TV show episode discussion club?

Started by MacGyver, November 08, 2011, 07:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeHardyRocks

Is the discussion club only for hardy boys episodes?
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

It's for any media appearance of The Hardy Boys, including the two serials on The Mickey Mouse Club (The Mystery of Applegate Treasure and The Mystery of Ghost Farm), the 1967 pilot The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk, the 1969-1971 The Hardy Boys cartoon series, the 1977-1979 The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, and the 1995 The Hardy Boys series. We covered the 1967 pilot in the first month this started (November 2011) and then went on to the first Disney serial for December 2011 (since that's the only one released on DVD thus far). And for the next few months, we're covering the '90s Hardy Boys TV show. We may branch out to include the 1995 Nancy Drew show as well, especially since the show crossed over with the '90s Hardy Boys show. Beyond that, we'll probably just do the '70s live action series and then from there, the options are pretty limited, since some things are not readily available...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Okay- well, since I haven't heard from anyone else, I guess I'll go ahead and post the thread for this next week's episode too.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Well, we are moving through The Hardy Boys (1990s show) pretty well. In another 4 weeks, we'll finish reviewing the episodes of the whole series. (There are only 13 episodes after all.) So that means we'd start in on something else for April. I'll keep posting the threads for the rest of the '90s Hardy Boys show through then. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do for April? I'm thinking I'd like to keep going with this continuity and go ahead and do the 1990s Nancy Drew show (since it is a sister series after all and Nancy Drew did cross over with The Hardy Boys in this continuity too). That would take us through to about July or so. We could start in on the '70s series from there probably. If anyone has any preferences on this, let me know. If I don't hear anything otherwise, I'll probably move forward with this plan then (and I guess we'll be posting out of the Nancy Drew forum for a while for The TV Show/Media Club during that time too.)

MacGyver

Okay- look for review threads for the 1995 Nancy Drew TV series in the Nancy Drew forum for the next media production for review. :)

MacGyver

Okay, well we are almost wrapped up with the 1990s Nancy Drew show. So at this point, we have done threads to cover The Mickey Mouse Club serial that ran in the 1950s, The Mystery of Applegate Treasure, which is basically an adaptation of the first Hardy Boys book, The Tower Treasure. We have also covered the 1967 pilot, The Mystery of the Chinese Junk. We have covered the 1990s series, The Hardy Boys. And two weeks from today, we will have covered the 1990s version of Nancy Drew as well.
     I personally like the Nancy Drew productions alongside The Hardy Boys and wouldn't mind covering the rest of them. This would include the 4 Nancy Drew movies from the 1930s, the 2002 Nancy Drew pilot and the 2007 Nancy Drew movie.
For The Hardy Boys side, I'd still like to review The Mystery of Ghost Farm- the other serial from The Mickey Mouse Club, but unfortunately it has not been released officially in its entirety. I would still like to be able to view this at some point. And the same applies for The Hardy Boys cartoon- I'd love to see this in its entirety at some point too, if it were ever to get released on DVD.
And of course, I've kinda been saving one of the most beloved media versions of both The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew- that being the classic 1970s The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries. So I guess the question now is- does anyone want to review the other Nancy Drew productions first? We can dedicate the month of July to covering all those movies at once, or break it up into separate threads, perhaps covering the '30s movies in the month of July and compare the 2002 pilot and 2007 movie versions in August. And then we could start in on the '70s series in the fall. Or we can just dive straight into the '70s series. (Which may only cover the first 2 seasons as those are the only ones currently released to DVD. Hopefully the third season will still be released eventually. We can still cover the 3rd. Season episodes in review for those who have been able to see them though.)
       Anyway, for anyone interested on this, let me know which you prefer. If I don't hear something by the time July rolls around, I think I probably will go with the former plan I suggested above.

tomswift2002

Well the 2002 pilot hasn't been released on DVD yet.  So far it has only been aird on TV (the only way that I have it is that I recorded it from TV).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Well, that's true. I have a copy recorded from TV as well. Of course, someone has posted it on Youtube, so fans can watch it readily enough on there for the moment...

MacGyver

Okay- August will be here in a day, so I will plan to post a new thread soon for discussion of the 2002 Nancy Drew pilot and the 2007 Nancy Drew movie. It should be interesting to compare these more modern day versions of Nancy Drew with the 1930s movies version. And after that, we'll plan to cover The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries in the fall! :) 8)

MacGyver

Well, we have a few more days of August and then it will be September by the end of the week! We've covered most everything else that is available to cover in these reviews- (unfortunately, some things have still not made their way to DVD- namely, The Mystery of Ghost Farm Hardy Boys serial from The Mickey Mouse Club, the 1967 pilot, The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk, The Hardy Boys cartoon series, the 2002 Nancy Drew pilot, the 1983 The Tom Swift and Linda Craig Mystery Hour pilot, and of course, season 3 of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries. I'd love to see all of these get released to DVD some time soon.)
     So starting next week, right after Labor Day, we'll start covering Season 1 of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries. Yay!!!! I've been really excited for this one. I love all the various media incarnations of The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, but this series is definitely one of my favorites. There are 14 episodes in Season 1, so my question now is, "How do we want to cover this?"
We could talk collectively about Season 1 for the entire month, but I think it might run better to have a week dedicated for each episode. If we do it that way, that will carry us all the way to the first week in December. We can move on to Season 2 from there, which has 22 episodes. And that will carry us all the way to the first full week in May 2013. And if we wanted to cover Season 3 despite it not being released to DVD yet, for those who have been able to watch the episodes in the original run or in reruns, etc.- we could move forward with that and wind up the whole series in the middle of July 2013 or so.
       If anyone has any comments on this or any other ideas, please let me know in the thread. Otherwise, if I don't hear anything different, I'll plan to post a new thread somewhere either during or right after Labor Day weekend, for Season 1 episodes of THBNDM, starting with the pilot episode for The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries series, "The Mystery of the Haunted House" (featuring The Hardy Boys). :) 8)

Olivia

MacGyver

Cool- thanks for the input, Olivia. :) 8)

tomswift2002

You also forgot the 1960 Hardy Boys pilot as not having hit DVD yet.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Thanks for the reminder- can't believe I remembered the Tom Swift/Linda Craig pilot but forgot the '60s Hardy Boys pilot- well, that's corrected now in my original post.

MacGyver

Well, as announced on TVshowsonDVD.com, we have recently heard the exciting news that the 3rd. Season of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries will finally be released on February 12, 2013!!!
      That will fit pretty well into our projected timeline for reviewing the whole series. I know not every fan will be able to get this release as soon as it comes out, but hopefully everyone would have a chance to get it by May 2013 (which is when we should be scheduled to start in on Season 3 reviews.) I imagine we may have a separate thread for reviewing Season 3 when it releases in the "General Discussion" area, but I would still like to continue with dedicated, in-depth reviews of each episode and stay on track with the schedule already in place. (I'm sadly behind on that right now, but trying to catch up.) I trust that is cool with everyone.