#40 The Case of the MyFace Kidnapper...?

Started by MacGyver, September 24, 2013, 11:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I feel pretty positive there is nothing to this, but still I thought I'd mention it just in case.
I noticed that Amazon.co.uk still has a listing up for this book. And while other Amazon markets do as well, they have the book's release date listed for sometime in 2030. (December 21, 2030, to be exact- but that's their way of saying this book is dead and never getting released.)
Anyway, I saw the UK Amazon listing says the book is set for release on February 28, 2014! Wow! I'm just wondering why this site has a date that is coming up fairly soon in the next few months versus all the others. Is it possible this title is getting a release just in the UK market, for some reason? I'm thinking it's probably just that Amazon needs to update that page because it seems doubtful that this remainder from the old Undercover Brothers series would finally get a release (assuming the manuscript was ever completed)- but who knows? After seeing one of The Three Investigators Crimebusters books get a German release 20 something years after it was first cancelled- I think it could be possible, even if unlikely.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Amazon UK had release dates for "Tom Swift Young Inventor" #7 Extraterrestial Highway, #8 (untitled), #9 (untitled) for release just this past summer.  They never came out, so I think this is probably what's going on with MyFace.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Are you saying yourFace is never coming out again? Aw- don't be shy to show your face- lol. ;) ;D (sorry, couldn't resist the dumb joke there.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Even though the book's unlikely to get released, I'd probably read it if it did become available. :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Well, of course! :) 8) If it's a Hardy Boys book, I'm pretty much probably going to read it. (Though I will admit I haven't quite bothered to go through all of The Clues Brothers and Secret Files books-lol- but I have read some. Maybe one day I'll borrow them all from the library or something.)

Hardy Sleuth

I've read some Secret Files and Clues Bros too. There are several pretty good ones. :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

Well, all of the ones I've read I still like much better than the Undercover Brothers-lol. ;D

tomswift2002

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Ah- some closure at last! Well, in Canada the Chapters site says the title is actually cancelled. The UK Amazon site still claims the books is being released 11 days from now, but like I said before- I highly doubt it. I would be fairly shocked if there was some kind of a release- I'm pretty sure they just haven't updated their site.

MacGyver

I find the descriptions for the book on that Chapters site pretty interesting:

"Frank and Joe are uncover once again for the ATAC--American Teenagers Against Crime--the undercover government organization that recruits teenagers for missions where adult detectives would be identified right away. Their latest case involves missing high school students who disappear after attending a party that they're invited to via MyFace! Is MyFace a social network of friends or a network of kidnappers? Frank and Joe enroll in a new school to find out who's behind these disturbing and maybe deadly abductions." (About the book)

"Frank and Joe''s latest case involves the dangerous underside of social networking. A football friend from a nearby school contacts the Hardys when a team member goes missing! One minute he was at a massive beach party that everyone from school was invited to via MyFace; the next moment he was GONE! The MyFace parties continue, but so do the crimes: robbery, kidnapping, car theft...can murder be far behind? Is MyFace a social network of friends or a network of something far more sinister?" (From the publisher)

While this storyline has been done in the graphic novels (or at least a similar one), some of this actually sounds pretty interesting- it might have been a fairly good book. I thought the bit about Frank and Joe enrolling in a new school to investigate this thing was pretty interesting. I wonder how they would explain that to their Bayport High School friends and all....(Though I'm sure it would only be temporary of course.)

MacGyver

Amazon UK now lists this book for October 30, 2015. But I don't think it's going to release then either- lol. ;D
It is a shame though, if the manuscript is complete- it would have been nice to see the book released. I wonder if the plot might get recycled for an Adventures story or something though. (Although the social media site plot is probably wearing thin nowadays, though the threat is still there.)

tomswift2002

It's probably a bug in their system, just like the release of those 3 Tom Swift Young Inventor titles last year.

MacGyver

Probably- like I said, I'm not seriously expecting to see this book released. It's just funny that every so often I keep finding new potential "release dates" for the book on there.
;)

MacGyver

Nothing like reviving an old thread for fun! I just checked and Amazon's UK page still says this book is releasing this Friday! Woohoo! :) ;D 8)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on October 27, 2015, 09:00:53 PM
Nothing like reviving an old thread for fun! I just checked and Amazon's UK page still says this book is releasing this Friday! Woohoo! :) ;D 8)

LOL! :D Finally! :P ;)