January 2011 Book Club Discussion - The Borderline Case (#25 Casefile)

Started by Olivia, January 14, 2011, 05:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

I remember when I was growing up how my mom used to tell me that back in the 60's and 70's the Christian bookstore in our city used to carry the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew G&D books due to them having Christian values in them, even though they were not written as religious fiction.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

hardygirl847

I'm not entirely sure if I would consider the HBs in a religious sense as much as I would having moral values. I know that can be one in the same sometimes but it's not really. Interesting though...They are 2 wholesome kids. :) I think the Christian stores would consider the Casefiles in the same light though. Lots of guns and much more violence in those.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Although there was some Christian literature written for kids in the '60s and '70s (The Sugar Creek Gang comes to mind- I have a number of those as well- grew up with that series and love reading them :)) - there's definitely much more Christian children's literature around today that keeps Christian book stores pretty well stocked. But I do agree that The Hardy Boys have always had great moral values which align very well with Christian values. Unfortunately, some of them seem to have been slipping in some of the modern books...
(but that's a discussion for another thread.)
    But whether a book is written specifically for a certain audience or not, it is certainly possible to take away some truths from books and movies and TV shows and most any kind of media, even if it may not have been the original intention. This is especially true of poetry, which is written to be interpreted by the reader. Some poets may offer their own explanation and the message they intended, but ultimately it's all in the eye of the beholder as to how it will be viewed. And as a Christian, The Bible is the lens that I view everything through and The Holy Spirit shapes how I see it and take in its meaning and value.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

JoeHardyRocks

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but it seems like most of the people who read the Hardy Boys are pretty religious..? I'm not sure if theres a connection or anything, but all my friends that like them are religious, and so are most of you.... :-\
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

SDLagent

MacGyver

Not necessarily, but I can certainly see how a lot of people of a particular religion or faith might be drawn to The Hardy Boys. I enjoy the action and adventure and mystery as much as anything, but as a Christian, I certainly also appreciate their moral values, many of which are certainly Biblical.
    I don't like to say I'm religious as such though- I think it carries some wrong connotations sometimes. I don't believe in religion- I just believe in Jesus. And I believe in following His Word as revealed in The Bible and in going to church and praying and showing His love to everyone. Jesus Himself said that's the most important of all the commands in The Bible- Love God with everything you've got and love your neighbor as yourself. (And by neighbor, He means everyone.) :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

JoeHardyRocks

I'm sure we had several topics abou stuff like that before, but I guess there isn't a "religion" board anymore....
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 09, 2011, 04:39:26 PM
I'm sure we had several topics abou stuff like that before, but I guess there isn't a "religion" board anymore....

Yeah. It was here when I joined, then it disappeared. Wonder what happened? Oh well, I think I only posted once there anyway.

Olivia

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 09, 2011, 01:53:29 PM
Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but it seems like most of the people who read the Hardy Boys are pretty religious..? I'm not sure if theres a connection or anything, but all my friends that like them are religious, and so are most of you.... :-\

I've noticed that. About 75% of people that I know that has read HBs (including a lot of you on this forum) are Christian.

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 09, 2011, 08:19:23 PM
Yeah. It was here when I joined, then it disappeared. Wonder what happened? Oh well, I think I only posted once there anyway.

When did you join 'cause I thought that topic was from a long time ago.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Olivia on February 09, 2011, 09:03:07 PM
I've noticed that. About 75% of people that I know that has read HBs (including a lot of you on this forum) are Christian.

When did you join 'cause I thought that topic was from a long time ago.

1/22/11.

MacGyver

Well, The Hardy Boys have long been a bastion of good Christian values and young men who serve as good role models for kids, so I can certainly see why Christian parents would want their kids to read those books- and why Christian kids (or slightly older Christian kids ;)) would want to read them. And as far as I can tell, Frank and Joe Hardy themselves are portrayed as being Protestant Christians (though very subtly and never terribly overt.)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 09, 2011, 09:09:54 PM
Well, The Hardy Boys have long been a bastion of good Christian values and young men who serve as good role models for kids, so I can certainly see why Christian parents would want their kids to read those books- and why Christian kids (or slightly older Christian kids ;) ) would want to read them. And as far as I can tell, Frank and Joe Hardy themselves are portrayed as being Protestant Christians (though very subtly and never terribly overt.)

Do you think Nancy Drew's the same way? I'm not sure I do.

MacGyver

I think Nancy Drew is also similar in that regard- from what I've read of Nancy Drew books. I honestly haven't read enough to make a really good values judgment call though.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 09, 2011, 09:13:56 PM
I think Nancy Drew is also similar in that regard- from what I've read of Nancy Drew books. I honestly haven't read enough to make a really good values judgment call though.

I sort of gave up on Nancy Drew when I found the Hardy Boys. The PC Games are cool! ;D

Olivia

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 09, 2011, 09:07:46 PM
1/22/11.

I guess I missed that topic (unless it wasn't in the topic, but in a thread somewhere).

If I may add to the discussion of ND being Christian, I remember some of the Originals mention church the same the HBs do. But yeah, I don't really know how far to take it besides the "good values" MacGyver mentioned.

If you mean Christian people reading ND as much as HBs...I don't know.