Recent posts

Public Domain / Re: Free review copies of The ...
Last post by Brentski - September 14, 2023, 10:28:03 AM
Oh, one more interesting note - going from 11 point to 12 point increased the page count by 23 pages.
Small change, big impact! (printing costs start with a base amount and then a per page amount)
Still, 12 point looked better and match the old canon books.
Last post by Brentski - September 14, 2023, 10:22:52 AM
Hey, thanks for ordering a physical book!

These are print on demand, so the print date will be unique to your copy. The barcode? I'm not certain if that is unique to each copy. I do know that the barcode is used during production to help make sure the right cover goes onto the proper interior. So that could be unique, but it seems that it would only have to be unique to the book & format. (e.g. one barcode for the hardcover and a different one for the softcover) I am just guessing.

The cover material is called matte by Amazon. The other choice was glossy. I preferred the feel of the matte, and the matte covers look the same whatever the lighting (no reflections). The glossy has a bit more saturation and contrast, but you really can only see this under ideal lighting. It was a tough choice, but the feel was the deciding factor.

The book trim size is the smallest that Amazon offered for both hardcover and softcover. They say it's 5.5" x 8.5". They do offer a 5" x 8", but in softcover only. So yes, it is bigger than the canon books. I did select the font (Garamond) as it looks very similar (maybe exactly like) the typeface in my old canon hardcovers. Font size is 12. I started with 11, but it was a touch small. Going to 12 took another hour of work moving the images around (to avoid getting a half-blank page before the image).

I've been in Rogers since '99. It's funny how coincidences of location happen.

Thanks again for the purchase. I hope you hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it.
Last post by SkyWarp - September 12, 2023, 06:07:15 PM
My print copy arrived today. 

First physical impression, it is bigger and heavier than I was expecting (not a bad thing).  Just picking up the Amazon package, I thought perhaps something other than the book had been delivered to my house because of the weight.  Also, the only Hardy Boy books I have that are taller than this book are the Library Hardbacked Casefiles 1-10 I have sitting on my shelf.  The cover has a smooth sort of suede feeling to it.  I can't think of what type of cover that is called, but I like that type of feeling to printed pieces. 

A few other quick observations.  On the very last page before the inside back cover, there is a barcode as well as a date and location of where the book was made.  It says, Moline, IL, on September 10, 2023.  I am guessing these will be made as ordered, unless some huge order comes in?  Thus the date may change for everyone's individual copy? Does that bar code change too?

Interestingly, the Moline, IL location then caught my attention along with the Rogers, MN location in the front of the book for the Self-Publish location.  For my regular day job, I work for a company that has a location in Moline And several not far from Rogers (Albertville and several other Minneapolis area locations).  Small world.

Anyway, now I need to find a place to place this book on my shelves until I get time to read it. 
Last post by Brentski - September 12, 2023, 11:12:35 AM
BTW: These links can be redeemed from the US only. (Or at least Amazon has to think you're in the US)
Public Domain / Free review copies of The Cryp...
Last post by Brentski - September 12, 2023, 11:02:35 AM
Hello everyone,

My new Bayport Mysteries book, The Crypto Mine Cypher, is live on Amazon today.

I'm going to be giving away some copies for purposes of review. I'll list the instructions and redemption links in this thread. I ask that you take only one copy if you are interested (but if you think someone else would be interested, feel free to send them a copy). Please, if you take a copy, read it! Also, please consider giving the book an honest review on Amazon. You can write whatever you feel is fair on Amazon, but do please disclose that you received the book free for purposes of review.

For an Indy author, reviews are not just a marketing tool. They are a way to hear from readers and learn from their feedback. I will read ever review!

I'm going to start by dropping three copies here. If there is more demand than that, I'll drop in some more.

Thanks in advance if you do read and give me a review!
-Brent

The Crypto Mine Cypher (Bayport Mysteries: Frank & Joe Hardy Book 1) by ,

Please accept your prepaid eBook using the link below:
https://www.amazon.com/kindle/redeem/?t=GSYV334NSTMQ825

You can enjoy eBooks on any device with the free Kindle app for iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets, PC and Mac, and on Kindle e-readers and Fire tablets. Learn more at https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/fd/kcp

Need help? Visit Kindle Support at https://www.amazon.com/help/kindle/prepaidbooks/accept for information about Kindle prepaid eBooks.

2x more links:
https://www.amazon.com/kindle/redeem/?t=GSADT8DPHZ8DZS2
https://www.amazon.com/kindle/redeem/?t=GSLQFXDKS82QXVH
Public Domain / Re: The Crypto Mine Cypher
Last post by MacGyver - September 08, 2023, 04:24:10 PM
Quote from: Brentski on September 07, 2023, 11:18:45 PMHello all! It's my first post, glad to be here.

I am the author of The Crypto Mine Cypher and wanted to address comment/concerns about public domain.

First off, I have read all of the original texts of the first 38 books (as well as the whole of the revised 58 book canon - multiple times each) I'm not claiming to have deep or special knowledge, but I have the basics covered.

As prep for this book, I reviewed the first three books of the original texts and made note of characters, locations and businesses mentioned. Con Riley is in The Tower Treasure, FWIW. The Conan Doyle estate is a good case study as they even sued people for how Holmes was characterized, saying changes in his views towards women did not manifest in print until later works that were still in copyright. Interestingly, they didn't sue Enola Holmes author/publisher until the Netflix production was announced - deep pockets I suppose.

