Danger Overseas

Started by tomswift2002, November 14, 2007, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Quote from: Sam Spade on November 29, 2007, 11:10:50 PM
Hmmm, I don't know why they would want to take the interior illustrations out of 'em...

I think S&S might've been thinking that it would've been cheaper to just redo one picture every couple of years than to be having an artist draw 7 or 8 pictures per book.  If you look at an interior picture in a Wanderer edition you'll notice that the Hardy's are pretty well in the 1980's, where as if you look at a picture in a Grosset & Dunlap book, there are a few pictures that show like a 1950's car and dates it that way, but if its just a picture of people looking out a window, then those were usually drawn in more of a style that would be acceptable throughout the ages and would be hard to date.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Click here too see the plot summary of ''Danger Overseas''.

I know I all ready mentioned this else were on the forum but when that I saw this thread, I thought it was a better place to post it.   

SDLagent

There is still hope for you fans of the Nancy/Frank relationship.

I picked up a copy of ''Danger Overseas'' at my local book store today. I'll post a review of the book when I am finished, but for now I'll just mention a few things of interest.

Also we find out that while it may not have been evident in book #1 ''Terror on Tour'', Joe suspects that Frank does in fact have a romantic attraction to Nancy, like he does in the SuperMystery '88 series.

QuoteHe was thrilled to see the girls again--especially Nancy. Though he wouldn't admit it, I was fairly sure he had a little crush on her. Frank goes gaga for smart girls. And Nancy was super cute on top of that.

Also noteworthy is that we got the best physical description of the boys we have had in years (pages 25-26). And on page one we are told that Frank weighs 170lbs. This is not only the first time in the Undercover Brothers Continuity that Frank's weight is revealed, but (if I am not mistaken) the first time it has ever been revealed in the entire series.

A few other interesting things:

• On page ii there is a list of Nancy Drew books and Hardy Boys books, but I noticed that it is the same one used in ''Terror on Tour'' six books out of date, and even ''Terror on Tour'' it's self is not included.
  • The title is written in different font on the cover then book #1 was, but is the same on the inside title page.
  • Again the book's opening scene is with the Hardys, this time told by Frank.
  • Unlike ''Terror on Tour'' two consecutive chapters are narrated by the Hardy boys.
  • Joe cuts into Frank's part of the story, and Frank does likewise, this has been seen in the regular UB book regularly but was not done in ''Terror on Tour''.

So far I have only read as far as chapter four, but so far I am happy to say that this book seems to be an improvement over ''Terror on Tour''. 

tomswift2002

Hopefully I'll get the book by mail tomorrow or Monday.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Olivia

Quote from: HardyBoysWiki on April 30, 2008, 08:39:11 PM
There is still hope for you fans of the Nancy/Frank relationship.

I picked up a copy of ''Danger Overseas'' at my local book store today. I'll post a review of the book when I am finished, but for now I'll just mention a few things of interest.

Also we find out that while it may not have been evident in book #1 ''Terror on Tour'', Joe suspects that Frank does in fact have a romantic attraction to Nancy, like he does in the SuperMystery '88 series.

Well, that's a surprise!

SDLagent

Finished the book today, I have to say it was a very enjoyable read and far better then the first volume ii the series. Since most haven't read it yet, I'll include minimum of spoilers in this review, except for at the very end and I have marked clearly were they begin.

I found that this book is more detailed then other books in the UB continuity, at one point when Nancy is preparing dinner, the author walks us though her actions and tells us what ingredients she is using in her salad. As well as physical descriptions of Frank, Joe, Nancy, George, and Bess.

I mentioned in my last post that Frank is attracted to Nancy, and as the book progresses we are told that Nancy has much the same feelings for Frank. While this may be a little inconsistent with ''Terror on Tour'' I think this change is an improvement, and I think this book could be considered a good prologue to the SuperMystery '88 series.

Another good thing about this book is that the characters personalities are more like they are in the original series, e.g. George uses a PDA but she isn't portrayed as a techno geek like she was in the first book, Nancy isn't forgetful, no mention is made of Bess's skill with a wrench, and the Hardy brothers relationship is more like it is in past series. They tease each other but it doesn't come off mean spirited like it does sometimes in UB books, on the other hand I found it quite funny. Also unlike other UB books they are willing to admit the other was right. Unfortunately however, Frank is still a bit of a geek around girls, not quite as much as he sometimes is though.

An over all good book and nice change of pace from the recycled plots of the regular UB series. Even if you disliked the first book in the series I think you will enjoy this one.

5/5

Warning Spoilers Follow, to read them drag your mouse over the area below.

