The age of Callie Shaw

Started by SkyWarp, March 20, 2010, 05:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

I found something interesting today while reading Casefile #8.  According to Page 35, Callie is only 17 years old.  I was certain she was 18 throughout most of the series and of course we know she has a birthday in 126 (thus making her 19). 

Does anyone recall that it was mentioned PRIOR to Casefile #8 that she is 18 years old?  A book number and page number for reference would be ideal.

A book number and page number reference to her being 18 AFTER casefile #8 would also be very helpful. 

MacGyver

Interesting- I will have to look out for that one. When I first saw the thread's title, I wasn't thinking literally in terms of how old Callie Shaw is. I just saw it as the Age of Callie Shaw- like how she became a dominating force in the Hardy Boys Casefiles or something- lol. (Which she kinda did become bigger there for a while actually.) :D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I can only remember the Casefile #8 reference. Didn't see just get her driver's license, recently?

tomswift2002

Well in Dead On Target (Chapter 11) Callie has her own car and driver's licence, so it wouldn't make sense that she wouldn't have her licence before See No Evil
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SkyWarp

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 21, 2010, 01:52:04 PM
Well in Dead On Target (Chapter 11) Callie has her own car and driver's licence, so it wouldn't make sense that she wouldn't have her licence before See No Evil.

The wording in #8, gives the impression she already had a license, but not a "full" license.  I'm not sure what that means (could mean anything really), but having to wait till one is 18 is also strange to me if it means learner's permit versus driver's license. 

hardygirl847

Frank and Joe are eternally 18 and 17.... They never grow older. :) But for Callie, I always thought she was 18 because she is dating Frank. I do remember reading that in #8 though but don't remember it being referenced more than that and anything else was determined by using context clues.

Gosh I need to get back into my Casefile collection. I've been reading more originals and digests lately.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: SkyWarp on March 21, 2010, 02:14:20 PM
The wording in #8, gives the impression she already had a license, but not a "full" license.  I'm not sure what that means (could mean anything really), but having to wait till one is 18 is also strange to me if it means learner's permit versus driver's license. 

Even still, as far as I know, in most States and Provinces if you have a learner's permit/G1 licence then you need to have a person with 4+ years experience driving with you at all times.  So if Callie was just getting her full licence in #8, then that doesn't explain how she could be  driving in #1 Dead On Target without her parents.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

hardygirl847

This may be true but what were the laws when the story was written? Also, I bet the writers took a few liberties on this one anyways. They bypass a lot of realistic elements.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SkyWarp

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 21, 2010, 06:29:35 PM
Even still, as far as I know, in most States and Provinces if you have a learner's permit/G1 licence then you need to have a person with 4+ years experience driving with you at all times.  So if Callie was just getting her full licence in #8, then that doesn't explain how she could be  driving in #1 Dead On Target without her parents.

I had the same thoughts.

Perhaps though it is not s learners permit she has, but a student permit.  I think some states allow you to drive by yourself but only to certain places or at certain times of the day. 

(my guess is there is editors error in #8, but I am just trying to figure out a way to squeeze this one in and win my marvel no-prize).

NZone

In most states, you can get a permit that allows you to drive unaccompanied between 6 am and midnight at age 16. Once you have a year with that you can get your full license. No editors error there.
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.