October 2011 Book Club Discussion: The Secret Warning (#17 Original, revised)

Started by Olivia, October 25, 2011, 01:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olivia

So what are your thoughts? And your rating on this book overall?

I think this is the first time I've read it. I was surprised at how jam-packed it was - on incidents, characters, movement from location to location, and so on. There was lots of information on diving and things like that.

I like Biff's "going away" party. Gives a sense of normalcy. And the dog Frank and Joe look after is a good source of comedy with Aunt Gertrude.

Overall, with all the different things going on, the story definitely keeps you thinking.

tomswift2002

The Revised Text is definitely better than the Original Text.

The Revised I would give a rating of: 7 out of 10

The Original, I'm going to have to stick with my original February 2009 rating of: 2 out of 10.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I have read the revised version of The Secret Warning years ago and I would really have to reread it before I can comment much on this one. Unfortunately, I haven't quite gotten to that yet... :(
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

It's been awhile since I read it, and I've only read the revised text, but from what I can remember I liked it. Is this the one with the "evil eye" or whatever it was called?

I always liked the cover of this book.

The original covers were pretty cool, too...

The three covers are all quite different but they've all got a creepy vibe to them.

MacGyver

QuoteIs this the one with the "evil eye" or whatever it was called?
I think you may be thinking of A Figure in Hiding there.
But yeah- The Secret Warning has some pretty cool covers- with the dark figure and/or the dark night there, it definitely adds to the creepy feeling.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I know what you're talking about with A Figure in Hiding but I also think there was another book with something thing like that.

Olivia

The lighthouse flashes a warning in morse code when they approach an island that they are going to explore due to a found treasure map. And someone dresses up like a pirate from the past, who is suppose to be a ghost or something. There is also an Egyptian Pharaoh artifact/gold bust thing that has sunk on a ship and people are after it (but it might be a false insurance claim).

Some details to refresh some people's memory, if I have it right.