Make Your Choice!

Started by JoeHardyRocks, February 13, 2011, 06:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If Frank and Joe were about to fall off a cliff, and you could only save one, who would you save? :o

Frank
4 (50%)
Joe
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: June 27, 2012, 07:24:06 PM

MacGyver

Well, when they say "gay" in The Flintstones theme song, it still means happy. :)
I really don't know why that word was taken to mean homosexual.
But usually when kids say, "That's so gay"- they usually mean more along the lines of "That's so lame" or "That's so, like, grody to the max!" (um, that one would be in use by the '80s valley girls- lol) I know, I know- you can't believe I just said that. Like, gag me with a spoon!
Okay- (and I promise you I've never really used such phrases, but I couldn't resist throwing them out there)- got that out of my system.
There are a lot of things I hear kids say that I wish they wouldn't. And almost every time it's because they've heard it a movie or on TV and think it must be a cool thing to say- or they hear it from their friends, who heard it from TV or the movies or their parents or other adults or older kids, etc.
    Just because some people let their minds and mouths slide into the gutter doesn't mean we should let society's standards slip. But the question there is- who defines the standard? For me, God sets the standard and it's pretty high. (in Matthew 5:48, He says the standard is holiness and perfection because God is perfect.) Of course, no one can do that on their own strength because we all mess up. And that's where the grace of Jesus comes in. :)

QuoteI work on a route and my dad does the driving. And the preaching. And the maintainence work.
Your dad's a preacher? Awesome! :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

AlwaysAJoefan

Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

hardygirl847

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 14, 2011, 06:14:52 PM
Yeah. Then again, we live in a new and different word, don't we?

Yes, we do....Makes me slightly worried about having kids but it's how they are raised too. :)

Quote from: SDLagent on February 14, 2011, 06:17:24 PM
I voted for Frank just to even-up the poll.

You didn't vote for him because you like him? :( I LOVE Frank! Maybe a little too much. haha But I love Joe too.

Quote from: MacGyver on February 15, 2011, 01:06:39 AM
Well, when they say "gay" in The Flintstones theme song, it still means happy. :)
I really don't know why that word was taken to mean homosexual.
But usually when kids say, "That's so gay"- they usually mean more along the lines of "That's so lame" or "That's so, like, grody to the max!" (um, that one would be in use by the '80s valley girls- lol) I know, I know- you can't believe I just said that. Like, gag me with a spoon!
Okay- (and I promise you I've never really used such phrases, but I couldn't resist throwing them out there)- got that out of my system.
There are a lot of things I hear kids say that I wish they wouldn't. And almost every time it's because they've heard it a movie or on TV and think it must be a cool thing to say- or they hear it from their friends, who heard it from TV or the movies or their parents or other adults or older kids, etc.
    Just because some people let their minds and mouths slide into the gutter doesn't mean we should let society's standards slip. But the question there is- who defines the standard? For me, God sets the standard and it's pretty high. (in Matthew 5:48, He says the standard is holiness and perfection because God is perfect.) Of course, no one can do that on their own strength because we all mess up. And that's where the grace of Jesus comes in. :)
      Your dad's a preacher? Awesome! :)

I personally don't like how "gay" is used now. When I hear someone say "that's gay" as in "that's lame"...I really want to correct them. We're coming to a place in society where homosexuality is becoming more acceptable, and that phrase is derogatory, IMO.

Yes, "gay" can mean happy but no one really uses that anymore. So then you get the snickers and giggles from kids when they hear that.

Mac, the standards are getting lower and lower. It's really sad. I have heard almost every swear word on tv lately. It really bugs me that I could be watching  5 minutes of a show, and if I had a kid at home, I'd have to worry they would hear a lot of swear words. If we shouldn't say them in front of a kid, why the heck is it allowed on television?!

Sorry...I shouldn't get started with that because it really, really frustrates me. I don't even have kids yet and it bugs me! It makes me  worried that EVERYTHING will on television by the time my kids are old enough to watch tv.

Good thing for parental controls, I guess. :)

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on February 15, 2011, 10:45:09 AM
Yep, he's the preacher.  :D

Awesome!

