Danger Overseas

Started by tomswift2002, November 14, 2007, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

Quote from: mystery chick 901 on May 11, 2008, 11:08:49 AM
I thought the book was great, but I was wondering if it was supposed to be a yearly series? I might die if I have to wait another year for the third one to come out! :)

Both the crossover and non-crossover Super Mystery series come out once a year. The first two Nancy Drew crossovers were published about 11 mouths apart and same thing with the first two non-crossovers, book three ''Haunted'' will be published in August, making it months between #2 and #3, I could be wrong, but I believe this is the longest time period between books in a Hardy Boys series, since the original series (the two SuperSleuths! books were three years apart but weren't planned to be a series, actually just a book and a sequel)! Even Digests 85 and 86 were published closer together!   

Your right, it's too bad they don't come out more often, but maybe that's why there better then the main UB series.

tomswift2002

I think Super Sleuths! Volume 2 was probably put out to try and promote the other Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew novels that came out in 1984.  Since in 1984 you saw the first 4 Be A Detective stories come out, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Campfire Stories , The Hardy Boys Ghost Stories (the 1st Nancy Drew Ghost Stories appeared in 1983).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Q

I didn't not really like the Super Sleuths! series

tomswift2002

Even though they are short stories, the stories are a lot better than a lot of recent Undercover Brothers stories.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

tomswift2002

I've just started to read Danger Overseas, and already I've got to ask who S&S had editing this book.  It is atrocious.  Sometimes I've had to go back and reread a whole page just to figure out what the writer was trying to write or say.  I've seen sentences that are run on sentences, sentences that are missing either words or puctuation marks.  Sometimes the sentence takes a different meaning than the one the author intended because they used, say their, when they are trying to indicate a place, instead the make it a possessive, when they should've been using 'there'.

mystery chick 901

Yeah, i noticed that. But it's definatly worth reading.

Jokerette

i agree with Q. i also think the new Super Mysteries are too Nancy Drew centered. if you have noticed that these are supposed to be written by both authors.
I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

Olivia

I finally read this one, and I have to say that I almost entirely agree with HardyBoysWiki's thoughts - it was a fantastic read! Sure, I did find a couple small things I didn't like about it, but wow, what a relief and what an improvement! I found it funny and good-natured at the right times.

The only thing really noticeable (to me anyways) was the balance being just a tad off. The first half of the book was filled with a lot of info (I don't mind explanations at all, like about history and things) but then the last half was boom-bang-bing-done. I completely understand why they did it the way they did, so when the climax/conclusion came around, we would have the background knowledge. But still, I think they could have eased up just a tad in the first half of the book, and extend what happened in the second half more (as what HardyBoysWiki was saying).

Overall, though, a very nice read! Probably in my top 3 for this recent series, next to Wanted! :)

JoeHardyRocks

If you noticed, they also switched it from 'The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew' to 'Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys' ;D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

tomswift2002

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on July 20, 2008, 05:25:23 PM
If you noticed, they also switched it from 'The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew' to 'Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys' ;D

They didn't do any such switch.

SDLagent

In print it has always been ''Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys'', but on the first cover of Danger Overseas released on the Internet, ''The Hardy Boys'' came first in the title.

Also in the sneak peek in UB Super Mystery #2 ''Kidnapped'', it says ''The Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Super Mystery''.

So you are both wrong and both right, at the same time if that makes any sense.

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: tomswift2002 on July 21, 2008, 09:12:56 PM
They didn't do any such switch.

I mean on the cover of the  book.
"Thank you, Joe."

SDLagent

Um, I just explained that!

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: Firefox on July 12, 2008, 10:20:42 AM
i agree with Q. i also think the new Super Mysteries are too Nancy Drew centered. if you have noticed that these are supposed to be written by both authors.

Yeah, because they alternate between chapters like 'Frank Nancy Joe Nancy Frank Nancy Joe Nancy' It has too much about Nancy in it! it might be better if it was 'Frank Nancy Joe Frank Nancy Joe'...
"Thank you, Joe."

Olivia

Well, I thought Danger Overseas was a good balance of all three detectives. Except it seemed there was more HBs, or it just felt like it anyways. Unless I'm completely wrong...