Does incorrect cover art bother you?

Started by P. Walker, April 16, 2012, 06:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P. Walker

Casefiles Dirty Deeds, Evil Inc. and Deathgame--to name a few--all depict scenes that are not accurate. Does that bother you? Evil Inc cover isnt showing the Hardys dye job, Deathgame's cover is off b/c Frank was nowhere around when Terry, luaren and Joe were constructing the bow and arrow contraption. That shouldve been Luaren, Joe and terry on the cover. Plus Hammerlock's headband is red, not white...not to mention the firearm is wrong. i remember Dirty Deeds cover being wrong when I first read it some years ago, but I'd have to reread the book to see exactly what it is.
Is doesn't bother me too bad, but sometimes it just seems kinda sloppy. Though Im pretty sure the illustrator doesnt read the books either before he/she is told what to draw.

AlwaysAJoefan

I don't necessarily get bothered, but I do find it weird. :)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

MacGyver

I don't care so much- not all books necessarily always have exact scenes taken from the book on the cover. It may help to think of it as something representative of The Hardy Boys- all the cover arts you mentioned are still conceivable scenes from the books [or at least a Hardy Boys book]. I kind of think it would've looked a bit weird to see Frank and Joe's dye jobs on the cover of Evil, Inc.- but yes, they would have and should have technically been there. Also keep in mind that the illustrators are certainly not necessarily reading the entire book in order to create these scenes. They have to pick the scenes that strike them and the ones that seem the most interesting- and the ones they are told to draw, depending on how things are set up with the book publisher- so they are also limited some I am sure.
But overall, though it can be a little annoying at times, considering what all goes into creating it and considering that those who can draw like that can draw way better than me- I don't mind so much. It's not a huge deal for me.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

P. Walker

i can add one more incorrect cover. the US cover for Blood Relations doesnt even happen! And the sad part is that I was eager to get to that scene :-) excellent book though....kept me guessing who the bad guys were

Bigfootman

Quote from: P. Walker on May 01, 2012, 08:47:11 PM
i can add one more incorrect cover. the US cover for Blood Relations doesnt even happen! And the sad part is that I was eager to get to that scene :-) excellent book though....kept me guessing who the bad guys were
The  covers for "Cold Sweat" and "Dead Man in Deadwood" also showed scenes that don't happen in the books.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

Hmm- I thought Dead Man in Deadwood's cover did depict an actual scene...but it's been a while since I've read it. Of course, at least with this one and Cold Sweat is that you can at least imagine both scenes happening as they are in the correct settings. That's still better than the more abstract covers that are out there with some books that just marketing hype more than anything.
Like say, this cover for example.

(Yeah, spoiler alert, but no scene quite like that happened in the book- lol. It sure got me to read it as a kid though. I remember showing it to one of my friends and asking him, "Would you like to read this book?" -And with a cover like that, of course he's giving me an enthusiastic, "Yes!" :) 8)
It's a pretty cool story nonetheless, of course. And even if it didn't happen in the book, I still think the cover's way cool!)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Bigfootman

Quote from: MacGyver on May 25, 2012, 10:35:28 AM
Hmm- I thought Dead Man in Deadwood's cover did depict an actual scene...
From what I remember, there was a scene with horses  , but it still was quite diffrent from the scene on the cover. Of course, I could be wrong, as I haven't read the book in quite a while.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on May 25, 2012, 11:49:37 AM
From what I remember, there was a scene with horses  , but it still was quite diffrent from the scene on the cover. Of course, I could be wrong, as I haven't read the book in quite a while.
'

I read that one recently, and yes, the scene was pretty much exact. Frank almost got trampled by a horse and Joe pulled him away lol.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Did this even happen? I don't think so.

MacGyver

Well, the part where Frank, Joe and Nancy stood around and mugged like models in a photoshoot didn't happen- but everything else was there in the book. ;) ;D

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on June 13, 2012, 10:18:41 PM
Well, the part where Frank, Joe and Nancy stood around and mugged like models in a photoshoot didn't happen- but everything else was there in the book. ;) ;D
Looks like the ambukance is on fire! :o   Been awhile since I read it.

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on June 13, 2012, 10:18:41 PM

LOL! ;D I don't have this book, but your comment cracked me up, MacGyver! ;D
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

MacGyver

QuoteLooks like the ambukance is on fire!    Been awhile since I read it.
Well, I just read it a few months earlier when we covered it in our Book Club. And I'm pretty sure it's the car that was on fire there.