Digest eBook releases

Started by Lungbarrow, November 06, 2013, 04:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lungbarrow

For those wanting to go back and rediscover the Digest series or those discovering it for the first time on eBook, there's been a gap since August's release of #159 Daredevils but #109 The Prime-Time Crime and #110 The Secret of Sigma Seven have just been announced for a March release. It's still a long wait and it'll be even longer before they go back and release numbers 59-85 and the Casefiles which are the ones I'm really looking forward to but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
--
-PjH.
--

MacGyver

Cool to know. Thanks for the update. :) 8) As I've said before, I don't really care for reading eBooks in general (and in any case, I've already got all the Digests already anyway- mostly Minstrel printings, with some Wanderer copies too.)- but I'm sure some others on here will enjoy having The Hardy Boys in electronic format. It's interesting how Simon & Schuster seems to be kinda haphazardly releasing titles at random, rather than in the order they were originally released, but oh well. It's good to see them becoming available as eBooks. Hopefully, soon all the Digests and Casefiles will be available as eBooks. It would be great to see this happen for the Original 58 books too- particularly if both the revised and original text versions could be released. (Though I'm doubtful if the original text would be released. If they were, they would probably come with some warning to indicate that they're meant for adult readers, since there is definitely some politically incorrect [not to mention some morally incorrect, albeit historically accurate] material in them.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

VLoneWolf

I don't have a eBook reader but  what is politically incorrect about the Hardy Boys?

Lungbarrow

MacGyver, the original 58 are already available as ebooks, although only in the revised editions.
VLoneWolf, MacGyver is referring to the original versions of the first 38 books which were revised in the 60s and 70s partly to remove racial stereotypes.
--
-PjH.
--

Lungbarrow

There's another couple up now - #111 Three Ring Terror and #112 Demolition Mission. Scheduled for release a week after #109 and #110.
--
-PjH.
--

tomswift2002

Although the three main stories that are politically incorrect nowadays are "Hunting For Hidden Gold", "Footprints Under The a Window" and "The Hidden Harbor Mystery", due to their heavy use of stereotypical early-20th century literary Chinese and African-American characters.  If you've seen the early Walt Disney and Warner Brothers cartoons, you'll know what I mean.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

QuoteMacGyver, the original 58 are already available as ebooks, although only in the revised editions.
Okay- cool! 8) Thanks for letting me know, Lungbarrow.

QuoteAlthough the three main stories that are politically incorrect nowadays are "Hunting For Hidden Gold", "Footprints Under The a Window" and "The Hidden Harbor Mystery", due to their heavy use of stereotypical early-20th century literary Chinese and African-American characters.  If you've seen the early Walt Disney and Warner Brothers cartoons, you'll know what I mean.
It's unfortunate, but you also have to remember when those books were written and keep in mind their historical context. It doesn't make it right, but it does help you understand why it's there. And I don't know that the Stratemeyer Syndicate was consciously trying to make a racial statement against anyone with those books- it was just the way a lot of people in his day thought. It's similar to reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain- you have to understand the history of when the book was written. (Of course, with that book, part of the point was to decry slavery anyway.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"