The biggest down fall of the book is the climax or lack there of, I think the last chapter could of had a bit more danger and drama then it did.

Finaly a GANG of crimanls and bad guys with a motive other then being crazy, at that.

Olivia

Thanks for that review! I'm now looking forward to it :)

P.S. Thanks for being careful with spoilers too. I don't like spoilers (especially specific ones). General ones aren't bad.

tomswift2002

Just got my email today telling me the Danger overseas is in the mail.

SDLagent

Quote from: oliviatocali on May 02, 2008, 04:48:08 PM
Thanks for that review! I'm now looking forward to it :)

P.S. Thanks for being careful with spoilers too. I don't like spoilers (especially specific ones). General ones aren't bad.
No problem oliviatocali , don't like spoilers myself, so I try to be careful.

Here is a few more of my thoughts on the book. But be warned the following includes major spoilers ? view at your own risk. Like my last post I have put major spoilers in yellow, if you want to read them drag your pointer over the text below. 

As I mentioned before I don't much care for the ending, because of the lack of suspense. I think the writer should have added about 15 pages to the story, and had a confrontation with Claude Bonaire or a fight with someone else at least.

I thought it was interesting that the book ended without us finding out if Bonaire is even is one of the bad guys, and without Joanna Paoli being captured by the police. Makes me think that the next Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Super Mystery could be a direct sequel to Danger Overseas. If S&S is not planing to make a sequel however, I have to say that they or the author did a very poor job tying up the loose ends.

tomswift2002

Could we have another Disapperaing Floor on our hands?

tomswift2002

I just got my copy of the book today and I glanced at a few pages throughout the book.  I wasn't that impressed with the last page.  It seemed that the author made up the ATAC helping to get the charges dropped against the one guy very quickly, since the writing of that page seems to indicate that that paragraph may've been added by an editor so that they would not fall into the "Harry Tanwick" loop that was started decades ago.

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 05, 2008, 05:24:45 PM
Could we have another Disapperaing Floor on our hands?
Which version are you referring to, the original or revised? I've only read the revised text, and I can't remember much similarity between The Disappearing Floor and Danger Overseas (but it has been about three years since I read it, so I don't remember much about).

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 05, 2008, 05:27:00 PM
I just got my copy of the book today and I glanced at a few pages throughout the book.  I wasn't that impressed with the last page.  It seemed that the author made up the ATAC helping to get the charges dropped against the one guy very quickly, since the writing of that page seems to indicate that that paragraph may've been added by an editor so that they would not fall into the "Harry Tanwick" loop that was started decades ago.
I also thought it was a bit strange that ATAC would try to get the charges dismissed. What's the ''Henry Tanwick'' loop?

And Tom, not to be rude  but it's weird that you read the last page of a book before you have even started it. ::) Some one I know does that and I didn't know of any one else that does that until I read your post. Doesn't it sort of ruin the surprises of the story for you?   

Q

I do it sometimes and it doesn't spoil it for me.

tomswift2002

Quote from: HardyBoysWiki on May 05, 2008, 10:06:26 PM
Which version are you referring to, the original or revised? I've only read the revised text, and I can't remember much similarity between The Disappearing Floor and Danger Overseas (but it has been about three years since I read it, so I don't remember much about).

I thought that I'd get you on that.  I was referring to the original text of The Disappearing Floor which I haven't had the chance to read, but I've been told by others who've read it that the story basically goes places just to fill up chapter space with no real purpose to the case.
I also thought it was a bit strange that ATAC would try to get the charges dismissed. What's the ''Henry Tanwick'' loop?

In the Original version of The Disappearing Floor the Hardy's find a wallet with the identification for a man named "Harry Tanwick".  Who this "Harry Tanwick" is is never explained in the story and even in the plot outline made up by Edna Stratemeyer Squire it just says that the Hardy's never find out who "Harry Tanwick" is.  If you look in issue 32 of Bob Finnan's Bayport Times (http://hardyboys.bobfinnan.com/bt32.htm) you'll see just how some people have run with this long-unsolved Hardy Boys mystery.

QuoteAnd Tom, not to be rude  but it's weird that you read the last page of a book before you have even started it. ::) Some one I know does that and I didn't know of any one else that does that until I read your post. Doesn't it sort of ruin the surprises of the story for you?  

I was actually looking to see how long the book was and I just got a little bit of the curiosites to see just how well the author wrote the last page.  Sometimes the last pages are written with no real concern as to how the book is going to end.  And this was one.

mystery chick 901

I thought the book was great, but I was wondering if it was supposed to be a yearly series? I might die if I have to wait another year for the third one to come out! :)