The boys in pop culture

Started by SDLagent, December 07, 2009, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

On Married With Children, Al, Bud and Kelly find Peggy unconscious on the floor. Bud and Kelly piece together the clues. They see that Peggy fell and hit her head. Al says, "Listen Nancy Drool and Hardly Boy. It's impossible for your mother to fall down because she'd have to get up."

MacGyver

Haha- thanks for the Hardy Boys reference, Scott. And welcome to the forums. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

lol but I don't like when people put them down by calling them that! Hardly?? What?? Do these people know how much Frank and Joe do??
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

It's just so easy to do. That and "Party Boys".

MacGyver

Well, in the Married...with Children episode, Al was putting down Bud and Kelly more so than The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.
And since SDLAgent mentioned "Party Boys"- for the longest time, I thought The Bangles' Walk Like An Egyptian mentioned The Hardy Boys toward the end of the song until I realized that the lyrics were "The party boys call the Kremlin".
You can see my misheard lyrics in my little quote thing on my profile. ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Party boys doesn't have a direct link to Hardy Boys. Hard-LY boys is way too close for it not to be about Hardy Boys. Al might not have been put thing them down, but it's been usually a way to put them down in other things as well.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Just ran across this from TIME Magazine, listing their Top 10 kids' book series that they treasure from their youth and would like to see have a resurgence. I was pleased to see a great British series make it to the list- Biggles. (Though it would have been great to see some Enid Blyton on there too- The Famous Five and The Secret Seven are classic! But they did acknowledge that they would need a separate list to really do British series justice.) Anyway- though I didn't see Encylopedia Brown or The Three Investigators on the list- it was nice seeing some other classic children's book series- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, The Boxcar Children, The Baby-sitters Club and others. And of course, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys made the list. :)
I'll let you all look at the link to see the listings and rankings. 8)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on June 20, 2011, 12:06:10 PM
Just ran across this from TIME Magazine, listing their Top 10 kids' book series that they treasure from their youth and would like to see have a resurgence. I was pleased to see a great British series make it to the list- Biggles. (Though it would have been great to see some Enid Blyton on there too- The Famous Five and The Secret Seven are classic! But they did acknowledge that they would need a separate list to really do British series justice.) Anyway- though I didn't see Encylopedia Brown or The Three Investigators on the list- it was nice seeing some other classic children's book series- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, The Boxcar Children, The Baby-sitters Club and others. And of course, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys made the list. :)
I'll let you all look at the link to see the listings and rankings. 8)

Nice. 8)

MacGyver

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xo1/1387372722/

Not sure what this is from, but looked interesting. Someone's got the endsheet paper of The Secret of Wildcat Swamp as wallpaper. Random.

SDLagent

Nice find. That endsheet was actually used for most of the original text books. It looks pretty chill as wallpaper. It looks like they've also got pictures of boys on the wall but maybe not Hardy boys.

MacGyver

Yeah- I think I probably would've been pretty stoked about Hardy Boys wallpaper for my room as a kid. Ha- I'm stoked about it now. ;D

hardygirl847

MacGyver

Found this at random online- awesomely way cool fanmade tribute to Rudy Nappi's classic cover for While The Clock Ticked, The Hardy Boys #11 in the original series. :) 8)  (with Robin and Nightwing standing in for Frank and Joe and The Joker as the villian. Perfect!)

MacGyver

Just a quick thing I've been meaning to mention. On most episodes of That '70s Show, whenever there's a shot in the Formans' living room, if you look in the background, you can see a stack of the yellow and blue spined Grossett & Dunlap Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys books. :)

MacGyver

Love the description on this Flickr photo of the interior illustration from The Masked Monkey- Mola Ram versus The Hardy Boys ;D  (as both a fan of Indiana Jones and The Hardy Boys, I couldn't pass up posting that one.) 8)