Secret of the Red Arrow

Started by Bigfootman, January 31, 2012, 08:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on July 11, 2012, 06:22:48 PM
I hope it will be done differently than in the trilogies. I got the feel that maybe it was meant to be an ongoing story arc so that every book would immediately follow from the last one. I could be wrong on that of course, but it would certainly be a compelling reason to get kids to buy every book.

Well, it's not like similar strategies haven't been used in HB books before. Remember the not so subtle mention of the next book in the originals?

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on July 11, 2012, 07:11:09 PM
Well, it's not like similar strategies haven't been used in HB books before. Remember the not so subtle mention of the next book in the originals?

Yeah, I do. Really subtle... ::)

tomswift2002

I think the HBA covers look better.  The NDD covers make Nancy look only a year or two older than her Notebooks/Clue Crew self.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Lungbarrow

Quote from: SDLagent on July 11, 2012, 07:11:09 PM
Remember the not so subtle mention of the next book in the originals?

In the Armada paperbacks I used to read here in the UK, they used to change them to reflect the different publishing order here. So, early in the books where it said (from The Disappearing Floor):
QuoteIt was true that they had worked on a number of exciting cases since their first one, The Tower Treasure. On their most recent adventure they had solved the mystery of The Twisted Claw.
They changed it to:
QuoteIt was true that they had worked on a number of exciting cases, some of them a bit hair-raising.
Often they would mention The Mystery of the Aztec Warrior as being their first case and at the end mention the next book in the UK sequence - in this case, The Mystery of the Desert Giant.
Later on in the series though, they stopped bothering to make the changes - I've got some UK printings which mention The Tower Treasure as their first adventure and what appear to be some random stories as the previous and subsequent books. I can't tell you how much that confused me when I was trying to collect all of their early adventures!
--
-PjH.
--

MacGyver

QuoteWell, it's not like similar strategies haven't been used in HB books before. Remember the not so subtle mention of the next book in the originals?
I remember those very well. That's kind of what I was referencing there....I was just thinking that this approach might be slightly more so subtle...
But I always liked the announcement of the next title at the end of the book. :)

QuoteOften they would mention The Mystery of the Aztec Warrior as being their first case and at the end mention the next book in the UK sequence - in this case, The Mystery of the Desert Giant.
Later on in the series though, they stopped bothering to make the changes - I've got some UK printings which mention The Tower Treasure as their first adventure and what appear to be some random stories as the previous and subsequent books. I can't tell you how much that confused me when I was trying to collect all of their early adventures!

I know exactly what you're talking about. I grew up reading the British version of The Hardy Boys books and this was rather confusing.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: Lungbarrow on July 12, 2012, 04:50:05 AM

That was only for books 49 to 56, since they were printed by Grosset & Dunlap in the States (but with the copyright page, spine number, publisher on the spine and back cover, and the back cover book order representing the Collins order) due to the change in publishers from Grosset & Dunlap to Simon & Schuster, and in the UK the change occurred a year later between Collins and Angus & Robertson (although Collins managed to keep the paperback rights to the series).  So because of the court case, that's why those books were originally published with the incorrect titles being mentioned, but late in the 80's, when Collins got around to releasing the paperback Armada versions, the titles had been retype set and Anglicized and the correct titles were in the books. 

I know that Paul Mular has a copy of "A Figure In Hiding" from 1980 that's a Grosset & Dunlap American/Canadian edition, but the copyright page is the Collins copyright page that got in by accident.  "A Figure In Hiding" is #16 in the American/Canadian Series, but #49 in the Collins/Angus& Robertson series.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Fenlaur

I cannot wait for the new Hardy Boys! Feburary seems sooo far away!!!
FENLAUR

Lungbarrow

Quote from: Tomswift2002 on July 16, 2012, 06:46:39 PM
That was only for books 49 to 56, since they were printed by Grosset & Dunlap in the States (but with the copyright page, spine number, publisher on the spine and back cover, and the back cover book order representing the Collins order) due to the change in publishers from Grosset & Dunlap to Simon & Schuster, and in the UK the change occurred a year later between Collins and Angus & Robertson (although Collins managed to keep the paperback rights to the series).  So because of the court case, that's why those books were originally published with the incorrect titles being mentioned, but late in the 80's, when Collins got around to releasing the paperback Armada versions, the titles had been retype set and Anglicized and the correct titles were in the books.

I've got the Mulberry/Paragon 2-in-1 of A Figure In Hiding and The Secret Warning from the bottom of this page: http://www.hardyboys.co.uk/gallery/49.php and, while it's been reset to match the UK style (chapter headings, page count) the other novels mentioned are the US ones. Luckily these two books share the same order in both series but they do mention The Tower Treasure instead of The Aztec Warrior and the other novels mentioned are wrong for the UK order.
--
-PjH.
--

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Do the UK Hardy Boys books have different spellings then the US versions?

JoeHardyRocks

"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Lungbarrow

Quote from: Katie on July 17, 2012, 06:16:31 PM
Do the UK Hardy Boys books have different spellings then the US versions?

Often, yes. But I've found instances where whole phrases or words have been replaced with British versions. I just read The Disappearing Floor in the Armada paperback last week and checked it against the few pages available on Amazon's "look inside" feature. From memory, I noticed, the "trunk" of a car changed to "boot" and one instance of "good night!" as an exclamation changed to "good grief!". It's possible however that "good night!" was changed because it was felt to be outdated by the time the book got published in the UK - but that's just speculation now - it's certainly a phrase I've only ever heard used that way in Hardy Boys books.
--
-PjH.
--

Lungbarrow

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on July 17, 2012, 06:35:14 PM
She looks 13. :(

Don't worry about that as an indication of what age range the books are written for - the S&S web page states this for each book. The ones for Secret of the Red Arrow (http://books.simonandschuster.com/Secret-of-the-Red-Arrow/Franklin-W-Dixon/Hardy-Boys-Adventures/9781442465855) and Curse of the Arctic Star (http://books.simonandschuster.com/Curse-of-the-Arctic-Star/Carolyn-Keene/Nancy-Drew-Diaries/9781442466104) state ages 8-12. That's the same as the digests and the Undercover Brothers. The Secret Files are aimed at ages 6-9 so if that's what you're worried about, they're definitely not taking them down to that reading level.

If it's actually Nancy's (and therefore Frank and Joe's) age within the stories that you're worried about, read the synopses at that blog I linked to. Nancy has gone on a cruise with her friends and "an old friend of Nancy's, is the Assistant Cruise Director". That would indicate to me an age of 17-18 at the very least.
--
-PjH.
--

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Lungbarrow on July 18, 2012, 03:06:13 AM
Often, yes. But I've found instances where whole phrases or words have been replaced with British versions. I just read The Disappearing Floor in the Armada paperback last week and checked it against the few pages available on Amazon's "look inside" feature. From memory, I noticed, the "trunk" of a car changed to "boot" and one instance of "good night!" as an exclamation changed to "good grief!". It's possible however that "good night!" was changed because it was felt to be outdated by the time the book got published in the UK - but that's just speculation now - it's certainly a phrase I've only ever heard used that way in Hardy Boys books.

Is the UB series the same spelling as the US versions?