#6 Stage Fright

Started by tomswift2002, August 13, 2012, 01:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

I just started Stage Fright yesterday, and right off the bat I've got to ask, is ATAC's phone number in the phone book or something?  This is one thing that has annoyed me during the entire series.  In Chapter one it is mentioned that the people responsible for the play, apparently, called ATAC themselves.  Themselves!  Back in the beginning of the series, and every book since then, I thought that ATAC was an ultra-secret government organization, and that only police chiefs and higher know of the organization.  But apparently, the average person can some how find out about ATAC and call in theses "secret agents".

I'm just glad this series has ended, all the inconsistencies...
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Maybe an ATAC agent moonlights working in the theater? ???
Who knows? Yeah- it sounds like it's had its share of inconsistencies from all I've heard about the series and what bits I have actually read myself...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I'm a little farther into the book, but boy, the author has already parodied "Glee!" in this book by saying that the actress in trouble is from a hot TV show called "Joy", which is about a high school girl who goes around solving problems with songs.  But then the author had too put in that there are three "Joy" cast albums out.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

haha- got to keep it relevant for the kids, man. :) ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on August 14, 2012, 07:59:03 PM
haha- got to keep it relevant for the kids, man. :) ;D

I hardly ever hear of anyone talking about Glee these days.  But in a few years all these cult references are going to seriously date the UB's to the late-2000's early 2010's.

MacGyver

Well, if there's a good story behind all the references, it doesn't matter as much. The problem is- from what I hear, most of the time that's not the case with the UB books.....

tomswift2002

I was reading more of the book today and more unusual actions for the UB Hardy's pop up.  First, Frank blurts right out to the suspect that they work for American Teens Against Crime---and gets the suspect to admit their crime.  Not only is the incorrect ATAC procedure, but if I was in the suspect's position I would think that American Teens Against Crime was some sort of politically rally group and not an actual law enforcement agency.

Then Joe whips out a set of handcuffs to cuff another suspect to their car door.  Just where did Joe get the cuffs?  They would've been great on other cases.

Also, what's up with the reuse of character's from earlier novels.  Sure they're named differently and described differently, but the characterization is the same as other UB characters!  (Damien reminds me of too many co-workers of other UB celebrities who are obssessed fans of the celebrity.)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 13, 2012, 01:58:43 PM
I just started Stage Fright yesterday, and right off the bat I've got to ask, is ATAC's phone number in the phone book or something?  This is one thing that has annoyed me during the entire series.  In Chapter one it is mentioned that the people responsible for the play, apparently, called ATAC themselves.  Themselves!  Back in the beginning of the series, and every book since then, I thought that ATAC was an ultra-secret government organization, and that only police chiefs and higher know of the organization.  But apparently, the average person can some how find out about ATAC and call in theses "secret agents".

I'm just glad this series has ended, all the inconsistencies...

Yeah, I still want to get the final two in the series, but I do wonder if ATAC is somewhere in the phone book. Haha, just checked mine and nope, not there. :P

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Since when did Frank and Joe have ATAC badges?