To get back on topic, would your choice still be the same if you had to answer to the one that survived? For instance, I  would try to save both but if I was only able to save Frank, I'd have to confront him about not picking Joe.

Which brother do you think would have rather sacrificed himself to save the other? (You should have saved HIM, not me!)

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 16, 2011, 02:12:34 PM
To get back on topic, would your choice still be the same if you had to answer to the one that survived? For instance, I  would try to save both but if I was only able to save Frank, I'd have to confront him about not picking Joe.

Which brother do you think would have rather sacrificed himself to save the other? (You should have saved HIM, not me!)

I'm sure they would both be telling you to "save him, not me!!!" Then I'm sure that whoever I saved would be totally heartbroken!!! :'( I would have to talk to Joe about not picking Frank, and he would just be distraught. :(

But then again, seeing as they're the Hardy Boys, whoever fell would survive somehow... ;D ;) :D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

hardygirl847

I agree. I think they'd both sacrifice themselves to save the other. They are brothers after all... And despite the lack of affection or brotherly love in some of the books, they do still care about each other. Now and then they say something to prove that.

And haha...yes...the one that fell would probably hold on in some way. But that's not part of this hypothetical question. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

QuoteI personally don't like how "gay" is used now. When I hear someone say "that's gay" as in "that's lame"...I really want to correct them. We're coming to a place in society where homosexuality is becoming more acceptable, and that phrase is derogatory, IMO.
Well, and this is going off on a totally different topic so I won't dwell long on this, society has made homosexuality more acceptable but God still calls it a sin. However, He loves homosexuals as much as He loves anyone else and Christ paid for that sin on Calvary too.
Nonetheless, I've never really used the whole "that's so gay" phrase to begin with. I don't know if I would consider it totally derogatory because I understand the context kids are using it in and it's not a huge deal to me necessarily- but I'd probably just as soon not hear it either.
But people say lots of things I don't really agree with and I just have to accept that that's how they talk- whether it's right or not. But I do wish people would be more careful with what they say (and by that I mean all of us)- and honestly, why are adults so concerned (some of them anyway) about not saying bad words in front of kids? If kids shouldn't be saying them, why is it any different for adults? If it's a bad word- then it's a bad word for anyone to use.
That's my take on it.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: MacGyver on February 16, 2011, 03:47:56 PM
Well, and this is going off on a totally different topic so I won't dwell long on this, society has made homosexuality more acceptable but God still calls it a sin. However, He loves homosexuals as much as He loves anyone else and Christ paid for that sin on Calvary too.
Nonetheless, I've never really used the whole "that's so gay" phrase to begin with. I don't know if I would consider it totally derogatory because I understand the context kids are using it in and it's not a huge deal to me necessarily- but I'd probably just as soon not hear it either.
But people say lots of things I don't really agree with and I just have to accept that that's how they talk- whether it's right or not. But I do wish people would be more careful with what they say (and by that I mean all of us)- and honestly, why are adults so concerned (some of them anyway) about not saying bad words in front of kids? If kids shouldn't be saying them, why is it any different for adults? If it's a bad word- then it's a bad word for anyone to use.
That's my take on it.

AMEN. 8) :)
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 16, 2011, 03:47:56 PM
That's my take on it.

Great mini-sermon, Mac! I'm serious, not sarcastic.  ;)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on February 16, 2011, 04:31:05 PM
Great mini-sermon, Mac! I'm serious, not sarcastic.  ;)

Neither am I! ;)

SDLagent

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 14, 2011, 06:56:18 PMThere was a time when "gay" meant something totality different! ::)

Now people just use "gay" like they do "lame".

MacGyver

yeah- I hear that still, although even that phrase has become sorta passe, I think. (And not really out of concerns of offending any people caught up in homosexuality, but more so just because it's an older phrase.)

Olivia

I went for Frank. Although I definitely wouldn't want to choose :(

I guess I like him a smidge better for some reason. I think when I was younger I liked Joe, though. Can't remember.

MacGyver

QuoteGreat mini-sermon, Mac! I'm serious, not sarcastic.   

Neither am I! 
Well, thanks everyone. Yeah, I can rattle off mini-sermons on these things sometimes...haha.
I'll try not to ramble on too much though. ;)