Encyclopedia Search Function

Started by SkyWarp, December 31, 2009, 10:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

BUG FIX:
When "Person Alive" is chosen as a category filter, all living suspects and characters are now included in the search index.  Several were not included before this fix was applied. 

NEW FEATURE:
The search feature (currently only on the casefiles side) now searches book titles and summaries in addition to the other data it already searched.  This was added because the search feature was being used to search for book titles.  If results after additional real world testing are satisfactory then we may add this to the UB search function as well.

SkyWarp

NEW FEATURE:
The undercover brothers search feature now searches book titles, and back cover text in addition to the other data it already searched.  This was added because the search feature was being used to search for book titles.

SkyWarp

BETA TESTING PLEASE:

I have integrated ATAC and Network Encyclopedia search functions into one function. 

http://www.hardyboyscasefiles.com/search.php

If everyone could please test the feature and let me know what the think it would be helpful. For what am I looking?

1) Are the search results reasonable for the keywords you searched?

2) Did any error codes or programming junk appear on the screen? 

3) Does the search categories make sense and are they user friendly?

Please post as many specifics and as much detail as possible if you find any issues.  If there are no major issues, I hope to have this search function up and running across the site in all areas of the encyclopedias and the home page of the web site. 

SkyWarp

The global search feature was made live on the main page of the site as well as many other portions of the site recently. 

In addition, I have added an OpenSearch feature to the site as well.  This means that if you have a browser that supports OpenSearch, then you can install the Hardy Boys Encyclopedia Search functionality to your browser. (Both IE and FF support this feature)

In addition to this, I have also added a favicon to the site.  This ideally will also appear in your search settings if you use this feature (along with all the other normal things the favicon does).

SkyWarp

FINE TUNING:

Small words (such as the following: a, on, at) are now given a much lesser (many times zero) score in the search feature.  This eliminates many worthless results that could come from doing a search such as "Dead on Target".

SkyWarp

I have remedied some additional bugs found in the encyclopedia search features that were preventing people from viewing results beyond the first 10 shown on the first page. 

SkyWarp

The Search Function has been improved to include the 'details' in determining search result rankings and not just the item summaries and back covers.

SkyWarp

I have completely re-written the search function in preparation for a significant Website/Database Update. 

It now should include books from all series (except the Adventures and Secret Files) that are listed on this website as well as the regular database entries from the Casefiles series.  The UB series entries (there were only very few anyway) have been removed (it is possible these could be re-added later).  Categories filters were also not being used much and have been removed (these could potentially be added back in again later, but not likely)

With this change has come some significant changes in relevancy and rankings.  So if you come across search results that don't seem quite right (for instance a search for Callie Shaw brings up Biff Hooper as the number one result), please let me know.

MacGyver

Sounds cool! Thanks for your work on this. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"