Goodbye UBs?

Started by Bigfootman, May 18, 2009, 04:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

50 years? More like 82.

Frank rules

Whatever. The point still stands. Why decide now to run the Hardy Boys franchise into the ground now, when they probably could have continued the Casefiles and (orriginal) ND/HB supermysteries after the discontinuation of the digests and made a fortune for themselves?

SDLagent

The Casefiles line wasn't selling well, and neither was the Digests. They weren't very good anymore, either.

Frank rules

Weren't the casefiles doing better than the UBs? If not, then I stand corrected.

SDLagent

Well for a time it was the top-selling YA series, so, I think it's safe to say it was doing better than the UB, at first. But in later years of the series, sales dropped.

Having said that, S&S probably could have kept, I think, if the quality of writing hadn't gone down. Most fans agree that the last books of the series are the worst, and some say the last books S&S "cared about" were the Operation Phoenix Trilogy (#64-66).

tomswift2002

With the Casefiles it seems like the books published between April 1987 and August 1992 where the books that Simon & Schuster really tried to make different from the Originals/Digests.  After that, aside from a few books, the action and what the Hardy's were and weren't allowed to do became nearly identical to what the could and couldn't do in the Digests.  In the early Casefiles there were a number of books where the boys would handle guns.  In the last years of the series, the boys were reduced to, if they found a gun, throwing it somewhere and fighting with their fists.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Frank rules

Quote from: SDLagent on July 30, 2009, 09:31:33 PM
Well for a time it was the top-selling YA series, so, I think it's safe to say it was doing better than the UB, at first. But in later years of the series, sales dropped.

Having said that, S&S probably could have kept, I think, if the quality of writing hadn't gone down. Most fans agree that the last books of the series are the worst, and some say the last books S&S "cared about" were the Operation Phoenix Trilogy (#64-66).
Thanks for clearing that up for me, man.

SDLagent