WHICH ATAC GADGET IS BEST?

Started by joeandfrankrock, July 03, 2011, 02:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I liked some things about it. As to what I disliked about it, it was mainly the same concerns I have regarding Supernatural. As I've probably said before, others may not care and that's fine- but I try to be particularly cautious regarding the supernatural and its portrayal- and I just didn't care for the portrayal of it in this book. While it's true that police today do employ the use of psychics, I don't think The Hardy Boys of the Original Series books would ever so readily accept psychics as valid. Again, the concern for me here particularly as a Christian is the source of power. Only God knows the future. He has granted some knowledge of it to prophets in the past, but those revelations are contained in The Bible- I don't believe He has chosen to reveal anything further nor needs to. Thus, and especially considering that God expressly forbids His people to have anything to do with psychics, when people claim to be able to read minds and/or tell the future, they are claiming power that only God has- and if they're not getting it from Him, there's only one other source they could get any spiritual access from- and that's the devil.
    And I know we can say that it's just a story and to not take it too seriously, but again- I just choose to be particularly cautious. And like I said- this getting off track from the original topic as well...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Bigfootman

Quote from: MacGyver on April 24, 2012, 08:18:29 AM
I liked some things about it. As to what I disliked about it, it was mainly the same concerns I have regarding Supernatural. As I've probably said before, others may not care and that's fine- but I try to be particularly cautious regarding the supernatural and its portrayal- and I just didn't care for the portrayal of it in this book. While it's true that police today do employ the use of psychics, I don't think The Hardy Boys of the Original Series books would ever so readily accept psychics as valid. Again, the concern for me here particularly as a Christian is the source of power. Only God knows the future. He has granted some knowledge of it to prophets in the past, but those revelations are contained in The Bible- I don't believe He has chosen to reveal anything further nor needs to. Thus, and especially considering that God expressly forbids His people to have anything to do with psychics, when people claim to be able to read minds and/or tell the future, they are claiming power that only God has- and if they're not getting it from Him, there's only one other source they could get any spiritual access from- and that's the devil.
    And I know we can say that it's just a story and to not take it too seriously, but again- I just choose to be particularly cautious. And like I said- this getting off track from the original topic as well...

George Edward Stanley, who wrote "The Case Of The Psychic's Vision", also wrote "The Mystery of the Black Rhino", "One False Step", and "The Secret Of The Soldier's Gold". He also wrote several Nancy Drew books, including 4  Clue Crew books. He wrote over 100 kids books. He died on Monday, February 7, 2011.

"The Case Of The Psychic's Vision" and "The Mystery of the Black Rhino" are considered by many people to be two of the worst Hardy Boys books.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

Thanks for the info, Dan. I actually like The Mystery of the Black Rhino a lot better than The Case of the Psychic Vision, but one thing I will say that I like about both of them- the titles were a nice throwback to the classic naming sequence for the Original Series with all of those "The Mystery of....", "The Secret of....", "The Clue of...." and "The Case of...." type titles.
And The Secret of the Soldier's Gold was a great title- I particularly enjoyed that one- probably because of my love for treasure hunts and such. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on April 24, 2012, 08:18:29 AM

Do you think that Frank and Joe could've solved the case without the psychic?  :-\

MacGyver

Certainly. They are The Hardy Boys, after all. ;) :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on April 24, 2012, 12:27:19 PM
Certainly. They are The Hardy Boys, after all. ;) :)

Adding that psychic kid in just made it more creepy. I don't like how the Hardys just readily accepted it. ::) Is there a thread for this book?

Bigfootman

Quote from: Katie on April 24, 2012, 12:42:30 PM
Is there a thread for this book?
There is a thread for the "The Case of the Psychic Vision" and "The Mystery of the Black Rhino":
http://www.hardyboyscasefiles.com/forums/index.php?topic=1919.0

We should continue the discussion there, as what was originally a topic on gadgets in the UBs has now turned into a discussion on "The Case Of The Psychic's Vision" .

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

I agree. Sorry to get us off topic, guys. :-[