Favorite Undercover Brothers 2008 Poll series

Started by SDLagent, July 23, 2008, 04:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

I'm thinking of starting 2009 version of the Favorite Undercover Brothers Poll series  which ran last year on this very forum.

However, I'm considering making some changes to the format, and would like to now your opinion on some of the changes.

1) Head-to-head polls
Last time I started the series off with half the titles in one one poll and half in another, but this year I'm considering having only two books in a poll at a time, in a sort head-to-head dual.

2) Random match-ups
This time around I am thinking of having all the titles divided up and paired randomly, unlike last time where I had all odd numbered books against each other, and like wise with even numbered.

3) No Super Mysteries
I'm not really into this idea my self but thought I'd through it out there for consideration, since the Super Mysteries both made it to the finals last year, and seeing as how they seem to be the undisputed favorite, what about not including them in this year's series? Again, like I said, I'm not crazy about the idea but some of you may like it. And of course if ''Haunted'' is no good, that will change things.

If everyone is into this, I plan to start the series some time in September after the publication of UB Super Mystery #3 ''Haunted'' and Mission #24 ''Murder House''.

Anyway, please voice your opinion.

Sam Spade

#1 and #2 sound good, HBWiki! And I definitely think you should leave the Super Mystery's out of these polls. :)
Check out my Youtube Channel: :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/SageDuvall

SDLagent

Okay good.

Yeah (even though I would rather them left in), at this point a Super Mysteryless series seems like the best way to go, but book three, ''Huanted'', could change our view on the subject, depending on if it's not as good as the first two books.

Sam Spade

Quote from: HardyBoysWiki on July 23, 2008, 04:30:30 AM
but book three, ''Huanted'', could change our view on the subject, depending on if it's not as good as the first two books.

True.

tomswift2002

Or with the Super Mysteries you could maybe through all the Super Mysteries into one poll, including the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew series.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Q

Never heard of the UB poll before. Better look it up.

Olivia

(Agreeing with tomswift2002) I also think the Super Mysteries should be separate, only because they are a special category and tend to be better in general/overall, therefore very likely picked over the regular books. I would have a hard time choosing between Wanted and Danger Overseas though. I mean, would you include the ND/HB crossovers?

And splitting the polls in two books each would probably work too. Then it really is a "process of elimination". I don't know my opinion about head-to-head vs. random pairings yet - I'd have to think about that. We'd have to sift out the pros and cons.

For myself, I think the earlier books are the weakest, so choosing between those and a higher number would be a no-brainer. But choosing between two of the earlier books or two of the later books would make me think more.

SDLagent

Quote from: oliviatocali on July 23, 2008, 10:52:27 AM
(Agreeing with tomswift2002) I also think the Super Mysteries should be separate, only because they are a special category and tend to be better in general/overall, therefore very likely picked over the regular books. I would have a hard time choosing between Wanted and Danger Overseas though. I mean, would you include the ND/HB crossovers?

Last time I just included the non-crossover Undercover Brothers Super Mysteries, anyway since all of you have been for the idea of no Super Mysteries, I think it's likely that, like tomswift2002 suggested, I'll go with a separate Super Mystery poll(s).

And splitting the polls in two books each would probably work too. Then it really is a "process of elimination". I don't know my opinion about head-to-head vs. random pairings yet - I'd have to think about that. We'd have to sift out the pros and cons.

Well the head-to-head polls would be paired randomly, what I was asking is if we should have head-to-head match-ups or, like last year, multiple books against one another. But it seems like most every body, is into head-to-head (myself included), so I think we'll see that.

And the reason I'm asking about random match-ups, is because last time they weren't random, rather odd numbered books were against each other, and even numbered against each other.

For myself, I think the earlier books are the weakest, so choosing between those and a higher number would be a no-brainer. But choosing between two of the earlier books or two of the later books would make me think more.

Well, I tend to find the first few some of the best, so I think it will be pretty even results.

Olivia

Oooh, I see. Yeah, I think the head-to-head thing would work. And maybe random pairing. But of course I'd like to see others weigh in :)

SDLagent

Would any of you recommend a site to randomize the polls?

There's one I'll probably use, but I'd like to hear your suggestions, since there may be a better site out there.

SDLagent

So after reading ''Haunted'' do you think it should be included in this poll? It doesn't seem to be a Super Mystery, but it doesn't seem like a regular UB either.

tomswift2002

I think "Haunted" should be included in the regular series poll.  I think with the #24 on the title page, "Haunted" is suppose to be a regular series book (and I think "Comic Con Artist" was actually this year's rejected SuperMystery for some reason).

But it is very hard to say, since the book is a very odd anomaly in any of the Hardy series.  It doesn't even compare to the anomalous Digests 84 and 85.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

JoeHardyRocks

Well, Haunted is a special edition ghost stories, so I don't think you should include it.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

FrankJoeATAC

I don't think it was a Special Edition Ghost Stories book, because it was just one ghost story, not a whole bunch.

Sam Spade