Anyway, I have made every effort to 'color within the lines', even to the point of not using characterizations of the cast that were not part of the original (now public domain) texts. In some cases I am reverting to previous versions of the characters, in others I will be introducing novel variants of personality.

Most interesting absence in my novel - Gertrude Hardy. Her first appearance is in The Missing Chums, so she is verboten until 2024. Not to worry, there is a place for her at Hardy Investigations (which is Fenton's middle-sized business in my series).

As far as this being canon, of course I agree that is not. Canon is canon. This is (I hope) an interesting aside. I have done my best to make the book 'feel' like the old canon, but at the same time it is set in modern day and I have made character changes - with Joe being the chief example. I'll be previewing the first five chapters out on my Substack in the lead up to release on 01OCT23. I hope you will give them a go. If you like them, I believe you will enjoy the whole book. If you don't, then don't bother any more with it!

The book will be available to USA only, precisely because of copyright differences. I'm curious if anyone knows if (and which) the books are PD in other countries. If you do think they are, can you provide an official reference so I can be certain of the standing? As regards access via Substack to the sample chapters - I'll have to look into if I can geo-limit access. At a minimum I should disclose the PD status, but perhaps I'll have to abandon this release method... Ugh!

Anyway, this post is too long already. Last thing - I will be discussing the creation process, character changes, tools I used, etc. on my Substack. New posts weekly on Fridays. You can view all my posts for free on the site, and/or subscribe to recieve them via email.

Thanks and take care,
-Brent

I didn't realize Con Riley appeared in The Tower Treasure. I will have to look to see if he appears in the revised version. I haven't read these books in many years. I am used to his characterization from the Casefiles, which I assume would be off-limits still.
Last post by tomswift2002 - September 08, 2023, 01:43:26 PM
Quote from: Brentski on September 08, 2023, 10:56:11 AMThanks to tomswift2002 for giving me the heads-up on the worldwide distrubution of the preview chapter - saved my bacon.

As my marketing plan involved building toward the release with chapter excerpts, and these are now impossible, I've decided to move the release of the book up to 12SEP23. Amazon and B&N should reflect this change in the next day or two. Previews should be available when the titles go live. I've reduced the price of the book to $0.99 from now (when change becomes effective) until 01OCT23.

I pulled the chapter one sample from Substack. (Boo) But I've also published an update, article and preview of the table of contents and a piece of interior art on Substack. https://bayportmysteries.substack.com/p/and-so-it-has-come-to-this (Yea)

I'll now attempt to be quiet and stop spamming the forum.
-Brent

Hi Brentski,

Yeah international copyright is annoying.  As I've said a few times, in Canada we don't have a similar law to the US's "Works for Hire", so we have to make the US Copyright work because of the Berne Convention and other international treaties.

So in Canada, even if it's a corporation that owns the copyright, the length is based on the author's life + 70 years (which is why the original "The Secret Warning" is still under copyright while the other John Button books are public domain, since  Leslie McFarlane co-wrote the book with button, and McFarlane died 12 years after Button, so it is McFarlane who is keeping the book in the copyright domain here in Canada until January 1, 2048, while it'll enter the US public domain on January 1, 2034.).

Here's a link to Canada's Copyright Law (sections 6 & 13 are relevant to our talk):

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-42/page-2.html#docCont

Now then, if we look at Revenge of The Desert Phantom from 1985, where the author is still unknown, as of right now, that book is scheduled to enter the Canadian Public Domain on January 1, 2061 (and the US January 1, 2081), as Canada allows 75 years of coverage for anonymously published works.  Now, if the author becomes known, then the copyright length switches to the life + 70.  So if it was discovered that James Duncan Lawrence wrote "Desert Phantom", then it's copyright would go until January 1, 2065, since Lawrence died in 1994.
Last post by Brentski - September 08, 2023, 10:56:11 AM
Thanks to tomswift2002 for giving me the heads-up on the worldwide distrubution of the preview chapter - saved my bacon.

As my marketing plan involved building toward the release with chapter excerpts, and these are now impossible, I've decided to move the release of the book up to 12SEP23. Amazon and B&N should reflect this change in the next day or two. Previews should be available when the titles go live. I've reduced the price of the book to $0.99 from now (when change becomes effective) until 01OCT23.

I pulled the chapter one sample from Substack. (Boo) But I've also published an update, article and preview of the table of contents and a piece of interior art on Substack. https://bayportmysteries.substack.com/p/and-so-it-has-come-to-this (Yea)

I'll now attempt to be quiet and stop spamming the forum.
-Brent
Last post by Brentski - September 08, 2023, 02:19:36 AM
I reviewed the original texts of #18 - 21, but it's bad news for me. They do not contain the characters of Jerry, Phil or Tony. Each of them is in my book to varying degrees. So it appears publishing to Canada is out.

Worse news: I cannot figure a way to geo-restrict Substack. So I'll have to discontinue previews of the chapters. Fair is fair, I can't violate copyright because it's inconvenient. My apologies. I am considering my options.

My current thought is to move publication forward so that free previews become available on Amazon (previews look to be available currently on Barnes & Noble. I have geo-restricted the publications to USA. Also, I'll drop the table of contents onto Substack and do weekly art reveals. Better than nothing, if only by a bit.
Last post by Brentski - September 07, 2023, 11:25:50 PM
Ah, I saw the comments about John Button's books in Canada.
I'll want to dig into that. Most likely this would give me a legal window to publish in Canada - I hope.