasure Game that was released utilizing the likenesses of Tim Considine and Tommy Kirk as Frank and Joe Hardy. (This was released in 1957. I believe the revised version was released in 1959.)

MacGyver