#47 Flight into danger

Started by goldie3, April 17, 2017, 11:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldie3

Just read this book a few days back, and while not my favorite, definitely enjoyed it.

Good things: I liked how Frank went total geek on planes, decent mystery, lots of action, Moira and Ray were pretty good characters, I especially liked how Moira wasn't just a damsel in distress.

Bad things: not specifically bad or anything, just not my preference. This book was less cerebral compared to a lot of other hardy books case files. Jill was a pretty unnecessary character, I feel.

Rating: 7/10

What are your thoughts?

MacGyver

It's been a long while since I've read this book, but I rather enjoyed Flight Into Danger, probably because I like airplanes and I like all of The Hardy Boys books to some extent. I particularly remember the quip Frank makes to Joe about him needing to stay home to watch Looney Tunes reruns. And I do seem to recall a bit at the end about a tabloid newspaper printing a story about a local teen seeing a UFO- apparently a somewhat spaced out kid at the gas station saw the experimental plane in the book and mistook it for that, if I recall correctly.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

goldie3

Those are in fact, the starting and ending passages of the book.

VLoneWolf

I think I read this book recently.

MacGyver

Ha- glad to see I've still got a pretty good memory for these books. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

CalvinKnox

I finished reading this book again.  It was the second Casefiles story that I ever read.  I noticed two new items this time: 1st, it says the Ray flew jets off the carrier Forrestal, which was decommissioned only 2 years after Flight into Danger.  2nd, there were a few Buck Rogers references, which was interesting since the 1979 TV series didn't seem all that popular (I also don't remember any jetpacks in that show).   

MacGyver

Cool! I like Buck Rogers. He's been around a long time though- much longer than the TV series. (Which is a great show, by the way.) :) 8)

tomswift2002

Yeah, the 1979 TV series was the second TV series.  There was a TV series mad in 1950, however, according to Wikipedia, there are no known kinescope or film prints, so it is a Lost TV series.  But the first film appearance of Buck Rogers was way back in 1933/34.

But a lot of things have included references to Buck Rogers.  Probably the most famous is "Star Trek: Voyagers" "Captain Proton" holodeck Adventures.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

CalvinKnox

Yeah I seem to recall that the 30s Serial actor appeared in an episode of the 79 TV series.  I had just figured that any one reading the book in 1990 wouldn't have been too familiar with something that aired 50-60 years before.